Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard (Basic) AP is one of the worst Autopilot like system implementation on the market right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
i own 2022 M3 LR with basic AP.
I even "upgraded" it with S3XY commander which offers continuous AP

Nevertheless, all this week I was driving new VW Tiguan (Seat actually but badge makes no difference) which is as basic as possible (rental, white color, manual seat adjustment etc) and it had Driver Assist which I understand now is a default option.

It is same as basic AP - TACC + Lane assist, but it has few major advantages over Teslas AP:
  1. It is enabled without any annoying bing-bong sound - just indicator on dash, that's it!
  2. If you change lanes, it disables it and automatically re-enables it again. Silently. S3XY commander does it but ilwe still get this idiotic Bing bong
  3. It DOES NOT fine you with disabling AP till end of drive nor issues most idiotic AP bans. This is the most idiotic anti-consumer feature
  4. It never has any phantom breaking and allows to override speed, even on single lane roads
  5. Once you are stuck behind slower vehicle and start lane change/overtake - it automatically accelerates to set speed! It does not wait...
The same system is on more or less all cars in this segment: Audi, BMW, VW, etc. if car is at the same price/segment - it has this feature and it works better.

Why tesla is stuck with this BS from 2016!?

Do they think that people will buy EAP? It is still worse than other implementations...

Why tesla, as once leader, noe trailing behind in almost basic functions!?

Reactions: wanlord1
I find Basic AP works better than the competition as long as the following conditions are true:

• Driving on the freeway or backroads (not too many lights stop signs)
  • Driving in the same lane as much as possible
  • Cruising at or slightly above the speed limit

I find that AP does a better job at staying within the lane, taking sharp curves at higher speeds and keeping speeds stable at steep inclines compared to the competition.

You can enhance the AP experience for $150 with the TSL6 chip that tricks AP into thinking the scroll wheels are being moved constantly and avoids the annoying “hands on wheel” nag.

The competition has a problem with the systems suddenly turning off without warning which is extremely dangerous especially if the driver isn’t paying attention in that moment. Same goes for sharp curves, many of the competition systems struggle with taking curves at highway speeds without suddenly shutting off.

I find Basic AP works better than the competition as long as the following conditions are true:

• Driving on the freeway or backroads (not too many lights stop signs)
  • Driving in the same lane as much as possible
  • Cruising at or slightly above the speed limit

I find that AP does a better job at staying within the lane, taking sharp curves at higher speeds and keeping speeds stable at steep inclines compared to the competition.

You can enhance the AP experience for $150 with the TSL6 chip that tricks AP into thinking the scroll wheels are being moved constantly and avoids the annoying “hands on wheel” nag.

The competition has a problem with the systems suddenly turning off without warning which is extremely dangerous especially if the driver isn’t paying attention in that moment. Same goes for sharp curves, many of the competition systems struggle with taking curves at highway speeds without suddenly shutting off.
Well, since I am not in US, the wheel scroll does nothing and constant torque application is required

Still all points about silent on/off, resume, acceleration etc stands, sadly.

On the side note, I never ever had phantom braking on other systems