Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um... did you perchance miss the part about how Iceland - where the vast majority live in a single metro - in 2017 bought 40% as many EVs as the entire country of Italy?

How much overhead do you think it costs to serve 40% of Italy? Versus a single metro area?

Tesla isn't going after the "EV" market.

Tesla is going after the entire "enchilada."

Italy buys a bit more cars than Iceland.

Wonder if the PG&E bankwuptcy possibility will affect Tesla in a meaningful way?
Depends. (and it's complex) The EPC contract TE has for Moss Landing is likely an "executory " contract.

"Under the Bankruptcy Code, debtors and bankruptcy trustees are authorized to assume or reject executory contracts (and unexpired leases) in bankruptcy. This reflects the underlying bankruptcy policy that debtors should have the ability to abandon burdensome contracts and retain beneficial contracts....

In a Chapter 11 case, there is no set time period to make the decision to reject or assume a general executory contract. Instead, absent an earlier rejection of an executory contract, which is burdensome and disfavorable to the bankruptcy estate, decisions on whether to assume or reject typically do not occur until a Chapter 11 plan is confirmed or until the division, assets or entity, which the contract relates to, is sold or liquidated generally."

Executory Contracts in Bankruptcy
Since TE very recently was awarded the contract, it's probably not essential to the security of PG&E's electricity supply but primarily related to a CPUC mandate, so the decision will be based on whether the Trustee thinks PG&E got a good deal from TE. IF PG&E files, the Trustee could try to bargain for more favorable pricing as part of the re-organization negotiations. TE could try preemptively terminating (probably unsuccessfully) the contract for anticipatory breach before PG&E files if it believes there is a credible payment risk. Depending on the terms of the contract, there may also be preference clawbacks.

The primary beneficiary of a PG&E filing will be the Trustee's firm.

So according to GS estimates, Tesla will stop growing after 2019 :Do_O:Do_O:D

PS: please have a look on the FY2019E 0.03 USD loss per share that will keep alive the cash burning theory. Words fail me...

GS thinks curtailment of Capital Expenditures and R&D in 2018 will flatten growth until the new products (Y, Roadster, Semi, Pick-up) come to market after 2019--differences of opinion are why the shares are volatile and trading can be profitable (plus GS is a hedge counter-party on all the convertible notes.)

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
So why drop S & X prices by $2k? Why not even raise S & X prices? Scarcer = More Desirable (plus it might indirectly stimulate M3 demand by making those version appear to be a better value for "stretch" buyers.)
Tesla is NOT about making BEVs hard to get. Tesla's stated goal is to force the transition to BEVs. They do not want less Model S & X on the road they want more. As manufacturing becomes cheaper I believe they will keep lowering prices. My Feb 2013 base S60 with just air suspension leather and blue paint was 72K. Very bare bones and rear wheel drive. Did not even have navigation. I can get a significantly improved 75D for $76K now. I would say Tesla is passing all savings onto the customers that they can.

I would not be surprised if we never see the SR Model 3. Before everyone gets excited over the disagrees... I say that because I think Tesla is trying to keep refining the line until the MR price hits really close to $35K and the MR will become the SR or the SR might come with more features or cheaper.

Earlier today there were some comments on this thread speculating that Tesla will sell the cars it produces in China cheaper to the Chinese market due to a lower cost of production.

While I’m not sure they would price them lower than US pricing, it should also be remembered that the new china factory introduces a bunch of new fixed costs and new capex depreciation. So while technically the unit cost might be cheaper than a car rolling out of Fremont - the associated costs of running an entire 2nd production plant will eat up Some of those savings for some time possibly.

MR might be short lived once SR arrives? Or perhaps it's just not worth shipping ....

Considering the very large number of potential
owners in Europe that do not have charging available at home (living in condos, on street parking only in inner cities, lack of public charging infrastructure, non-supportive governments, etc) there is actually a very good reason to keep MR.....

Earlier today there were some comments on this thread speculating that Tesla will sell the cars it produces in China cheaper to the Chinese market due to a lower cost of production.

While I’m not sure they would price them lower than US pricing, it should also be remembered that the new china factory introduces a bunch of new fixed costs and new capex depreciation. So while technically the unit cost might be cheaper than a car rolling out of Fremont - the associated costs of running an entire 2nd production plant will eat up Some of those savings for some time possibly.

GF3 will definitely lower the price of Tesla cars sold in China, but not necessarily cheaper than a the US to be competitive. In China, the current base price of an imported dual motor LR 3 is RMB 499,000 ($72,640), while in the US it's just $51,000 (RMB 350,339). The locally produced standard range model will be very competitive at RMB 250,000 ($36,393) which is even lower than some local brand electric "golf carts".

As opposed to believing something with no evidence.

Whether or not there is evidence, it is a widely held belief, as witnessed by popular expressions such as:

What goes around comes around,
Paypack's a bitch - or for the internets,
Karma is a bitch

Personally, I take note of other people's behavior, and I make sure to be nice to those who are nice. For those who are not nice, something else.

Tesla is NOT about making BEVs hard to get. Tesla's stated goal is to force the transition to BEVs. They do not want less Model S & X on the road they want more. As manufacturing becomes cheaper I believe they will keep lowering prices.

Yes, Elon's stated goal is to keep margins at around 30%. This funds further R&D and expansion, while keeping the price low enough to spur demand. In the long run this maximizes the number of EVs sold. (It also maximizes corporate value, but that's just a happy side effect to investors/employees.)

The S+X recently went beyond 30% gross margin, which is why I think the $2k drop was applied. Lower base price also puts the competition under pressure to manufacture EVs in volume.

My Feb 2013 base S60 with just air suspension leather and blue paint was 72K. Very bare bones and rear wheel drive. Did not even have navigation. I can get a significantly improved 75D for $76K now. I would say Tesla is passing all savings onto the customers that they can.

Exactly: they keep GM at 30% and pass efficiency improvements to customers via two channels: 1) increasing the value of the car through incremental upgrades and improvements, 2) price reductions.

Note that the Model 3 ramp-up improved S/X margins as well:
  • better volume discounts from parts and materials suppliers,
  • better workforce utilization,
  • better equipment utilization,
  • better building utilization.
Tesla is starting to gain economies of scale across all product lines.

I would not be surprised if we never see the SR Model 3. Before everyone gets excited over the disagrees... I say that because I think Tesla is trying to keep refining the line until the MR price hits really close to $35K and the MR will become the SR or the SR might come with more features or cheaper.

I disagree here: the SR battery pack is lighter, cheaper and more efficient. The new Grohmann line that assembles SR packs is already installed and is working, a second one is under construction.

IMHO the SR model will be released either late March, or late June - primarily depending on European and Chinese Model 3 sales.

The MR was only released to allow people who were waiting for the SR a chance to buy something close to it with the full $7,500 tax credit.

My prediction: RWD will be introduced this year, with PUP and RWD initially I believe, with a starting price of $39k.

Every BEV sold is an ICE less on the street and therefore good for all of us. (Assuming you did not exchange a BEV for another)

Looking forward to your report about the car.

To give you a bit of a backstory. I've been driving a Renault ZOE for 4 years, on a 4 year lease (PCP). That is now coming to an end and I'm driving a 2018 LEAF until my I-PACE is delivered in April. Driving the Renault ZOE opened my eyes to how much better EVs are compared to ICE and it has made it completely impossible to go back to driving an ICE instead. Not specifically for environmental reasons, although they are also important to me, but just for the driving experience. It was actually this that got me interested in Tesla and investing in TSLA.

The more I learnt about Tesla and the Model 3, the more I wanted it to be my next car. I also had the opportunity to drive a Model S recently, in California. The performance and overall driving thrill was yet another step up from my ZOE. So this reaffirmed my thoughts. I've also recently posted a bit about my experiences charging my EVs here in the UK on another forum and the clear superiority of the Supercharger network to the other options. Including those I'll need to use with the I-PACE. Just to quote from that:

"Yeah, the current UK CCS network is dire. At least in the North of England where I frequent. I rapid-charged my current car (2018 LEAF) using two CHAdeMO points over the Christmas period. At the first point there was one CHAdeMO and one CCS. The only for many miles. Poor guy trying to charge his i3 with the CCS was SOL. He was on the phone with Podpoint trying to get it resolved. He had to give up as he was late for a meeting.

The second charge was at the well-known Scotch Corner services. There are 2 CHAdeMOs there. I managed to charge mine but the LEAF arriving after me couldn't. Apparently the other post was having issues. And the CCS on there (the one CCS point at this location) was temporarily out of action too. There was another LEAF waiting to charge as well.

Just down the road there is an 8-stall Supercharger. It only had a single Tesla charging there when I checked but all stalls were apparently in service. To me it's like comparing Economy Class with a First Class experience in terms of stress and convenience. Anybody thinking the Supercharger network isn't far more convenient and developed in the UK simply hasn't lived with the alternative. I don't doubt the CCS network will improve in time, although so will the Supercharger network. Having used a Supercharger at Petaluma in the US I also liked the way I just parked up, my charge port opened automatically and I plugged in. No messing around with apps or RFID cards and keyfobs.

