Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD V12 vs Mercedes Driver Assist Video by Whole Mars Catalog on YouTube.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Whole Mars Catalog, a Consumer Reports recent review rated Mercedes-Benz Driver Assistance with a higher score than Tesla Autopilot.

Probably not a fair comparison when using FSD V12.3.6, but quite funny to watch none the less..

YouTube.com Whole Mars Catalog Vid

1715286887965.png

1715286823197.png

A year or two ago I read a consumer reports article reviewing autopilot and the roundly panned it because they could get around the safety checks - they put a weight in the seat, hung a weight from the wheel, buckled the seatbelt reached over to press the break and put it in gear and started to drive. Somehow, they concluded that the fact they could get around all the safety mechanisms meant it was dangerous. CR claims to be unbiased but through the years I've seen that they are anything but.

In terms of Mercedes' driver assist vs Tesla AP/FSD it's very difficult to compare. MB's software is nominally better because it truly is level 3 but it is also extremely limited in uses. It would be better named 'traffic jam assist' since it is speed and lane limited.

According to Whole Mars Catalog, a Consumer Reports recent review rated Mercedes-Benz Driver Assistance with a higher score than Tesla Autopilot.

Probably not a fair comparison when using FSD V12.3.6, but quite funny to watch none the less..

View attachment 1045672

View attachment 1045671
The guy driving the MB car should have been arrested. That car is not allowed to use autopilot on that road. Omar should have been arrested too because he is accomplice. :)

The guy driving the MB car should have been arrested. That car is not allowed to use autopilot on that road. Omar should have been arrested too because he is accomplice. :)
That was Omar driving, his dad was in the passenger seat. I thought the Mercedes system would be geofenced by GPS. Really poor implementation if it allows you to activate on roads it can't even remotely handle. Tesla's standard Autopilot is not geofenced either, but its performance on surface streets is not this poor.

Reactions: GSP and rlsd
A year or two ago I read a consumer reports article reviewing autopilot and the roundly panned it because they could get around the safety checks - they put a weight in the seat, hung a weight from the wheel, buckled the seatbelt reached over to press the break and put it in gear and started to drive. Somehow, they concluded that the fact they could get around all the safety mechanisms meant it was dangerous. CR claims to be unbiased but through the years I've seen that they are anything but.
All that proves is that you can't make anything idiot proof because God keeps making better idiots.

I find these direct "driver assistance" comparisons very confusing. I am using FSD supervised and I worry I have a bias for it.

- I agree that Consumer Reports seems to put too much emphasis on protecting idiots from using "driver assistance". I know CR isn't asking for the following but the logical extreme would be requiring a breathalyzer interlock in all cars to make sure you aren't going to drive under the influence or a seat belt lockout where you have to use our seat belt or all cars need eye tracking to make sure the driver isn't texting and driving.

- this MB test seems unfair because he was forcing it to do something it says it can't do. Is this a knock against the MB system that it allowed him to drive in this area?

- it seems like Tesla FSD supervised can handle more miles of roads in the US than any other system admittedly but arguably without the proper safety checks of use

is there something the MB system can do that Tesla system can't? Maybe MB can actually be literally "hands free" when used properly although I don't think any of the systems are "attention free".

is there something the MB system can do that Tesla system can't? Maybe MB can actually be literally "hands free" when used properly although I don't think any of the systems are "attention free".
The MB system is Level 3 on mapped highways. This means you can legally not be paying attention - reading a book, watching a movie, doing email, etc. So yes, there is a HUGE difference between Tesla and MB.

I didn't watch the video (I'm not giving clicks to trolls) but just from the thumbnail above, the MB shouldn't work on surface streets. It is meant for highways. Also, I tried the free FSD trial a few times in my HW3 MXP and I had to intervene pretty often (not to mention it tried to go 45mph on the 25mph road to my house).

Reactions: Dracaris
The MB system is Level 3 on mapped highways. This means you can legally not be paying attention - reading a book, watching a movie, doing email, etc. So yes, there is a HUGE difference between Tesla and MB.

I didn't watch the video (I'm not giving clicks to trolls) but just from the thumbnail above, the MB shouldn't work on surface streets. It is meant for highways. Also, I tried the free FSD trial a few times in my HW3 MXP and I had to intervene pretty often (not to mention it tried to go 45mph on the 25mph road to my house).
I paid for FSD when I bought my car and have been using the FSD Beta and supervised during the entire time so I have watched it develop. There is a comfort level you get with it. The latest version, yes, I have cut it off for speeding a few times. And to avoid potholes. There was this one road I think it had STOP signs in the map data because it kept slowing down when it shouldn't have. Sometimes in complicated multi-car traffic situations I avoid it not because it did something really wrong but I didn't think I could react quickly enough *if* it did something wrong.

It looks like MB Level 3 is only on highways in Nevada and California at this time. Yes, that is a big difference in Levels and Tesla probably can work at Level 2? on 10x or 100x? miles of roads in the US.

I didn't watch the video (I'm not giving clicks to trolls) but just from the thumbnail above, the MB shouldn't work on surface streets. It is meant for highways.
@17:55 his dad even says "It's not like it's self driving, you're testing lane assist as if it's FSD". I believe the Mercedes L3 system is geo-fenced by GPS. Omar the Tesla shill was merely "testing" the lane keep + adaptive cruise control features, while allowing us to believe it's the L3 system on display.

View attachment 1045672

How did Mercedes get a higher rating than FSD in terms of capabilities. It’s just AP - not even stop at traffic / stop lights. Just TACC + lane keeping.

Reactions: GSP
That's what I thought, but I also noticed Omar providing steering input on the MB like one needs to do with FSD so I wasn't sure if it's Level 3 on the highway (in a single lane, under 35 MPH) and level 2 everywhere else or if it's just not geofenced. It's interesting because that's one of the criticisms people have had about AP on Teslas.

Because it was consumer reports. I remember a tire test when they tested all season tires against high-performance tires and they gave the winner to the all season tires cause they worked better in the rain.
They also criticized a sports car for having a stiff ride. It's really hard to interpret what they say because they clearly have biases even though they profess not to.

Last edited:
That was Omar driving, his dad was in the passenger seat. I thought the Mercedes system would be geofenced by GPS. Really poor implementation if it allows you to activate on roads it can't even remotely handle. Tesla's standard Autopilot is not geofenced either, but its performance on surface streets is not this poor.
Why NHTSA forced Tesla to recall FSD because it didn't give enough warning to users for misusing the feature but they didn't ask MB to recall Drive Pilot when it allowed users to use it outside of geofenced areas?

That doesn’t matter. If DP is geofenced, it should not operate outside of it. But just like old AP, it operates outside the geofence and runs stop signs etc.
Where do you see that L3 DrivePilot is working outside of the geofence? The whole mars video is not using L3 Drive Pilot. Hes not even in a car equipped with Drive Pilot. It just has L2 drivers assistance.

Reactions: Ben W and petercc9