Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85+ takes on the Ike Gauntlet Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that he wasn't alone at the Supercharger. :)

As for the 2nd driver, he's stuck on the price and doesn't "get" that this isn't the everyman car. It's a step on the road to making the everyman car. Unfortunately, a lot of people have trouble grasping this.

Last edited:
Beautiful combo on that car. I think the "lease it" guy is right about a couple of things in regards to lack of rear cupholders, door openings being a little smallish, etc, but it's styled almost like the Audi A7 or M-B CLS which also have low roof lines and are much more snug in the rear seat too. Also, trying to put those 2 kids in the trunk of either of the Germans will get you in trouble with the po-po.

I gotta say. I don't believe the "lease it" guy really thinks that the model S has a lease it rating. I think that when he test drives MBs and Audi's he can distance himself enough from the experience, to where its "ok" that he can't afford it. But when he drives the model S he has such a visceral experience of "oh my god I have to have this car" that he has to dis it a little just so he can handle not owning one. Granted I may never be able to afford a Model S, but I still love the car and I have only ridden in one that had 10 miles of range (power limited), but I still think its nothing short of a miracle and give it the rating of "buy it!" I wish Tesla could ramp up faster so more people could own one, but this is new and the money is not unlimited, so slow and steady for now.

Yeah, I swear I heard him say "buy it" under his breath when he hit the accelerator. :smile: The other folk were talking over him so it was hard to tell. Its like he didn't want to say anything but he couldn't help himself. :redface:

Last edited:
As for the 2nd driver, he's stuck on the price and doesn't "get" that this isn't the everyman car. It's a step on the road to making the everyman car. Unfortunately, a lot of people have trouble grasping this.

Ideed. I can't remember, did people have the same "rich-man's toy" dismissal reaction to Porsche, Lexus, Infiniti, and the rest when they started out?

The other problem is that they reviewed a fully-loaded P85+ (after the price increases) to get that $126K price that bothered the "Lease It" guy so much. It is possible to get a very nice Model S for a lot less than $126K. There was also no mention of the $7500 Federal tax credit and $6000 Colorado tax credit, or the lower operating and maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle.

Granted, many people simply cannot afford a Model S, but the Model S is making the Gen III and the built out SuperCharger network possible.

Ideed. I can't remember, did people have the same "rich-man's toy" dismissal reaction to Porsche, Lexus, Infiniti, and the rest when they started out?
I think they only say this when government involvement is in play.

Nobody cares if a Ferrari is a rich man's toy, but it's a safe bet that changes if Uncle Sam invests in Ferrari.

- - - Updated - - -

The other problem is that they reviewed a fully-loaded P85+ ....
Agreed. I think it's just intellectually lazy on the part of some reviewers and many potential customers. If you give them a base line car to test, they complain that it's under-equipped (and maybe still about price). If you give them a fully loaded vehicle for a thorough test, they gush and then say it's overpriced. Clear signs of coming into the evaluation with a predisposition.

tesla grin.png

Loved the sincere Tesla grin! It happened again at 10:44 mark, even the "lease it" guy couldn't resist.

ATC@LWSK

I think they only say this when government involvement is in play.

What government involvment? The DOE loan has been paid off for months. Or are people concerned about government "taint" now?

Don't really understand that attitude at any rate. Sustainable transport is in the best interests of the country (and the world), therefore government should be investing in it, unlike some other things it's involved in.

Last edited:
What government involvment? The DOE loan has been paid off for months. Or are people concerned about government "taint" now.
The EV (tax) incentive is still in place.

Anyway, I would agree that the frustration is misplaced. There are far better targets for angst over government involvement than Tesla. GM, Fisker, etc. all come to mind far more quickly.

Speaking of which...
Did I misread the recent news or is the Fisker "government involvement" to be completed repayed with their recent purchase? It would be nice to change the correction of "You're thinking of Fisker not Tesla" to "You're thinking of Fisker not Tesla, but BTW they both have been resolved; we got our money back (with interest in the Tesla case)."