Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The general public most certainly has the right to restrict what companies and individuals do.

If we'd stopped Al Sloan and Kettering from pushing tetraethyl lead in gasoline, we would have stopped some of the worst horrors this world has ever known.

I certainly hope Elon Musk understands that he doesn't have the right to unilaterally go nuke Mars to "improve the climate" (something he suggested when asked about outrageous ideas which might be good ideas). I would expect him to get permission from the UN.

The government can stop people,corporations, and "entrepreneurs" from killing people,

The State can stop scientist from killing people in experiments.

Various forms of regulations the State has legitimate State interest.

The State does not have the right to stop freedom of movement or the seeking of knowledge.

Neither the US nor the UN has sovereignty over Mars.

And Musk was f'ing kidding about nuking Mars. Good f'ing grief.

I don't know @TrendTrader007 's situation, but the way I understand it, if your shares are owned on margin, in a margin account, then your brokerage has the right (as part of your margin account agreement), to lend your shares out. It is my understanding that in this particular case, you the share owner receive no compensation. The brokerage 'paid' for that privilege by extending you the ability to purchase shares for less than what they cost.

It gets a bit harder to do the math and understand things between the two extremes - one extreme being that you fully own every share (no outstanding margin loan), and you are fully margined (anything going down a penny will yield a margin call). Any shares that you fully own are not able to be lent out under your margin agreement.

Instead, any shares you fully own you can register with your brokerage's Fully Paid Lending Program (in which you grant your brokerage the right to borrow your Fully Paid shares, and lend them out to others). For completeness, it's important to understand that very few companies are desired by brokerages for their Fully Paid Lending Program. None of the other company shares I own have ever been lent out - only the TSLA shares I own. Think of it as the demand for those companies shares to short is sufficiently low, that the brokerage has an adequate supply of shares from other sources (brokerage owned, margined shares), to be able to loan shares anytime they are requested. I believe the interest rates paid to borrow shares in this case are more on the order of 1% (or less).

In my case, I own my shares in a margin account. However that account is fully funded, so I own all my shares completely, and have them registered with Fidelity's Fully Paid Lending Program. It's this latter bit of paperwork that I believe TrendTrader is referring to.
You're absolutely right. I filed my lending paperwork and today my shares were lent out at 14.5% interest which as I understand from one of your posts now dropped to 11% or so
In any case all my shares in Roth IRAs were lent out and 74% of my shares in my margin account were lent out
I'm excited because even at 10% interest rate I'll make a killing on a daily basis from interest alone
With my decent holdings in TSLA my daily interest is highly satisfactory and I plan to continue this lending program indefinitely that is as long as shorts desire this stock
Thank you for all your informative posts.

One quarter does not a trend make.
There are reports of large discounts to move cars, trying to get people from the 3 reservation to the S, pleading to cut back expenses this quarter to show those meanies on Wall Street.

Now, if that is the new normal and they keep cutting price to move cars at the end of the quarter, then at least there is a structural change and the execution risk is lower.

If not, it is just a one time blip and really means very little except to show that they are not above silly activities like this to try and convince Wall Street they are something they are not.

Edit by Moderator: It seems logical and not at all silly to me, to try to whip workers to produce more when a cap raise is expected around the corner--I mean quarter. To borrow a phrase from a leading presidential candidate, it's smart business. Please review carefully the serious discussion of this matter earlier in the thread.

Reply to moderator edit:

The point is whether the quarters result are indicative of a fundamental change or a one time event in order to do a cap raise.

An extreme example is that Tesla can easily be gaap profitable if it stops all investments. So being gaap profitable really means nothing if it is a one off based on non sustainable efforts

Smart Investors are smart enough to know when a company has done some window dressing vs hit some sustainable milestones.
That is why they push on things like margins and investments in the earnings call.

Tl:dr. Gaap profitability is less important than how you got gaap profitable. What is relevant about gaap is it indicates that following your plan, you have sustainable profitability.

