Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - I'm a new forum member, TSLA stockholder and hopefully future MS owner. I've really appreciated the thoughtful comments and insights provided by other members, especially fellow Floridians.

I'd like to throw my two cents into this discussion by agreeing with Larry's Sept 2012 comment, with the great map, regarding Wal-Mart stores and supercharger locations. It seems to me Tesla, Solar City, and Wal-Mart would all benefit by leveraging and expanding their existing relationship outside of California. Wal-Mart will directly benefit from solar panel installations, as will Solar City. Tesla purchases & supplies batteries, probably lowering their unit cost with the increased volume. Since Solar City (and thus Elon Musk) has an already strong relationship with Wal-Mart, the time from site selection to finished product would be minimized, e.g., no bureaucratic red tape, posturing, etc.

As noted, Wal-Marts are often located within short driving distances of major arteries, like I-75 and I-95. Many are open 24/7, all have public bathrooms and some either a McDonalds or Subway inside. They are always well-lit with good security day and night, and almost always will have plenty of available space for multiple SC installation. Unlike shopping malls, most people don't spend hours shopping at Wal-Marts, thus minimizing SC wait times. Although I realize some owners routinely avoid Wal-Marts, who among us couldn't find something to do in there for 30 minutes on a long-distance trip?

I'd like one of the SC locations to be the new Wal-Mart Supercenter located just east of I-75 on Hwy 70 in the Lakewood Ranch (east Bradenton) area. It's only 2 exits south of the Ellenton Outlets, and still south of the junction of I-75 and I-275 (to St. Pete). I personally think, whenever possible SC's should be located near major artery junctions, like I-75/I-10 and TP/I-75/SR44 mentioned earlier.

It's probably naive to think the Tesla SC team reads these posts and takes notes but, given the breadth, talent and knowledge of forum members, it probably would be wise to do so.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forums.

Larry

Nix on SC-5 on the east coast. The Palm Harbor shopping center is a relatively dead zone. Nothing to do there. I suggest instead the St. John's Town Center in Jacksonville with loads of shops and restaurants. It might also be a good location for a Tesla store or service center.

Mike Duke, Walmart CEO, quote on 4/15/13. His goal is for Walmart to use 100% renewable energy sources. Expansion of their partnership with Solar City would speed that process.

First, we’re going big on renewable energy. In fact, we’re going to go six times bigger. By the end of 2020, our commitment is to drive the production or procurement of 7 billion kilowatt hours of renewable energy globally. That’s equal to eliminating the need for two fossil fuel power plants.
Second, we’re accelerating energy efficiency. This is above and beyond the efficiency gains we’ve already made. By the end of 2020, we’ll reduce the energy per square foot that we need to power our buildings around the world by 20% versus 2010.
Combined, these new commitments are expected to cap our use of non-renewable electricity at 2010 levels. We forecast that Walmart’s renewable projects will increase from 3% of our global energy use in 2010 to 17% by 2020. Also by 2020, we project renewable energy will supply nearly 30% of the total energy used in our buildings.

I'm crossing my fingers that we'll find out from Elon somewhat soon what these expanded locations are and when they'll come online.

Yes, it would be helpful if he provided a high level plan for those states that have previously been announced to get Superchargers. However, it probably would be unwise to reveal the precise locations for Superchargers that haven't already made it through the permitting process. Such a high profile announcement by Elon might jeapordize the negotiation process with the location host.

Larry

Why do you suppose there's an SC to be located between the Daytona SC and the Jacksonville SC, a distance of only 90 miles? It seems like it would be better to have one nearer Ocala or Gainesville. Of course, as a Gator, I might be just a little biased... :biggrin:

While I'm ranting (see above), I'd like to point out the distance from the apparent location of the north Tampa SC to the apparent SC location at the I-75/I-10 intersection is 162 miles per Google Maps. That's doable but not optimal, especially for people driving to or from Orlando on the TP. Hopefully they will reconsider adding sme FL locations between now and 2015. The "St. Augustine" location makes no sense to me if it means a Wildwood/Ocala location is not in the budget.

There is nothing up the center of Florida (the Turnpike to I-75), which is the direct route to Orlando, and north to Gainesville (Univ of FL) and Atlanta. This is an important route for S FL residents and needs to be addressed. Otherwise we are severely limited. This is based on the recently posted supercharger map.

