Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish I were there having a beer with you.
Six of these, 500ml double-IPA's, I'm struggling to see straight, never mind type... 🍻

Beautiful plumage...

1710536978305.png

My problem is that I'm not getting any younger, I'm 58 this year and don't really have the time-frame to sink a ton of capital into a stock that might not go anywhere for several years

And I really am tired of the drama and seriously question the judgement of Musk going forwards, I think would be better if he left, let the stock crash, then recover under a more stable leadership - if it dumped way below 100 then maybe

In retrospect, Zach was the one steadying the ship, has been downhill since he left

And let's not forget that we are seriously overdue a macro correction, S&P has been straight-line +25% since end of October, this is not normal
Darn, I can see your problem then. I'm at 36 and I'm already frustrated, at 58 I would probably be looking at something with better returns and winding down.

Yes I agree, I was also very tired of the drama. There are probably other companies out there that could get you some pretty decent returns with a LOT less drama. It may be worth looking into diversifying there. Which I did with NVDA. The CEO there is just not even on the same level as Elon in terms of "Drama" lol.

I'm also constantly scared of a macro breakdown. Recession most certainly is not priced in but even a healthy pullback is due soon isn't it? Who knows!

FYI, Buying options never works out for me. The MMs don't want me to have any money.

For next week I have 50X protective -165/+170P. So next week the closing SP will probably be 170.01

For 3/28, I have 100X -150/+160P, so the SP should close above 160.01.

Thought you guys should know....
Take it for FWIW but based on my experience buying protective puts in general is just lighting money on fire. The way to make money on these puts is to trade them intraday or buy them far out and think of it like buying insurance. Be ready to lose the premium but go at least one or two months out. This is not the time to buy puts no matter how bad the sentiment is. Day trading is so much better value.

Also next time before you open a position repeat this mantra: Buy low sell high three times and you will save money. I know it sounds crazy simple but helped me avoid a lot of bad trades.

Nice. What kind?

Time for mine. I’ll catch up to you.
Double-IPA, 500ml's, from the tap, so don't know the ABV, but would guess around 8%

Still feel drunk this morning 🥴 but I did manage to cycle home OK 😳

OK, back on topic... so I obviously missed watching the charts, that was some dump on both NVDA and SMCI. at 14:50, not seen across other stocks, neither AMD?

Also interesting to note that SMCI's closing cross was 6million shares, which is huge for them, but didn't have the big range or price we saw when TSLA was added to S&P

I'm still thinking SMCI might dump next week, but maybe that's just wishful thinking for the +p800's I bought

Reactions: Jim Holder
Darn, I can see your problem then. I'm at 36 and I'm already frustrated, at 58 I would probably be looking at something with better returns and winding down.

Yes I agree, I was also very tired of the drama. There are probably other companies out there that could get you some pretty decent returns with a LOT less drama. It may be worth looking into diversifying there. Which I did with NVDA. The CEO there is just not even on the same level as Elon in terms of "Drama" lol.

I'm also constantly scared of a macro breakdown. Recession most certainly is not priced in but even a healthy pullback is due soon isn't it? Who knows!
I'm fortunate that I bought my $TSLA 2015 -2019 and held the lot until end 2021, so even then losing half of what I had a ATH, I'm still wealthier now than I would ever have imagined

In the interim I've learned how to trade options quite effectively and with my current capital I only need to make 0.25% per week to replicate my income from the day job, writing -p145/-c185 strangles for next week would be enough, so it's very low risk

But I'm looking for 1% to have the income, grow the capital and target buying a house/apartment when the wife retires from her day-job in 7 years - she needs to work until then to get her full pension, which is a vert good pension, so worth it, and she actually likes working too

Then the idea is to move to Copenhagen and buy an apartment/house there...

So still time to grow the capital, but not through buying stock IMO, just continual, solid trading profits

What are you guys return year to date? My total portfolio return so far is -7%... Even though I sold 95% of my Tesla the little bit that I have keeps dragging me down. The 5% interest that I am getting on my cash is like watching paint dry but I need to understand that this is the normal way. VTI year to date is at +7% and last year something like +25%... . My goal is to end up flat for the year 🤣.

