Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Spaceship Steering" on the new Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RoadsterInterior.jpeg

There appears to be a yoke instead of a steering wheel in the new Roadster. Is this what Elon meant when he said "spaceship steering" earlier this year in reference to the Model 3?

It's similar to a BMW steering wheel without the upper and lower semi-circles.

I prefer conventional full circle because my hands can feel the steering sliding back to straightening out position after a u-turn or sharp turn.

Without the full circle, I imagine my hands need to swap from one side of the rectangle to another.

1997_E38_Victor_Steering_Wheel_Wanted.jpg

I prefer conventional full circle because my hands can feel the steering sliding back to straightening out position after a u-turn or sharp turn.

Without the full circle, I imagine my hands need to swap from one side of the rectangle to another.

Unless the entire function of the "wheel" has changed. I'm imagining a yoke that has very limited rotation, perhaps 90-degrees max. Steering ratio and allowable steering angle would increase at very low speeds.

Last edited:

I agree and if you are guilty of an extra dinner or 2 the split wheel can hook into clothing and cause problems

Unless the entire function of the "wheel" has changed. I'm imagining a yoke that has very limited rotation, perhaps 90-degrees max. Steering ratio and allowable steering angle would increase at very low speeds.
In the test ride video posted by Now You Know (the full one, not the edited version) you can see at about 58:20 the driver is returning to center after just doing a tight U-turn and he swaps hands twice indicating a 360 degree rotation:

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
I bet that steering wheel is the final version. Elon hates to have prototype features not make it to production. The only reason the Model X side view cameras (in place of mirrors) didn’t make it to production was because of DOT regs. And as we saw, Elon is trying again with the new Roadster and the Semi to get rid of side mirrors.