If the new Tesla plan is deep discounts at the end of the quarter and cost cutting, that is ok. But that is different from what they did before so it is either a Change in strategy or window dressing to try and convince investors they are running the business witj gaap profitable goals.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Drax7
You're absolutely right. I filed my lending paperwork and today my shares were lent out at 14.5% interest which as I understand from one of your posts now dropped to 11% or so
In any case all my shares in Roth IRAs were lent out and 74% of my shares in my margin account were lent out
I'm excited because even at 10% interest rate I'll make a killing on a daily basis from interest alone
With my decent holdings in TSLA my daily interest is highly satisfactory and I plan to continue this lending program indefinitely that is as long as shorts desire this stock
Thank you for all your informative posts.

That's certainly my intention (continuing as long as the stock is desired). For my own investing, I tend to think first in terms of dividends, with the idea that at some point, I'll be able to live off the income from those dividends. TSLA has been the odd duck in my portfolio. With short interest, it's become the best payer of the lot :)

Reactions: TrendTrader007
<snip>
I simply can't put my money into a company based on the idea that there's a person that might be revered as the next Jobs in 5 to 10 years... rather I see this as the catalyst for unrealistic expectations.

Couple of thoughts: you seem to be very analytical and numbers oriented. If you play short term game, it doesn't matter, but if you're trying to play short for the long-term, you're at distinct disadvantage with this approach. This is not steady state company, it's startup, just a huge startup. Startups are this whirlwind of activities, growth, and pivot all at the same time, and they're unpredictable. You can't model them properly, and their value is based on where they'll be in 5 or 10 years. Which no one can predict with high level of accuracy.

I said once and still believe it, that Elon runs Tesla in the state of controlled chaos, where delivery of no particular goal is assured, but overall output is very high. Hence Tesla fails on short term predictions, but, have you looked at their growth trajectory last 3-4 years? It's stellar.

When deciding to invest in TSLA or not at first, I looked at the history of the company. I spent hundreds of hours reading up on them. If you check them carefully, you will see what they've gone through, to be where they are, is already amazing; they've climbed supposedly insurmountably obstacles. I've had benefit of working in a successful startup, and I know what it is when amazing team comes together - it's unstoppable. Well, I think that's Tesla team now, and that gives me confidence to keep my money there.

And if we boil down this to personality, I believe there are some people that are such forces of nature, they are simply unstoppable. You know, from history: Gingis-Khan, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk... ;)
These people are worth betting on. Now, I happen to think that Elon has already overtaken Jobs in most metrics, except financial, but that will not increase my credibility with you. But c'mon, Pixar, phone and tablet, vs Paypal, cars and rockets? I know what my 5-year old will vote ;)

I agree... and your candor is significant... I do not question Elon's intellect... but at the same time I do not see it as greater than ours. Too frequently he is labeled a "genius"... nobody should want such a label... which is an attempt to segregate him from the "masses" and is used as a reason to invest. He is human and is as fallible as we are... and we should question him as much as we question ourselves. I only state that I can't quantify a person (Elon) into a valuation for this reason. I haven't commented much on the SCTY endeavor... but honestly... this is the one case where I question Elon's credibility... there are too many lines that lead back to him and his family that are terribly difficult to justify in this acquisition. I do understand the path that's been laid out between Tesla Auto/Energy and SCTY... but there are completely rational questions around the combination of what I see as financially questionable companies at this time.

Welcome to the thread. I like how you've expressed yourself and your thoughts clearly, but it seems to be mis-directed. Your concerns about Musk (that he's fallable, not necessarily Steve Jobs, is seen as a genius when he might not be, seeks to lead the conquest of mars, etc) are misplaced. All those concerns are shared and recognized by some of us rational longs (or at least I think I am one of them anyway). Musk might've been labeled and characterized as the-next-Steve-Jobs/a-genius/leader-of-the-free-world/etc, but his actions demonstrate that he doesn't agree with it. He took the blame for the "hubris" in the model X. He believes he gets twice as much done as anyone else, because he's willing to work twice as hard as anyone else (read "The Engineer" by Erik Nordeus - precedes Ashley Vance's book), not because of his intellect. His upbringing was all about working hard (his mom still works). He's notorious for expecting the moon of his employees, and they either deliver or quit. He doesn't tolerate idiots (hung up on the phone interview with Bill Alpert). That is the source of Tesla capabilities, as well as its bane. He will either run out of superstar employees, or they'll go to the stars.