What are you guys return year to date? My total portfolio return so far is -7%... Even though I sold 95% of my Tesla the little bit that I have keeps dragging me down. The 5% interest that I am getting on my cash is like watching paint dry but I need to understand that this is the normal way. VTI year to date is at +7% and last year something like +25%... . My goal is to end up flat for the year 🤣.
Portfolio is -25% YTD, mostly due to all the 60x +c200's I bought at $122, I've traded +15% profits so far, although that will drop a lot now as I have 100x +c280's expired 15/03 - burner shares I bought for trading against, which in hindsight obviously should have been sold for profits in December, but that's the way it goes - and in any case, I sold heavily against them on the way down that more than compensated for that loss

Last edited:
-10%

Those 93x leaps I sold when stock was at 252 help dampen the drop, and my AMD help alleviate additional pain. Crazy now my AMD position is bigger than Tsla which it used to be a third of Tsla when at ATH.

Take it for FWIW but based on my experience buying protective puts in general is just lighting money on fire. The way to make money on these puts is to trade them intraday or buy them far out and think of it like buying insurance. Be ready to lose the premium but go at least one or two months out. This is not the time to buy puts no matter how bad the sentiment is. Day trading is so much better value.

Also next time before you open a position repeat this mantra: Buy low sell high three times and you will save money. I know it sounds crazy simple but helped me avoid a lot of bad trades.
Yeah, I'm wondering about getting rid of them at a slight profit. It puts almost $50k back in the account. For that money, I could sell $10,000 shares if the SP drops to 160, and buy them back if the SP recovers to 165....

It's pretty wild how this multi year consolidation period from 2021 to present (and probably for the rest of 2024/early 2025) is eerily similar to the 2013-2019 consolidation period.

To me at least, the dynamics is exactly the same if you swap the main debate. From 2013-2019, the debate was "Can Tesla grow to mass volume, profitably?" The market wasn't willing to give Tesla any benefit of the doubt it is was crystal clear what was going to happen not a year from then, but in the next 1-2 quarters.

Now it's "Is Tesla just an auto maker, not a tech/software company". It's becoming clear that the market is not going to give Tesla any benefit of the doubt with FSD software revenues/margins. Some of that is due to some understandable reasons - Elon has quite honestly been terrible as a CEO to shareholders both in his actions and the painful way he sold shares, the auto business margins keep dropping, Tesla continually keeps delaying new projects (Shanhai Megapack factory, Semi ramp, etc..) and Tesla has been absolutely terrible about creating their own narrative and laying out the roadmap for how FSD software revenue/margins start to increase and take over the hardware side.

Amazon was able to get a premium valuation for years and years while they had terrible operating margins and hit or miss profitability because they controlled the narrative and made it clear what the goal is. Tesla could learn a few things from how Bezo's operated Amazon during that time when it comes to controlling the narrative.

None of this changes the fact that if you track FSD progress, especially the progress on V12, then it's crystal clear what is coming in the next 1-2 year timeframe. Honestly if it wasn't for FSD, and the progress I've seen over the past year or so, I would have probably sold off a good amount of my position because I simply don't like how Elon doesn't take his role seriously as a CEO of a publicly traded company.
Overall, I agree with your post, however, I do think Elon takes his job seriously as a CEO, He is just juggling too many companies at once and clearly has full confidence in his Tesla Management team. His only negative is that he thinks his commenting publicly on every little thing that come into his head is what we all want to hear, but, as CEO, he has a fiduciary duty to the shareholders, however, he acts like a private citizen. Do I think his comments effect Tesla long term, no, but short term, he turns off many potential buyers and, that does effect Tesla and TSLA.

As for some people on this forum that think all his farts smell like roses and Elon can do no wrong, the saying goes, you can’t change stup*d/ignorance. This next year into 2025 is definitely going to be challenging, and I do believe in holding, but you also have to be smart with your money and if this will be “dead money” for the next year or so, why not take advantage of other quality companies and invest wisely during the next year.

Last edited: