Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just quietly increased their price by $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably so all of us who miss out on the tax credit will have a reason to say "well, I better not cancel now, I got locked in at the lower price" </cynicism>

Nah, it’s so they can “lower the price” by $1000 or so in January to “compensate for the loss of the federal tax credit” while simply putting prices back to where they were in October.

Nah, it’s so they can “lower the price” by $1000 or so in January to “compensate for the loss of the federal tax credit” while simply putting prices back to where they were in October.

They only raised prices on some models, and yes I think it is to facilitate an across-the-board $500 to $1,000 price cut in mid-January.

I don't think anyone wanting delivery in December hasn't already ordered.

This is probably true, but I wouldn't make a big deal of it. Based on the amounts, it helps smooth out the price change. Instead of an instantaneous $1875 hit in price, it was $500 more in November, $1000 more in (mid?) December, and if they drop the price by $1000 in January, it will be $1875 more in January (as compared to prior October pricing). So including tax affect, it's 3 smaller price increases instead of 1 larger increase.

If they do this, they should probably do it immediately on Jan 1 (or retroactive to Jan 1). If they drop the price after Jan 1 (without retroactive to Jan 1), anyone buying between Jan 1 and whenever the price drops will unfortunately be paying a higher price than they could have.