Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange tesla comments in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returning to my parked 85D, there's a woman, from her demeanour and clothes, not from the best part of town, peering through the side window. When I approach, she says " what a beautiful car... can it drive itself?

"Well, sort of", I said, "but how do you know about that?"

Well, she said, There isn't any gear stick in the middle to change gears!!"

The most common question I get is " Aren't you worried about pedestrians not hearing you coming" or "
do you sneak up on people". It's ironic. As a helicopter pilot I'm used to people being concerned about how much noise the machine makes, and now I'm meeting people concerned about how little noise this car makes, Go figure!

The most common question I get is " Aren't you worried about pedestrians not hearing you coming" or "
do you sneak up on people". It's ironic. As a helicopter pilot I'm used to people being concerned about how much noise the machine makes, and now I'm meeting people concerned about how little noise this car makes, Go figure!

It is a legitimate concern though. I remember on my test drive in Brisbane going from the Next Hotel, which is a laneway with pedestirans often on the road, and how annoyed I was that they just ambled along and didn't get out of my way, until I realised they couldnt hear the car at all.

It is a legitimate concern though. I remember on my test drive in Brisbane going from the Next Hotel, which is a laneway with pedestirans often on the road, and how annoyed I was that they just ambled along and didn't get out of my way, until I realised they couldnt hear the car at all.
Sneak up just behind them - about 2 inches should do it - then LEAN on the horn - hahahaha

Sneak up just behind them - about 2 inches should do it - then LEAN on the horn - hahahaha

Had some teenage boys on a skateboard in the middle of my street when I was coming home. I was able to get literally a metre away and they didn't even notice till I blew the horn haha. But seriously, it is almost dead silent in a parking lot. I had a lady who stepped out in front of a parked car into my way and then had to jump back because she didn't hear me coming.

People really should be more aware than just to think there is a car there only when they hear a sound.

Had some teenage boys on a skateboard in the middle of my street when I was coming home. I was able to get literally a metre away and they didn't even notice till I blew the horn haha. But seriously, it is almost dead silent in a parking lot. I had a lady who stepped out in front of a parked car into my way and then had to jump back because she didn't hear me coming.

People really should be more aware than just to think there is a car there only when they hear a sound.
Just turn your aircon on full blast, makes the car sound like a lawnmower, so that should get their attention. Not a useful tip for winter though.

You shoulda seen the rabbit I drove up behind. He was about 2 metres away when he finally turned and saw the car. Jumped STRAIGHT up in the air, shaking crazily, then took off at a dead sprint- looked like a cartoon!! Very funny, and testament to genuine hush.

I cant remember if Ive put in the comment I got from the RACV parking guys when I first received my Model S back in Jan 14. The head Parking guy grabbed me as I was driving out wanting to know what the car was.... Innocent enough I thought ... then I get the big complain about another owner who works and parks there. And how very nearly ran over his junior parking guy because he couldn't hear it coming! I placated him by extolling the virtues of Tesla Model S.....

As an aside Ive had 3 near misses in creeping traffic of people stepping out to what they perceive as a 'Sound Gap' between cars thinking nothings there- if only they opened their eyes a little........

Just turn your aircon on full blast, makes the car sound like a lawnmower, so that should get their attention. Not a useful tip for winter though.

The EV/pedestrian fatality rate absolutely plummets in Queensland in summer.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd hate to imagine the death/injury toll from all the Prius and Hybrid Camry taxis out there.

Want to hear something ironic regarding noiseless Teslas?

Today I had the Tesla parked in the blazing sun in the middle of a car park.

Before returning to the car, I checked my App to turn on AC, the inside temp was greater than 40C.

Now when the AC is on, it can sound like an engine is on under the hood. I noticed many people walk past and then gaze back over their shoulders to see what they were hearing. They then had a double take as they would try and work out what kind of car it was...

The irony is that in a car park when all the ICE cars are quiet, the Tesla can roar away... It has really turned things up on its head!

Want to hear something ironic regarding noiseless Teslas?

Today I had the Tesla parked in the blazing sun in the middle of a car park.

Before returning to the car, I checked my App to turn on AC, the inside temp was greater than 40C.

Now when the AC is on, it can sound like an engine is on under the hood. I noticed many people walk past and then gaze back over their shoulders to see what they were hearing. They then had a double take as they would try and work out what kind of car it was...

The irony is that in a car park when all the ICE cars are quiet, the Tesla can roar away... It has really turned things up on its head!
but isnt returning to a nice cool car on a 40 degree day just the best feature ever!