Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, what is the deal with these ridiculous AH trades. Once was an anomaly, but now its happening every day. I find it hard to believe these are legit trades. Tin foil hat time: Whatever it is, it shakes confidence to see -25% or something every dang day. Is this some new conspiracy?

View attachment 184969

Edit: During today's super good trade I had an order open to buy 80 shares at 210. No one has taken me up on that offer, so no way are these just "someone got lucky" trades.

Agreed, it really doesn't make sense. Looks almost like the same time every day, too.

It's the shorts trying desperate measures to cause AH drops like after every trading day, but the methods are getting more and more panicky...
you know, TSLA could help out the shorts... It could make at the time when there is hardly any sellers left a secondary offering at far above market price so that the money the shorts wpuld pour into eliminating their short position wouldn't dilute the company. Say 27M short of 140M shares. That's about 20%. So offer at $270 27M shares for sale :) the shorts buy them from TSLA giving the company money and returning the shares to those already long :) it would prevent a spikey squeeze, but would give TSLA 7.3B ;)

Ok, what is the deal with these ridiculous AH trades. Once was an
Edit: During today's super good trade I had an order open to buy 80 shares at 210. No one has taken me up on that offer, so no way are these just "someone got lucky" trades.

Either someone is incredibly stupid to sell at such low prices, or they are actively trying to drive the price down. That last trade was for 600 shares. Do they have some way to control who buys their sales, so that the money stays in their (or their friends) hands?

IMHO, the SEC should be investigating after hours trading to see who is trying to control pricing.:confused:

Last edited:
My guess is someone went to the SEC asking for an investigation. The SEC responded that they would take a look. The person then went public saying that Tesla was 'being investigated'. While technically correct, anyone can do this to any company. If you ask the SEC to take a look at something they will, but it doesn't mean they'll do a full investigation. In my opinion CNBC was negligent in being used as the tool for this deceit.

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeC and dha
Either someone is incredibly stupid to sell at such low prices, or they are actively trying to drive the price down. That last trade was for 600 shares. Do they have some way to control who buys their sales, so that the money stays in their (or their friends) hands?

IMHO, the SEC should be investigating after hours trading to see who is trying to control pricing.

as Jim Cramer admits to here, they don't bother with that. they get a false story into the news, they invest some cash losing money pre-market or after-market to create the false impression of a sell-off in the hopes of creating a real selloff before the longs find out the story is bogus. of course, in this case today, we don't know at the moment whether the story is bogus or not.

Cars get into accidents. Some car accidents cause injuries. Some are fatal. Unfortunately, the same is true with and without autopilot.

This unfortunate accident is fodder for the press because autopilot is new and exciting. But car accidents, including accidents that cause injuries and fatalities, are just inevitable. I think most investors understand that and that's one reason the market shrugged off the news of the accident and the stock price rose the day Tesla reported the NHTSA had initiated a preliminary evaluation of the crash.

This is another tempest in a teapot, if that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MitchJi and dha
I don't understand why so many of you seem upset. I don't even know if this lingers until the opening tomorrow. I think instead of getting upset (ST Thread) I'd buy some shares, if I traded shares, in the post market. The SP will probably bounce back by tomorrow afternoon.

I don't think that I'd try to trade this with options but I hope I can at least take advantage of the dip to buy some that I was planning to buy anyway.

WSJ article on fake SEC investigation was fully open for me to read. Usually WSJ articles that I try to read are greyed out after a few sentences because I am not a subscriber. This makes me wonder why they allow the anti-Tesla FUD to go to all parties.
Why wouldn't they make the article free for you to read? It's already been paid for.... ;)

Regarding the SEC story: What a load of BS. SEC should investigate WSJ and CNBC to see if this "news" was pushed by a shortholder. The WSJ article has no new news, just noting that the SEC is reviewing the issue to determine if an investigation is required. It literally says there is no current investigation in the article. The CNBC tweet siting DowJones seems either wrong, or a complete fabrication. There is no DJ article or tweet I have found.

• Informative
Reactions: dha
FUD machine is on. Generally all issues being parroted are ones we've already discussed here. I, of course, think that often, because I'm one of the canaries, then think others are overreacting after we've looked at it. But the market has slow movers too, and that's part of it.

Generally the outstanding issues have been holding back higher raises, rather than pushing lower. The nice thing about "autopilot", "SCTY 2.0", and Model 3, is that within a couple years we should see where they're headed. Things are looking ok.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Buran and dha

IMHO, the SEC should be investigating after hours trading to see who is trying to control pricing.:confused:
Yes, why isn't the SEC investigating this? I've always accepted that the market was manipulated, but they could at least pretend to care about real manipulation.

From the THIRD (!!!) update to the original story by Dow Jones (these are not factual updates, just additions with new quotes and details about the after-hours action since the original story came out--it seems like someone wants this story to dominate the news feeds)

Adam Pritchard, a law professor at the University of Michigan and former SEC attorney, said he would be "very skeptical" that a court would find the fatal crash material and Tesla's failure to disclose it as a breach of securities laws.

"The behavior of the stock price -- the fact that it bounced back very promptly -- most courts would say was fairly persuasive evidence that it was not material."

Last edited:
From the THIRD (!!!) update to the original story by Dow Jones (these are not factual updates, just additions with new quotes and details about the after-hours action since the original story came out--it seems like someone wants this story to dominate the news feeds)

What I want to see is a close look at the metastory: how someone trying to influence TSLA stock price "accidentally" released a story about an SEC investigation of Tesla. Ironically, the argument for the withheld info on the autopilot accident being material is weak, but there's forces that may be intentionally at work trying to damage Tesla and send the SP lower. Thus, the story involving DOW Jones and CNBC itself is perhaps far more appropriate for the SEC to investigate than the subject of that story (Tesla). I am sure those involved in the inaccurate story will have their paper trails and stories already put together, so there's little chance of successfully investigating the journalists. Too bad Curt has to witness what has become of business journalism after his departure.

Is it legal to publish a story about a company as fact when its only based on hearsay in essence? They don't even say whether the person "familiar with the matter" works for the SEC. It could be anybody. I just don't understand how they can publish this as fact, nor call it an "investigation" when in reality its probably a simple review of the situation at this point by the SEC, if even that much.

Edit: Instead of legal, I meant are the publications not putting themselves at risk of civil liability for defamation?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.