Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S driver claims his parked car moved on its own and hit parked trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the double tap can be activated accidentally like many have posted and the user did leave without knowing or realizing I think Tesla should handle the repair since it's Beta. If we are going to be guinea pigs and the UX allows for mistakes they need to cover the possible outcomes.

The exact reason why Tesla will not and should not "handle the repair" is *because* it's beta. That's what people accepted when they turned it on and agreed to. The driver is responsible!

• Love
Reactions: wcfinvader
If the double tap can be activated accidentally like many have posted and the user did leave without knowing or realizing I think Tesla should handle the repair since it's Beta. If we are going to be guinea pigs and the UX allows for mistakes they need to cover the possible outcomes.

On the flip side though, He didnt have to have the autopark feature activated. Thus making him choose to be a "guinea pig". I for one love the double tap of the stalk. Makes it more uniform when I get home. dont need to pull out my phone or fob anymore, just pull in and get out and go in the house.

The exact reason why Tesla will not and should not "handle the repair" is *because* it's beta. That's what people accepted when they turned it on and agreed to. The driver is responsible!
I understand it is Beta and there is an agreement, but if the UX is confusing or allows for mistakes then Tesla needs to bear some responsibility. If on the other hand, he was outside the vehicle, talking to someone and he clicked on summons on his phone to show off and hit the truck it would be completely his fault. If what happened was that he hit park twice, didn't realize there were warnings before stepping out because he had never done it before and then the vehicle committed suicide its on Tesla.

The big question for me is not whether or how it was activated (accidentally or otherwise) but why once activated did it hit anything?
Look at the truck, too high for the ultrasonic sensors to detect there was something there, and I have never tried summons but I can imagine you can park to very low tolerances so that it fits in a garage. Maybe less than 6 inches from the wall, not sure will need to read the manual.

The original article (which the Electrek article links to) has a statement from Tesla that Summon was activated by double-pressing the Park button: Man says Tesla car started on its own, crashed into trailer | KSL.com
Here is some text from that article:
-------------------------------------------
“Tesla has reviewed the vehicle’s logs, which show that the incident occurred as a result of the driver not being properly attentive to the vehicle’s surroundings while using the Summon feature or maintaining responsibility for safely controlling the vehicle at all times,” the letter signed by a regional service manager read.

The letter said the Summon feature — which enables a Tesla vehicle to park itself, among other functions — “was initiated by a double-press of the gear selector stalk button, shifting from Drive to Park and requesting Summon activation.”

The letter said three seconds after Overton exited the car and closed the door, the Summon function initiated.

Overton disputed the findings, saying he put the vehicle in park and did not believe he ever initiated the self-park function.
------------------------------------------

And this article Tesla pushes a new update with improved ‘Autopark’ and ‘Summon’ feature [v7.1 2.12.22 release notes] says that with updatev7.1 2.12.22 Summon can be activated by double pressing the Park button and quotes from the release notes:
"Automatically initiate Autopark after you exit the vehicle: Simply double-press the Park button on the end of the gear selector and a pop-up will appear on the touchscreen that displays the direction Model S will move after you exit the vehicle."

So what is confusing me in this discussion is that the words "AutoPark" and "Summon" are being used to describe the same event. And apparently Tesla does that as well. I always thought those were different things.

It seems possible that the driver of the car being discussed inadvertently double pressed the Park button on the end of the gear selector stalk after he finished parking the car next to the curb and next to the trailer shown in the photo. He apparently ignored the chime and onscreen message saying that AutoPark was activated. He then exited the car, didn't realize that the car was now in AutoPark mode and was attempting to park itself, even though in his mind he had simply parked the car, put it in Park, and exited.

Then the driver says he stood next to the car "for 20 seconds" talking to a passer by and never saw the car move. Then he left the area. I suspect it was less than 20 seconds, and during that time the car was evaluating its surrounding and determining what to do to park itself, since it had been inadvertently instructed to do so. Then the driver walked away as the car started moving. It could not perceive the end of the trailer because it was too high off the ground.

Sort of a comedy of errors, initiated unknowingly by the driver.

My conclusion: Summon should only be able to be initiated by using the key fob or the smartphone app. AutoPark should only be initiated by using the center display because that requires the focused attention of the driver. Don't allow either to be initiated by using the Park button.

I haven't used the double-tap summons feature yet, but doesn't it ask which direction you want to go after you exit the vehicle? If the driver didn't touch the screen, does summons abort or does it choose a random direction? I guess if the driver was distracted he may have touched the screen for some reason.

A related question: given the same setup but with TACC enabled and the S approaching a stopped trailer with similar geometry, would TACC be able to stop the S properly?

Is the summon/auto park feature automatically enabled for a new car? If it is something you have to turn off rather than on, then I could see the argument for Tesla paying because it is a beta. If you have to opt IN to turn on Summon, then it falls more on the driver for the beta status.

I triggered the "windows down" option back in the early days of the Model S, but it would take a special kind of contorting to press and hold the middle FOB button and then press the trunk/frunk button while in your pocket. But not impossible, I guess. My recommendation would be to lose the skinny jeans. ;)
You might imagine that, but I did it a number of times and I don't wear no skinny jeans and the only contorting I did was leaning over to reach dishes. (Key pressed against counter edge.) No harm done because my car was immobilized by being plugged in, but I've turned Summon off.

Driver whose Tesla Model S crashed while using Summon was breaking all the rules quotes Tesla as saying:

The vehicle logs confirm that the automatic Summon feature was initiated by a double-press of the gear selector stalk button, shifting from Drive to Park and requesting Summon activation. The driver was alerted of the Summon activation with an audible chime and a pop-up message on the center touchscreen display.
and so on, at great length. So it wasn't a butt-summon at all.

Because Tesla clearly states in the software release notes the following, quotej (bold emphasis is mine):
------------------------------------
  • Model S may not detect certain obstacles, including those that are very narrow (e.g., bikes), lower than the fascia, or hanging from the ceiling. As such, Summon requires that you continually monitor your vehicle’s movement and surroundings while it is in progress, and that you remain prepared to stop the vehicle at any time using the Tesla mobile app, by pressing any button on the key fob, or by pressing any Model S door handle.

So the driver in this instance failed to follow those instructions. The driver says that he was not aware that he put the car into Summon or AutoPark mode. Tesla says the vehicle logs show that someone did. When the car is put into that mode, there is an audible alert and an onscreen message.

Is the summon/auto park feature automatically enabled for a new car? If it is something you have to turn off rather than on, then I could see the argument for Tesla paying because it is a beta. If you have to opt IN to turn on Summon, then it falls more on the driver for the beta status.
From the Owner's Manual with regard to Customizing Summon:
Before operating Summon, use the touchscreen to enable it. Touch Controls > Settings > Driver
Assistance > Summon > ON
Require Continuous Press (U.S. Only): By default, Summon requires that you press and hold a
button on the mobile app to move the vehicle during the parking process. When you set
Require Continuous Press to NO, you can:
• Park Model S by simply double pressing the Park gear, specifying the direction on the
touchscreen (if reversing), then exiting the vehicle.

As to terminology: for Tesla -- per the Owner's Manual -- AutoPark is the designation for a set of two features: parking on public roads, and Summon for use on private property.
Doesn't the parking function require you to select the parking space on the touch screen before it starts parking? So I doubt this case was that one. The summon one was probably what was activated.

And as others point out, the summon function is opt-in (as is the disabling of the continuous press requirement).

I suspect what happened was the driver wanted to show off the parking feature, but wasn't able to stop the car from hitting the trailer (unfortunately, the car was facing the front of the trailer, where it doesn't have the mansfield bar, so the sensors didn't detect it).

Why is it the drivers fault? The car should not have hit the trailer on it's own, especially at such slow speeds with everything else around the car stationary. Even if the trailer jumped out in front of the car at least the brakes should have engaged.
There does not exist a single car on the market that guarantees to recognize 100% of hazardous objects on the road. The Model S in particular has a single forward radar and mere ultrasonic park sensors. Doppler radar does not detect stopped objects, and ultrasonic sensors do not detect obstructions not parallel with the bumper. The car has not been advertised to be 100% impervious to these situations…. nor should one expect it to be. The manual is riddled with warnings regarding what situations the collision assist and park assist systems does not account for.