Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random thinking aloud.... The model 3 has a combined MCU and AP3 computer (double board in a single module), could Tesla retro fit that and use existing MCU 1 as a dumb display terminal. A different software config, but no new hardware (just used in a different config).

So, how hard would it be for someone to just purchase a used MCU2 and IC2 and stick them into an MCU1 car?
Drop-in replacement? What kind of software modifications would be required?
it's pretty much a drop-in replacement. I plan to try it soon once I get a bit of a free time.

Now if you want the mileage/vin/car config to be transferred - that's something regular people cannot do.

it's pretty much a drop-in replacement. I plan to try it soon once I get a bit of a free time.

Now if you want the mileage/vin/car config to be transferred - that's something regular people cannot do.

So what controls supercharging then? Doesn't the MCU have to communicate with the Tesla servers to start it and bill to the right account?
And what happens if the MCU is configured for the wrong trim, will features like Ludicrous mode not work if the software config is wrong on the MCU? That would require rooting it I assume.

Will be very interesting to see your results when you try!

Doesn't the MCU have to communicate with the Tesla servers to start it and bill to the right account?
car controls supercharging currently. And then it might tell mothership if it thinks you need to be billed (I heard this might eventually change, but today the car itself 100% decided this matter)

And what happens if the MCU is configured for the wrong trim, will features like Ludicrous mode not work if the software config is wrong on the MCU? That would require rooting it I assume
don't need the root per se to make the config match, but with improper config the car likely won't run. Obviously this is not a problem for Tesla themselves when/if they'd do the retrofit.

From my perspective I wonder if I need to do something special for the premium audio since old and new premium audio systems are different. Obviously it would not preclude the car from running so PoC-wise it would not matter I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: BPeter
As I mentioned in another thread, I've changed my stance on the MCU2 upgrade. I've since been informed by a very good source that not only is an MCU1->MCU2 upgrade possible, but Tesla has built an internal upgrade kit to do it. But they won't release it or do any upgrades. They would just rather you buy a new car.

Or what @BigD0g just said.