Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S - Parking assist failure fixed for free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you recieved this message it could have more reasons:
1. Failed parking sensor - tesla service menu shows you which sensor is problematic
2. Failed Parking Module
3. Broken wiring harness (my case)
20240108_164129.jpg

HOW TO FIND WHERE IS FAULT:
Check with this picture which sensor is in error:
1710497614147.png

In my case you can see it was S2 sensor, which is located in left corner of front bumper
2. remove front bumper
3. Find out if the sensor is faulty. How to? Interchange errorcoded sensor with mirrored oposite sensor. In my case S2 for S5 (S2 sensor was placed to position S5 and S5 was placed to position S2) and start the car, put in D and check again Service menu if now S5 is in error or still S2. If it is S5 then sensor is faulty - replace sensor - work done.
In my case car still displayed S2 sensor in error - sensor was ok - I wasted 70eur for new sensor.
4. Disassemble whole frunk and disconnect 2 connectors (Frist two from above) on right rail and remove wiring harness with bumper
1710497857232.jpeg

5. measure wiring harness defect. HOW TO?
Check colours on connector on faulty sensor and find these colors on black connector from right rail:
1710498627915.jpeg

6. Measure if each of these 3 wires between sensor connector and "right rail" connector have connection. If the signal from all 3 wires are ok, than problem could be in wire harness from "rail connector" to parking module which is located in trunk or parking module. - In my case I have found that red/green wire does not react. How to find where is wire broken?
7. Disassemble middle of bumper wiring harness and find red/green wire
1710498993604.png

8. With some needle puncture isolation of red/green wire and measure if there is signal from puncture to sensor connector - in my case - signal was ok. Then from rail connector and signal was not present - now I know the wire is broken on right side of bumper. With this methode you locate where approximately where the wire is broken. Lot of insulating tape has to be removed. After each puncture attempt islolate the puncture you have done.
9. If you have eliminated potencial fault in wire to maybe 30cm of length, catch the wire between hand nails and move your hand by cable - You should find little obstacle on the way and yes, you probably found broken wire. Pull gently the cable in this place to each side and wire will easily split:
1710499696473.jpeg

10. Solder cable, isolate everything like it was, assemble bumper, connect rail connectors, assemble frunk and repair is done. Start the car - fault erros will disappear automatically. Apx. 4hours of work.

Nice job, was it only that single wire that had the failure? I just wonder how did this failure happened, and you have now covered everything back up. At least you now know how to approach to it.
Thanks, yes only this one wire. It was under the clip which holds harness wiring attached to bumper. I have noticed, some are very tight attached to harness and the harness covering egdes are pushed to wires. Maybe this could be the reason..

Reactions: KalJoMoS
If you recieved this message it could have more reasons:
1. Failed parking sensor - tesla service menu shows you which sensor is problematic
2. Failed Parking Module
3. Broken wiring harness (my case)
View attachment 1028200

HOW TO FIND WHERE IS FAULT:
Check with this picture which sensor is in error:
View attachment 1028201

In my case you can see it was S2 sensor, which is located in left corner of front bumper
2. remove front bumper
3. Find out if the sensor is faulty. How to? Interchange errorcoded sensor with mirrored oposite sensor. In my case S2 for S5 (S2 sensor was placed to position S5 and S5 was placed to position S2) and start the car, put in D and check again Service menu if now S5 is in error or still S2. If it is S5 then sensor is faulty - replace sensor - work done.
In my case car still displayed S2 sensor in error - sensor was ok - I wasted 70eur for new sensor.
4. Disassemble whole frunk and disconnect 2 connectors (Frist two from above) on right rail and remove wiring harness with bumper
View attachment 1028202

5. measure wiring harness defect. HOW TO?
Check colours on connector on faulty sensor and find these colors on black connector from right rail:
View attachment 1028203

6. Measure if each of these 3 wires between sensor connector and "right rail" connector have connection. If the signal from all 3 wires are ok, than problem could be in wire harness from "rail connector" to parking module which is located in trunk or parking module. - In my case I have found that red/green wire does not react. How to find where is wire broken?
7. Disassemble middle of bumper wiring harness and find red/green wire
View attachment 1028209
8. With some needle puncture isolation of red/green wire and measure if there is signal from puncture to sensor connector - in my case - signal was ok. Then from rail connector and signal was not present - now I know the wire is broken on right side of bumper. With this methode you locate where approximately where the wire is broken. Lot of insulating tape has to be removed. After each puncture attempt islolate the puncture you have done.
9. If you have eliminated potencial fault in wire to maybe 30cm of length, catch the wire between hand nails and move your hand by cable - You should find little obstacle on the way and yes, you probably found broken wire. Pull gently the cable in this place to each side and wire will easily split:
View attachment 1028219

10. Solder cable, isolate everything like it was, assemble bumper, connect rail connectors, assemble frunk and repair is done. Start the car - fault erros will disappear automatically. Apx. 4hours of work.
Wow! Tuff job! Well done