Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it's seeing another indicator or flashing light through the back window of the car. That is the only time I've seen it get that wrong so far.
Maybe, but I was at an intersection today and I was behind the only other car there and the visualisation for indicator was reversed. Maybe it’s a southern hemisphere thing and we are all upside down?

It’s likely because the AI is trained on US data where their signal lights on their cars are red/orange instead of yellow here.
No, this is likely to do with LED based brake lights (and indicators). The camera shutter speed and the LED cycle time have a bad habit of interacting. Check out the following video:

The LED based lane open indicators and speed limit signs in the forward camera appear to be flashing. They are not flashing to the human eye because we can't detect anything that flashes quicker than about 1/60th of a second. Modern cars have LED based brake lights and indicators. A brake light might well be misinterpreted as an indicator under these circumstances.

Here's a really good example of an Alfa Romeo in the adjoining lane to the left (front camera) whose brake lights are flashing like mad to the camera and could easily be misinterpreted as indicators. There's another example (probably a Toyota Landcruiser?) towards the very end of the video showing the same effect:

This clearly shows that Tesla are yet to solve that *long* standing problem of persistence of LED lights!

Reactions: dronus
No, this is likely to do with LED based brake lights (and indicators). The camera shutter speed and the LED cycle time have a bad habit of interacting.
There's a very nice recent attack using this: New Attack Against Self-Driving Car AI - Schneier on Security

It's called GhostStripe1 and GhostStripe2 if you're looking for other articles on it. Paper: https://tanrui.github.io/pub/GhostStripe-MobiSys.pdf

I'd say this kind of thing will always be a kind of arms race. Purely technically, it's an interesting area.

Perhaps early testers like AIDRIVR won’t get the update if the next FSD Version v12.4? is still lagging behind, built on older than 2024.14 version of the base software. I.e these beta testers should be able to upgrade when that is ready
So the software version 2024.9.5 with the latest FSD v12.4 included is again out of sync and behind the base version 2024.14.* of the software. I hope V12.5 which is predicted to have Actualy Smart Summon and Banish will catch up with 2024.14 so that we EAP/FSD users in the rest of the world can get it 😐

Just back from a 1200km drive. A few more observations:

- Model S didn't only not get the speed camera warnings, it also didn't get the average speed camera function. That's not a sensor or HW platform dependent feature. WTF?
- It still thinks trucks with two red lights up high on the trailer at night are approaching stoplights. While on the motorway.
- It still randomly slows down for trucks when passing them at speed on the motorway
- After passing a truck and pulling back into the left lane I had a massive phantom brake trigger (nighttime), essentially brake checking a b-double. Don't blame him for thinking I'm an asshole - EAP definitely qualifies as such now and I passed it on. This has never happened before.
- I had two major autosteer glitches today where the car was going to swap into the oncoming lane. First time this happened since 2020.
- While navigating towards Gundagai for a charge, that charger went into maintenance mode today. That freaked out the nav and it tried to navigate me to Holbrook (opposite way of where I was going back to Sydney), disregarding the fact that there's also an NRMA charger at Gundagai. The navigation didn't stop recalculating either - as soon as it had me routed through Holbrook, it tried Gundagai again, then Holbrook again... until adult supervision stopped the nonsense and I manually navigated to Gundagai. Which worked fine by the time I was there.

So all we early adopters got with the big 2024.14.x updates are more visualisations and a downgrade from 5 strikes to 3 strikes til EAP lockout if a defeat device is detected.