While I'm ranting (see above), I'd like to point out the distance from the apparent location of the north Tampa SC to the apparent SC location at the I-75/I-10 intersection is 162 miles per Google Maps. That's doable but not optimal, especially for people driving to or from Orlando on the TP. Hopefully they will reconsider adding sme FL locations between now and 2015. The "St. Augustine" location makes no sense to me if it means a Wildwood/Ocala location is not in the budget.

There is nothing up the center of Florida (the Turnpike to I-75), which is the direct route to Orlando, and north to Gainesville (Univ of FL) and Atlanta. This is an important route for S FL residents and needs to be addressed. Otherwise we are severely limited. This is based on the recently posted supercharger map.

At the risk of usurping Nigel moderator duties, :wink: we should take these discussions about suggested locations to the Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida thread and leave this thread devoted to the Port St. Lucie Supercharger.

The new "dots map" seems to confirm Nigel's point about a Port St. Lucie Supercharger. That location is just south of the south end of the Turnpike and it is only 124 miles from there to Orlando.

I agree that the new Tampa dot (I'm hoping Brandon Town Center Mall) is too far from the new dot near the intersection of I-75 and I-10. (There is a rest stop on I-10 just a few miles from the intersection.) It would make sense to place a Supercharger in the Gainsville area, perhaps The Oaks Mall to get the travel distance between Superchargers more manageable to Model Ss with 60 kWh batteries.

Placing a Supercharger in the Ocala region would do a better job of splitting the distance between the Tampa dot and the I-75/I-10 dot, but suitable host locations near I-75 are scarce. Perhaps Paddock Mall might work.

Larry

Last edited:

This summer, the Port St. Lucie SC will be open. This totally covers S. Florida to Orlando via the Turnpike. Where do you think one is needed to cover S FL to Orlando other than that? The only other place I can think of is on US 27, which *is* in the center of Florida, but nowhere near the Turnpike. If you're talking about the southern junction of the Turnpike to I-75, I don't see why that would be needed from Miami to Orlando.

I have no opinion on the Gainesville situation.

I'll hazard a guess @robaross was referring, as I was earlier, to leaving Orlando toward Atlanta, and vice-versa. As we're all no doubt aware, a ton of people use I-75 & the TP. In fact, I'd bet everyone west of Atlanta's longitude. Even if you're willing to take the detour to the (apparent) Live Oak SC, it's still a long way to/from Tampa or Orlando e.g., 180+ mi.

FWIW, there's a mall on E SR200 off I-75 just south of Ocala. It's less than 100 mi from Live Oak and 90 or so miles from the Brandon Town Center.

@sunkat - Thanks for the link. I'll post my SC suggestions there, if allowed.

PSL is mile marker 149 and Osceola Pkwy is 249. With added distance to/from WDW you are really pushing it even with range charge. There is virtually no place in Orlando to charge (at WDW) and a round trip is obviuosly not possible. There needs to be a charger along the TPK, possibly at Yeehaw (193).

I submitted 2 SC suggestions this evening on the Tesla site:

1) Paddock Mall (a Simon Mall) in Ocala FL
Placement: 94 mi north of Tampa Service Center; 90 mi south of I-75/I-10 intersection.
Stores include Macy's, Sears, Belk, JC Penney, Victoria's Secret and many more.
Nearby restaurants: Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday's, Chuck E. Cheese, and a bunch more

2) Tifton Mall in Tifton GA
Placement: 100 mi north of I-75/I-10 intersection; 94 mi south of I-75/I-475 intersection (Macon,GA).
Stores include Belk, JC Penney, TJ Maxx, Childrens Place, Bath & Body Works, & Dockers.
Nearby restaurants: Red Lobster, Pizza Hut, Subway, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Checkers, and several others

PSL is mile marker 149 and Osceola Pkwy is 249. With added distance to/from WDW you are really pushing it even with range charge. There is virtually no place in Orlando to charge (at WDW) and a round trip is obviuosly not possible. There needs to be a charger along the TPK, possibly at Yeehaw (193).

I still don't fully grasp where you're coming from. Are you talking about traveling from Miami to/from Orlando? You mention mile markers but no start or end points, so I'm confused.