Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something up with last update? Ride from hell.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Left Toronto to head to Ottawa.. I stop and get a 90% charge and then plug in 'Home' to the map and hit the hwy.

The map spends 5 minutes flipping out jumping back and forth between telling me ill go straight home with only 5% to spare or stopping at a charge with 12%. There are a few chargers i would pass but it was trying to send me straight home to a dead battery for some reaosn.

Finally it settles on 6% and straight home. Within in 10 minutes it says 5% left... then it says 4% 10 mins later. Then it tells me to keep it under 115kmh to make it home so I do better than that and drop it to 95kmh. 10 mins later it says ill get home with 3% but i need to keep it under 100kmh this time and this is only 40 minutes into the trip so obviously im not going to make it. I decided to reboot the computer... then plug 'Home' in again and it starts 'recalculating' over and over and over jumping between 14% straight home, then 5% straight home then to some charger.. It does this for an hour while I try to ignore the screen freaking out with warnings etc. Its pissing rain out and night time so I was trying real hard to concentrate on the road... eventually I need to take it out of cruise because its camera based and cant tell what its looking at and i got fed up with it slowing down for no good reason in front of drivers who werent expecting it.. and the msg's it was adding to the already busy screen that cruise speed was limited made it that more enjoyable.

I look on the map at the Kingston super charger.. been there a dozen times and it shows 8 stalls open... yet good ol Tesla puter seems to think me getting home on empty battery is a smarter choice.

The clown show goes on but I think you guys get the jist.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
I had a similar issue when driving home from OH to KY a couple weeks ago. Stopped off at a Supercharger and charged a little more than suggested to get to the next supercharger. When I left the supercharger it wanted me to go back to the same supercharger to charge more for some reason. I removed the stop and it then wanted me to drive straight home with less than 5% battery on arrival... Since I knew I had to stop in Lexington I just selected the supercharger in the NAV. Hopefully this is just a one off... I'm on 2022.40.41

OP - what is that you are complaining about? When you started it said only 5% left, that is assuming good weather conditions and a 65 mph speed. You dropped down to 71 miles after some distance, which means you were driving what at 80 mph when you started?

With only 5% buffer available to you (with good driving conditions), it is insane to drive at a higher speed than optimal. Next you are complaining about Autopilot struggling during heavy downpour that you even found it difficult driving manually.

Given the difficult conditions, any sane person would have reduced the speed quite a bit from the beginning, or would have taken the opportunity to charge on the way.