So your opinions about his foibles are shared with me, but I'm just willing to bet that he succeeds, not because he makes perfect decisions, or has the power of persuasion. Dedicated leadership like his attracts dedicated followers, and that type of mindset generally overcomes all bounds. Keep in mind that JB Straubel is still Tesla's CTO too and contributes just as much to Tesla's success.

Drivin made a remark about the pointlessness of Q3 profitability as it's not repeatable. That thought fails to understand that Wall Streets skepticism with Tesla is based on the myth that Tesla loses money on every car sold. Just like battery fires were proven to be baseless, a Q3 that's GAAP profitable will crush that myth, even if Q4 is a huge loss. It will be obvious by then that Tesla's spending is about growth and not propping up a potemkin village. It crushes a major pillar of the short thesis. Everything else is just doubt for the sake of doubt.

Welcome to the thread. I like how you've expressed yourself and your thoughts clearly, but it seems to be mis-directed. Your concerns about Musk (that he's fallable, not necessarily Steve Jobs, is seen as a genius when he might not be, seeks to lead the conquest of mars, etc) are misplaced. All those concerns are shared and recognized by some of us rational longs (or at least I think I am one of them anyway). Musk might've been labeled and characterized as the-next-Steve-Jobs/a-genius/leader-of-the-free-world/etc, but his actions demonstrate that he doesn't agree with it. He took the blame for the "hubris" in the model X. He believes he gets twice as much done as anyone else, because he's willing to work twice as hard as anyone else (read "The Engineer" by Erik Nordeus - precedes Ashley Vance's book), not because of his intellect. His upbringing was all about working hard (his mom still works). He's notorious for expecting the moon of his employees, and they either deliver or quit. He doesn't tolerate idiots (hung up on the phone interview with Bill Alpert). That is the source of Tesla capabilities, as well as its bane. He will either run out of superstar employees, or they'll go to the stars.

So your opinions about his foibles are shared with me, but I'm just willing to bet that he succeeds, not because he makes perfect decisions, or has the power of persuasion. Dedicated leadership like his attracts dedicated followers, and that type of mindset generally overcomes all bounds. Keep in mind that JB Straubel is still Tesla's CTO too and contributes just as much to Tesla's success.

Drivin made a remark about the pointlessness of Q3 profitability as it's not repeatable. That thought fails to understand that Wall Streets skepticism with Tesla is based on the myth that Tesla loses money on every car sold. Just like battery fires were proven to be baseless, a Q3 that's GAAP profitable will crush that myth, even if Q4 is a huge loss. It will be obvious by then that Tesla's spending is about growth and not propping up a potemkin village. It crushes a major pillar of the short thesis. Everything else is just doubt for the sake of doubt.
Profitability for TM is only about time and timing. It may never come on paper, since the mission of the company is to make EVs. MS and MX were made to subsidize the model 3 or other mass market EV which requires development, time and resources. The MS and MX by default have to make money in order to do this. The side benefit is that MS and MX are really good at what they do, and are comparable to high end luxury cars, no small feat for a 10 year old company competing with the likes of mercedes, bmw, and porsche. If the MS/MX serve as an impetus to move the mainstream manufacturers to EV then the mission is accomplished. just my 0.02.

OT is fine... I'm referring to the "discussion about interplanetary travel"... this sort of thing is typically the result of years of research and development conducted by the scientific communities on a global scale... vetted by such communities... for solid science and safety... not by an individual that happens to have a few billion at their disposal that believes in the commercialization of such activities.

It is not Elon's... or any *one's* place in the world to direct the human race. it is simply ego that drives one to believe they are our leader. whether it be Bezos, Bigelow, Benson or Musk... this kind of thinking is no different than Trump believing he should be our president due to his powerful wealth and business successes.
You are quickly earning the title of Cheif hater in this thread.

