Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds CPO disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone ends their terrible experiences with the statement “It was all worth it.”

It doesn’t have to be with way. It’s like excusing them for their incompetence because you are excited to finally get your car.

Note that the video ends with his friend stuck with an X he can’t drive because he can’t get plates without a title AFTER 3 MONTHS! Are we going to see a video following up on that?

I guess the big question now is will Tesla make the necessary changes to sell quality used cars in a reasonable way worthy of the Tesla brand image and worthy of the trust and faith placed in Tesla by their customers?

I hope they decide to overhaul this whole CPO/used/WhateverTheyWantToCallIt process to at least match the quality and service offered by a Kia dealer selling CPO cars. Hopefully we can all agree that rising up to the level of service and quality offered by a used Kia dealer is not an unreasonable expectation.

Reactions: kablammyman
I wonder what the outcome would have been if he had 400 followers an not 400,000 followers?

This kind of happened to me with "a few hundred followers on FB lol". I was delayed multiple times, but they finally took care of me. The only difference between Rich and others was that he was given the previous CPO level of treatment.

I feel the individual Tesla employees try their darndest to make it happen but they're simply overworked or working with such a broken system that they're unable to do anything without resorting to wasted hours manually overriding stupid decisions that have been compounded on.

I find it hilarious when he showed the issue with snow doors being unable to open and drive that the had to take out a battery charger for his Corvette in the cold that wouldn't start up period lol. Just to EMPHASIZE that lots of cars have problems in the cold (low cranking amps behavior in the lead acid pack) that is not limited to just Tesla's.

I guess the big question now is will Tesla make the necessary changes to sell quality used cars in a reasonable way worthy of the Tesla brand image and worthy of the trust and faith placed in Tesla by their customers?

They can make good money with a genuine CPO program. The only reason they can't do it now is that they have made a mess of their service operation and inventory system.

It's nice that Rich got a CPO. Even with his sometimes negative Tesla content the channel is still a net positive for the company.

They can make good money with a genuine CPO program. The only reason they can't do it now is that they have made a mess of their service operation and inventory system.

It's nice that Rich got a CPO. Even with his sometimes negative Tesla content the channel is still a net positive for the company.

As I've said many times, if Kia can refurbish and sell CPO cars for $17K and still make a profit there is no reason Tesla can't refurbish and sell CPO cars costing 4X that or more and make a profit.

Indeed many times Tesla discounts their CPO cars by $10-17K or more when cars are not bought by customers who see photos with all sorts of damage. Just about a month of depreciation for a used car in their inventory will in most cases pay for the refurbishing needed to sell the car as a CPO.

In order to save that $1200-2,000, if it takes them two months plus daily or weekly discounts to sell the car what have they gained?! On top of that they provider horrible customer service that tarnishes their reputation, brand imagine, and the customer's sentiments towards Tesla... what has Tesla accomplished with this current awful policy of selling poor quality cars with bad customer service? They save $1,200 to $2,000 a car only to have lost far more than that. How could this awful treatment of customers continue when the cost to fix this is likely less than what is costing them in terms of dollars and ruined reputation?

I'm beginning to believe Tesla doesn't care, if they did something would have been done by now. This is nothing new, parts supply have been an issue since day one. The problem was only amplified by the Model 3 ramp up and now service is suffering.

I'm beginning to believe Tesla doesn't care, if they did something would have been done by now. This is nothing new, parts supply have been an issue since day one. The problem was only amplified by the Model 3 ramp up and now service is suffering.

The only difference is that the parts shortage for repairs does not directly affect sales but the horrible way they sell CPO cars does affect sales and it really does cost them in tarnished reputation and the additional time it may take to sell a car that is all banged up.

Rich's video have been now viewed over 2 million times. Wonder what those people now feel about buying a car from Tesla. Their whole approach to not wanting to fix the awful CPO program and the horrible treatment of customers who buy a CPO car really is penny wise pound foolish when they can simply sell quality cars and mark up the cars by how much it costs to sell quality cars and offer decent customer service.

Just getting photos of a CPO car for sale is an ordeal. Why do you have to click a button, send a request, and wait for who knows how long to see photos of a used car available for sale. I don't understand why they have to make things so awful.

Reactions: ArizonaP85

They care, but they are a big company now. They under invested and under managed in critical areas. They can't turn that around in a couple of months while simultaneously laying off staff. What is particularly remarkable is that they didn't establish the procedures and systems needed now when they were just selling the S and X. Anyone with even a moderate level of operations experience would know that this cluster frack was coming.

But hey, there's a test tunnel under LA that all Tesla owners waiting for parts can enjoy about while their cars sit in the shop. The import thing here is that Musk has something to tweet about. No one is interested in tweets about establishing proper procedures and internal systems.

I feel the individual Tesla employees try their darndest to make it happen but they're simply overworked or working with such a broken system that they're unable to do anything without resorting to wasted hours manually overriding stupid decisions that have been compounded on.
100%. I have met with and had great service often by a select few, it came down to them having an incredibly high level of personal integrity and accountability.

If you have the right people, then the right problems can get fixed.

I still think Elon naively thought it would be easier. Build the perfect alien dreadnaught car making factory and it would make perfect cars. Since the cars were perfect they would only need brakes and tires every few years. By the time the cars needed these, they would just drive themselves to the automated service center and drive back before owners woke up. He probably figured he could run the whole thing from his iPad while going to Mars.

They care, but they are a big company now. They under invested and under managed in critical areas. They can't turn that around in a couple of months while simultaneously laying off staff. What is particularly remarkable is that they didn't establish the procedures and systems needed now when they were just selling the S and X. Anyone with even a moderate level of operations experience would know that this cluster frack was coming.

But hey, there's a test tunnel under LA that all Tesla owners waiting for parts can enjoy about while their cars sit in the shop. The import thing here is that Musk has something to tweet about. No one is interested in tweets about establishing proper procedures and internal systems.

We are not talking about turning this around in a couple of months though. This awful CPO mess has been now going on for about a year.

Hopefully they will fix this soon. I know they like to do things their own way but they don't necessarily need to come up with the worst way possible to sell a used car...

Reactions: 1 person
Success needs a timeline or goal to achieve. Otherwise everything is existence is a guaranteed failure. What's the measure of whether or not Tesla is a success? The best option is probably to look at their mission statement, which is something like "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy". Has that already happened? Has it not happened? Is it in the process of happening? It's a fuzzy mission, and whether or not it has been achieved is subjective. Some could say, at this point, Tesla is a success. Others could say it is not; at least, not yet. And I don't think either would be wrong.

I don't think stockholders would view Tesla as a success if they accomplish that mission (i.e. acting as a catalyst for the majors) while going under in the process.

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
I don't think stockholders would view Tesla as a success if they accomplish that mission (i.e. acting as a catalyst for the majors) while going under in the process.
I think one of the reasons TSLA resists the short articles so well is that there are quite a number of stockholders who not only see through their thin rhetoric, but are willing to bet that even if there is smoke there, then the end goal is worth the risk of that smoke being an unrevealed fire. If the stockholders only wanted to invest in the "next big thing", the stock would not have taken off like it did and held that ground for so long.

With respect to how such a stockholder would feel about going under - if that result came from stiff competition in the BEV marketplace then I think the reaction would be much better than if Tesla went under without catalyzing any change in the industry and probably even better than if Tesla eventually came out with a PHEV line in order to "just survive".