Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla provided Cellular Data Plan - Free forever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're already getting paid for every single car and just one customer to bill, Tesla. Why would AT&T push to change that?

To lessen the impact on the network. Making people pay for it means some people will choose not to. Is AT&T ready for hundreds of thousands of new devices on their LTE network in the next few years? Maybe they don't care. I dunno.

To lessen the impact on the network. Making people pay for it means some people will choose not to. Is AT&T ready for hundreds of thousands of new devices on their LTE network in the next few years? Maybe they don't care. I dunno.
Considering ATT has over 100M subscribers (I've seen numbers between 110M-130M), I think an extra few hundred thousand is a drop in the bucket. It's not even a 1% increase in their base.

I've owned the car since about June 2015 also. I'm pretty sure I've only had 1 maps update in about 18 months. It must be regional.

Funny, we indeed joined almost at the same time.

Same here but I never got screen notification of the last one from December/January. The only way I knew was from changes to the graphics on the IC that were pointed out on this forum. I had to call my SvC to have them confirm I had the latest at that time. My point is that it's possible we are getting map updates without us realizing it.

As these are notifications, where the only option is to click on "Ok", could be that it happened at the SC or when your better half was driving the car. Just guessing here.

Considering ATT has over 100M subscribers (I've seen numbers between 110M-130M), I think an extra few hundred thousand is a drop in the bucket. It's not even a 1% increase in their base.

That makes sense, but that got me curious: Has anyone tracked how much data the average Tesla uses? Obviously streaming will have the biggest effect, but I'm sure I blow through quite a bit just keeping traffic on constantly.

Funny, we indeed joined almost at the same time.

As these are notifications, where the only option is to click on "Ok", could be that it happened at the SC or when your better half was driving the car. Just guessing here.
It happened about two months after a service and the Service Manager told me this happens sometimes. :shrug:

As much as Tesla needs AP data I think customers will care just as much about the connectivity of the car, which means most people are going to pay for it unless it's incredibly expensive. And as other pointed out I think it wouldn't be too complicated for Tesla to just disable certain feature if the customer doesn't pay, but still allow for some background data. In Germany they are already disabling some of these features for the base car.

This ads up to a lot of money. Just charging $10 per month would be 6 million Dollars on 50k cars. With Tesla's current fleet by the end of 2020 we would be talking about more than 20million and that's assuming they just charge $10.

As an earlier pre-Autopilot owner, I'm bracing to get hammered for having bought too soon.

I can't imagine my car provides them with enough telemetry to be useful.

I'd like to think earlier owners won't be shut out in the cold, but Tesla might consider us prime targets for upgrade sales and choose to "pull that lever" despite our intention to keep our car until it is no longer useful.

But maps are normally only updated over WiFi. So I don't think map updates have anything to do with a Tesla supplied data plan.

Maps are constantly loaded, when driving through areas with no cell reception your maps will be blank eventually. Had that happen to me my modem locked up. Rebooting the screen fixed that though.

Maps are constantly loaded, when driving through areas with no cell reception your maps will be blank eventually. Had that happen to me my modem locked up. Rebooting the screen fixed that though.

The map updates that Tesla provides are used for the navigation on the IC and are offline. The maps you are talking about are the unrelated live Google maps. I would assume there is no end date for them updating unless Google and Tesla part ways.

This ads up to a lot of money. Just charging $10 per month would be 6 million Dollars on 50k cars. With Tesla's current fleet by the end of 2020 we would be talking about more than 20million and that's assuming they just charge $10.
Yep, the Onstar business model. Seems likely they'll charge for consumer service (streaming/browser) in the future, but the fleet stuff would still just run in background. Who knows.