Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typically, my car sleeps through the night (per TeslaFi). The last two times I got an update, I could see the car waking during the night (both times around 2:00 am) and had a corresponding download on my router. There would be a notice when I wake up that the update is ready for install.

My assumption is that Tesla just wakes the car when the update is ready (through cellular) and then the car will connect to Wi-Fi to download. I don't think the car wakes up periodically to check for updates.

This is the best explanation that I've heard a few times from owners. Definitely corresponds to my experience of the last couple of updates too.

But there's only like 3000-4000 cars on TeslaFi total. I understand its a sample, but how do we know for sure? Considering that a car malfunctioning on the road can be an issue of life and death, its very possible they are pushing it out in batches very slowly. People have compared this to a MacBook update, but when was the last time your MacBook propelled itself on wheels at 60-80MPH (conservative estimate!) while you were in it?

There are 3,099 cars reporting on TeslaFi - it is a sample but a very impressive sample. Assuming there are about 300,000 Teslas in circulation, a sample of 3,099 will give you results within 2.3% margin of error 99% of the time (increasing the population will not change the margin of error much). While I would love for Tesla to give 100% detail, the sample size from TeslaFi is large enough to provide a very credible analysis.

As far as car malfunctioning, I am assuming Tesla does a lot of pre-testing before going on public roads, plus the guinea pig testing (early access program). I am guessing they are not trying it out on 35% of Model S & X owners before deciding it is safe enough for Model 3 owners.

There are 3,099 cars reporting on TeslaFi - it is a sample but a very impressive sample. Assuming there are about 300,000 Teslas in circulation, a sample of 3,099 will give you results within 2.3% margin of error 99% of the time (increasing the population will not change the margin of error much). While I would love for Tesla to give 100% detail, the sample size from TeslaFi is large enough to provide a very credible analysis.

As far as car malfunctioning, I am assuming Tesla does a lot of pre-testing before going on public roads, plus the guinea pig testing (early access program). I am guessing they are not trying it out on 35% of Model S & X owners before deciding it is safe enough for Model 3 owners.
A few have reported getting 39.1 and its not clear if they're in the early access program or not (they are under NDA). Impatience will drive me crazy - I'll just wait.. for a few weeks before I become impatient again. :D

A few have reported getting 39.1 and its not clear if they're in the early access program or not (they are under NDA). Impatience will drive me crazy - I'll just wait.. for a few weeks before I become impatient again. :D

There were a few versions that popped up pre-39.6 that supposedly were the early access program testers (39; 39.1; 39.2.1; 39.3; 39.4; 39.5). A handful did pop up on TeslaFi - I am guessing the testers did not realize they were being tracked by TeslaFi; did not know they shouldn't be tracking; or just didn't care.

Reactions: MikeBur

I'm early access and they didn't give it to me to test.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
But there's only like 3000-4000 cars on TeslaFi total. I understand its a sample, but how do we know for sure? Considering that a car malfunctioning on the road can be an issue of life and death, its very possible they are pushing it out in batches very slowly. People have compared this to a MacBook update, but when was the last time your MacBook propelled itself on wheels at 60-80MPH (conservative estimate!) while you were in it?

Totally unrelated, but I was just watching Back to the Future II with my kids (first time for them, about the 30th time for me), and barely minutes after Biff remarks that he's just seen a flying Delorean, I see your username here. I had to do a double take to be sure I had really just seen that term on this thread. :p Now we need a sequel that uses a flying Model 3!

What did you report? I need to know the magic words!

Hah, well the first one was just me laughing like a fool when the screen translated "bug report" as "burger report" and then still accepted my laughing as a bug report and thanked me for my feedback.

The second one was reporting erratic behavior of the auto wipers in light rain at slow speeds in traffic. They would work at a reasonable, appropriate speed for a while, then go completely bonkers like it was a torrential downpour for 30 seconds at a time every few minutes until I gave up and set them manually to low.

The third one was reporting that my screen had gone black twice in the last week after getting in the car and touching the screen to interact with it, requiring a reboot.

You have to be succinct as it only listens for what felt like 5 seconds.

Lunar Lander, Missile Command, Centipede, and Asteroids

Interesting that Tesla chose those particular games. All 4 of them ran on the MOS 6502 processor, so I'm thinking they are sharing common emulation code that is capable of running all 4 of them.

Other possible Atari games that could run on this emulator:

Night Driver
Sprint
Sprint 2
Sprint 4
Asteroids Deluxe
Battlezone
Crystal Castles
Warlords

The following games also ran on the 6502, but may not be able to run on the Tesla emulator because these had extra sound CPUs:

Gravitar
Millipede
Major Havoc
Red Baron
Space Duel
Tempest

What I’d like to see is them adding a game controller to the app so you can control the game on the screen from your phone. I only played around with the games very briefly but found them very hard to play with the on screen controls. I think you can use the steering wheel buttons as well though, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Reactions: C141medic