Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently at that pivotal 18 month point.....but I am trying to decide if I should run through with my current car and upgrade to the Model 3 (if I place deposit in next 3-6 months). Otherwise, I need to make a decision.

As I don't think it was really mentioned yet, but if you order now, 'odds are' you won't see the car for 1+ years. So, you could put the money down for a Model 3, and then go and get into a new car today. When that car hits its 18 month mark, it could coincide nicely with your Model 3 reservation being available.

I am currently at that pivotal 18 month point.....but I am trying to decide if I should run through with my current car and upgrade to the Model 3 (if I place deposit in next 3-6 months). Otherwise, I need to make a decision.

Short list for making a leap soon: Mercedes C43 AMG, BMW M240xi, 997 C4

Model 3 is the only BEV on your short list. That makes it the only sensible choice ;)

Model 3 is the only BEV on your short list. That makes it the only sensible choice ;)

I also have the i3 hanging in the background of my potential options, but I am not sure how well I would adjust to the BEV transition. I suppose I am a typical driver with mental concerns over range anxiety, yet my daily requirements very rarely exceed offered range, but my heart and logic tell me a BEV is a great choice for the future

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
i3 is a good option but the range is pretty small and it's (subjectively) not the prettiest car - especially if you are considering some of the European cars you mentioned earlier. We have a reservation for a Model 3 and needed something to hold us over till then. Looked at the Leaf, I drove an i3 (but not my wife as BMW doesn't sell them here), and a couple other options. In the end we chose a small BMW X1 to hold us over. Not happy with the choice but nobody else makes a compelling EV right now. I suppose I would have bought the i3 if they sold/serviced them here.

In hindsight I should have picked up an early Model S used rather than the X1 - that would have been way better.

i3 is a good option but the range is pretty small and it's (subjectively) not the prettiest car - especially if you are considering some of the European cars you mentioned earlier. We have a reservation for a Model 3 and needed something to hold us over till then. Looked at the Leaf, I drove an i3 (but not my wife as BMW doesn't sell them here), and a couple other options. In the end we chose a small BMW X1 to hold us over. Not happy with the choice but nobody else makes a compelling EV right now. I suppose I would have bought the i3 if they sold/serviced them here.

In hindsight I should have picked up an early Model S used rather than the X1 - that would have been way better.

I agree about the concern over owning an i3 in Calgary, but in my opinion it is the best EV available for less than $65k. I am back in Calgary this weekend, so I will stop in to the Tesla store and have a conversation and leave deposit on Model 3.

I had a pleasant surprise today. While I can find myself driving throughout Calgary on a regular basis, I rarely if ever see a fellow Tesla driver. However, this afternoon at the corner of 37th and 17th Avenue a saw a model x pass me on 37 and then immediately after pulled in behind another model x turning left onto 17th. I guess times are changing, I was starting to feel alone with my model s.

Spot the EV can be a losing game to play in Calgary. I can go weeks without seeing one. We need a regular watering hole/coffee shop/charging spot to keep each other company and talk batteries.

Would be nice to talk about the 2170 with someone that knows. :)
We should talk to George about adding some HPWCs at 722 World Bier Haus which we tend to frequent when thirsty. He's an owner - of the entire shopping plaza in addition to the restaurant - and a recent Model X owner too.

Great news!!! Placed deposit on the Model 3 today!
Also, found out from condo developer that I am able to get a dedicated parking stall with 220V plug. Now I have a few concerns over that as I need to begin researching chargers which can be locked while I am away on business, at work etc. Just have some concerns over other owners in the building using it without consent.

Advice?

Also, found out from condo developer that I am able to get a dedicated parking stall with 220V plug. Now I have a few concerns over that as I need to begin researching chargers which can be locked while I am away on business, at work etc. Just have some concerns over other owners in the building using it without consent.

Advice?
Awesome to hear. Now comes the hard part. Waiting.

Sorry but I can't remember who showed me this and I can't find it being referenced on TMC anywhere. But I think it is good to show people in Calgary when they make the comment that we are using dirty coal.
Generation
ENMAX Trans From Coal V8 8.5x 11.jpg

Advice?
I'd like to talk to you more about this one day. I am an active member of a condo board and I also am in the process of developing a new condo building in Sunnyside. We have discussed adding EV charging and I've argued that they shouldn't be seperately metered as the draw is so little - or we add a common Sun Country type charger but not sure if you can buy ones that you can charge/meter per use? I'm interested in hearing a good solution for this. More people have EVs and Condos so this is becoming a challenge. Thank you.