Also what you said is pure rubbish. Ironically it's pretty similar to how incumbent auto companies used to soak about Tesla. Assuming the old and extremely inefficient ways of doing things are the best, or even remotely good when better ways present themselves.

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
"And tossing in Trump is painfully hyperbolic."

that was an intentional jab to make the point... my opinion is that Trump is a cancer and a disgrace... and Elon is an intellectual... and comparing the two may be hard to swallow... but we seem to have gone from billionaires silently manipulating our governments and economies behind the scenes to them openly proclaiming themselves as rightful leaders due to their successes... Elon is in this category. I will receive many "dislikes" from this... but the best leaders in the world's history did not have billions of dollars behind them.

Take Autopilot for example... how many PhDs in computer science have expressed their concerns over premature introduction of such technologies?... how many of these opinions have made significant headlines?... now compare that to the monthly headlines we see from Elon's tweets.

The attention Elon drives towards these ideas is interesting... but it can also be very dangerous.
You mention the phds warning of auto driving, yet leave out the fact that they are all being irrational, since anything that decreases total accidents or driving deaths is net beneficial to three human race even if that technology is imperfect.

I don't think you leave these things out on purpose, I think you are just the type of person to habitually build an extremely strong position and make it part of your emotional being, but without very much research or depth. It's similar to how people who believe in conspiracy theories operate.

Also, your deep seated/possibly subconscious hatred for the wealthy comes out often in your posts and clearly clouds your judgement on things like this.

Lastly, you will receive plenty of dislikes because there is no button for "this post is objectively incorrect", which yours was.

Ev sales was 17% of total car sales in Norway in 2015. Do anyone think it will take US 20 years more to reach 12%?
Really?
Nah, is just another shitty fund making a linear projection because they simply aren't good at what they do, or are too conservative and would never want to seem crazy or end up wrong.

One caveat. If the other auto majors drag ass on getting their electrics ramped up it could take that long. Tesla (and the other electric upstarts) won't be able to reach 12% very quickly alone.

Tesla (TSLA) Checks Show Solid Model X Orders, Aggressive Model S Discounting - Pacific Crest

Pacific Crest analyst Brad Erickson expects Tesla's (NASDAQ: TSLA) Q3 Model X deliveries to be solid, and he thinks this may provide some reprieve for the bulls. However, he also thinks the declining quality for Model S demand poses ASP and margin risk and calls longer-term demand into question. Overall, he remains cautious.

Erickson explained, "Based on conversations with 20 Tesla sales centers around the United States, we expect deliveries to be relatively in line with our estimate of 22,000 deliveries, or 90% y/y growth. Based on our checks, we think Model X deliveries could actually be a bit above our forecast of 9,000 while we expect Model S deliveries to be more in line with to slightly below our estimate of 13,000."

The analyst continued, "While we think Tesla is tracking to the low end of its previously stated delivery target of 80,000-90,000 for 2016, it is using various discounting mechanisms to do so, which is cause for worry. First, we found continued traction of the $9,000-cheaper 60 kWh Model S versus the 75 kWh option, which is dilutive to gross margin by an estimated 1000 basis points. Second, we think as many as a third of current Model S orders are coming from Model 3 reservation holders opting for the newly created two-year (and less expensive) lease. Finally, we found Tesla has been employing a deeper discounting formula to drive sales of inventory models, with all offers expiring this Friday, the last day of the quarter."

Erickson concluded, "While we believe the SolarCity (SCTY) merger will ultimately get done, we think the car business, which should account for more than 90% of revenue if the SCTY deal goes through, has several hurdles yet to clear, namely how it will bridge demand all the way to Model 3 late next year. Bulls could be optimistic about strong deliveries (which we expect); however, Tesla's clear tactics to improve optics in the face of slowing demand would likely outweigh positive deliveries and as a result keep us cautious on TSLA."

Pacific Crest reiterated a Sector Weight rating on Tesla Motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.