Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bernalillo, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately the “permit” for this and several other key NM locations is simply a “locate request” which is just a request to get utilities info - telephone, electricity, water, etc. that might be underground and not a permit to build anything. It may not even be a commitment to the site but purely exploratory. It’s been over a year wait already and no building permit has shown up. I guess we’ll keep waiting……
Wondering why NM appears to be a laggard in supercharger build out?

Wondering why NM appears to be a laggard in supercharger build out?
Especially Bernalillo which has a Tesla service center!

I expect it has to do as much with population density as anything. They've built out most of the interstate areas, though I am surprised that Taos and Durango still have no superchargers. Lots of Teslas now in Santa Fe and similar areas. Tesla is building as a fast as they can and certainly have to prioritize. Still, it seems like just a few strategic supercharger stations in this state and southern CO would make an enormous difference.

It does seem that NM has some gaps! I was looking at PlugShare (as pathetic as it is in some ways) and they indeed show that there are only 2 DC fast chargers on the west side of the river. The northern one is a blink station at Perfection Honda and the other one is a ChargePoint station at Melloy Dodge. That those are at predominately ICE car dealers is in itself enough to make you not want to go there. PlugShare reports also show that both stations have been iced many times and/or are behind locked gates. Very lame. Pass.

However, the Supercharger at I-25 & 423 is only 5.6 miles from the Dodge dealer. Other people might not think this way, but I personally would go over to the Supercharger to avoid the ICE stealerships. :cool:

Where would be the best SC location on the west side, up north or down south?

Another crazy idea: how about bugging Tesla to open up to the public a few of the Superchargers at their Bernalillo Service Center? As of 1 yr ago (last pictures on this thread) they had 4 SCs and 6 L2 chargers. Surely they can spare a few or add a few if they're not ever going to do a station near Blake's Lotaburger. The Superior, Colorado, Service Center has 16 Supercharger stalls, all V3 250 kW. So it's not like Tesla has never put public SCs at a Service Center. BTW, some (if not all) of the pedestals got slightly burned in the Marshall Fire on Dec 30, 2021, while the Service Center building itself got so torched that they gutted it and rebuilt it. While that was happening they got the SCs back online quite fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesEarl15
are behind locked gates. Very lame. Pass.
Yes, that's why I never count dealership chargers since they are almost always behind locked gates.
Where would be the best SC location on the west side, up north or down south?
Probably at some of the shopping centers near Cottonwood Mall in NW Albuquerque/SE Rio Rancho. Southside location could go in Los Lunas or somewhere near the Sunport. Northside in Bernalillo or Santa Ana Pueblo. Westside off 98th Street.

I think Tesla is pivoting away from opening any more public Superchargers at Service Centers.

Yes, that's why I never count dealership chargers since they are almost always behind locked gates.
Almost would lead you to think they don't really care about EVs! :cool: On a positive note, Empire Lakewood Nissan, on the west side of Metro Denver, has 2 chargers out in their parking lot, very up-front and not behind a gate. I forgot what power they are because I've never used them. To their credit, Nissan has been making the Leaf since 2010, a real BEV they keep slowing improving.

Locations sound good. Bernalillo is not far north. I could see Tesla not putting public Superchargers at Service Centers if they are off the beaten path, but the Bernalillo location is near the intersection of 2 major highways with food options very close by.

Reactions: ArtiePenguin1