Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Phase home best charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Recently ordered the MYRWD and waiting allocation of VIN. Exciting times ahead.

I am looking at charging options and wondering if some of you can help!

Car usage will most likely be limited to <50-75km per day maybe the occassional 100km weekend day.

Got a single phase home, i know few options are either:
1. UMC and plug it to normal power point but will be a slow charge
2. Get a 32a line installed by electrician and use UMC to get max 7kw output
3. Install 32a and get Tesla Wall charger

My question would be if I were to go with the 3rd option, are there benefits of single phase home using Tesla Wall Charger as I can't maximise the charge output of 11kw? Not planning to get a 2nd EV yet so no power sharing.

I feel like going with option 1 to save cost of install but also trying to see benefits of the other options!

For context I have solar as well so intend to use its output as much as possible.

Any ideas or best approach?

Hi All

Recently ordered the MYRWD and waiting allocation of VIN. Exciting times ahead.

I am looking at charging options and wondering if some of you can help!

Car usage will most likely be limited to <50-75km per day maybe the occassional 100km weekend day.

Got a single phase home, i know few options are either:
1. UMC and plug it to normal power point but will be a slow charge
2. Get a 32a line installed by electrician and use UMC to get max 7kw output
3. Install 32a and get Tesla Wall charger

My question would be if I were to go with the 3rd option, are there benefits of single phase home using Tesla Wall Charger as I can't maximise the charge output of 11kw? Not planning to get a 2nd EV yet so no power sharing.

I feel like going with option 1 to save cost of install but also trying to see benefits of the other options!

For context I have solar as well so intend to use its output as much as possible.

Any ideas or best approach?
Since charging options (and electrical codes) can be specific to the country the car is in, I would suggest posting your question in the Australia subforum, since you have "perth" under your name as your location.

It really isn't that hard guys. He talks about single phase as opposed to three phase, so obviously not North America.

Perth = Australia.

Look up "normal power point" for Australia and it is (I think) 10A at 240V, so probably 8A charging at 240V = 1.9 kW, which isn't great for charging.

This is the important bit!

It would have to be some humdinger solar system to put out more than a standard 16A or whatever you run over there as standard circuits.

You would have to find a solar expert to fill you in. A lot would depend on what else you can do with the power.

It might be possible to hook up Tessie's onboard charger direct to solar DC if done right. I doubt you could overdo the voltage. The tricky bit would be diverting the power once the battery got full enough.

As far as I can see the Tesla charger is just a fancy on off switch for sending A/C to the car down a suitable cable. The car does the charging A/CD/C converting.