And no anti-CCS or Tesla fanboi bias from me here. Just calling it as I see it, as a current LEAF owner, prior ZOE owner and soon to be I-PACE driver."

So I very much wanted the Model 3 to be my next car, price and finances allowing. I've even got a little red model of it which I bought from eBay that was given to one of the original line-waiters in the US. Everything about the car appeals to me, but the fact is it isn't available in the UK yet and my hand has been forced by the end of my ZOE lease. I suppose I could've kept hold of the LEAF for longer and waited, but the I-PACE I'm getting was too good a deal for me to pass up on. 18 month lease for £400 per month, no deposit. Needless to say I jumped at that opportunity. And after that 18 months, depending on how things pan out, maybe it will be a Model 3 in my driveway! :)

Last edited:
Yes, Elon's stated goal is to keep margins at around 30%. This funds further R&D and expansion, while keeping the price low enough to spur demand. In the long run this maximizes the number of EVs sold. (It also maximizes corporate value, but that's just a happy side effect to investors/employees.)

The S+X recently went beyond 30% gross margin, which is why I think the $2k drop was applied. Lower base price also puts the competition under pressure to manufacture EVs in volume.

Exactly: they keep GM at 30% and pass efficiency improvements to customers via two channels: 1) increasing the value of the car through incremental upgrades and improvements, 2) price reductions.

Note that the Model 3 ramp-up improved S/X margins as well:
  • better volume discounts from parts and materials suppliers,
  • better workforce utilization,
  • better equipment utilization,
  • better building utilization.
Tesla is starting to gain economies of scale across all product lines.

I disagree here: the SR battery pack is lighter, cheaper and more efficient. The new Grohmann line that assembles SR packs is already installed and is working, a second one is under construction.

IMHO the SR model will be released either late March, or late June - primarily depending on European and Chinese Model 3 sales.

The MR was only released to allow people who were waiting for the SR a chance to buy something close to it with the full $7,500 tax credit.

My prediction: RWD will be introduced this year, with PUP and RWD initially I believe, with a starting price of $39k.
Why not include AWD version of the SR from the beginning?

Reactions: SpaceCash
To give you a bit of a backstory. I've been driving a Renault ZOE for 4 years, on a 4 year lease (PCP). That is now coming to an end and I'm driving a 2018 LEAF until my I-PACE is delivered in April. Driving the Renault ZOE opened my eyes to how much better EVs are compared to ICE and it has made it completely impossible to go back to driving an ICE instead. Not specifically for environmental reasons, although they are also important to me, but just for the driving experience. It was actually this that got me interested in Tesla and investing in TSLA.

The more I learnt about Tesla and the Model 3, the more I wanted it to be my next car. I also had the opportunity to drive a Model S recently, in California. The performance and overall driving thrill was yet another step up from my ZOE. So this reaffirmed my thoughts. I've also recently posted a bit about my experiences charging my EVs here in the UK on another forum and the clear superiority of the Supercharger network to the other options. Including those I'll need to use with the I-PACE. Just to quote from that:

"Yeah, the current UK CCS network is dire. At least in the North of England where I frequent. I rapid-charged my current car (2018 LEAF) using two CHAdeMO points over the Christmas period. At the first point there was one CHAdeMO and one CCS. The only for many miles. Poor guy trying to charge his i3 with the CCS was SOL. He was on the phone with Podpoint trying to get it resolved. He had to give up as he was late for a meeting.

The second charge was at the well-known Scotch Corner services. There are 2 CHAdeMOs there. I managed to charge mine but the LEAF arriving after me couldn't. Apparently the other post was having issues. And the CCS on there (the one CCS point at this location) was temporarily out of action too. There was another LEAF waiting to charge as well.

Just down the road there is an 8-stall Supercharger. It only had a single Tesla charging there when I checked but all stalls were apparently in service. To me it's like comparing Economy Class with a First Class experience in terms of stress and convenience. Anybody thinking the Supercharger network isn't far more convenient and developed in the UK simply hasn't lived with the alternative. I don't doubt the CCS network will improve in time, although so will the Supercharger network. Having used a Supercharger at Petaluma in the US I also liked the way I just parked up, my charge port opened automatically and I plugged in. No messing around with apps or RFID cards and keyfobs.

And no anti-CCS or Tesla fanboi bias from me here. Just calling it as I see it, as a current LEAF owner, prior ZOE owner and soon to be I-PACE driver."

So I very much wanted the Model 3 to be my next car, price and finances allowing. I've even got a little red model of it which I bought from eBay that was given to one of the original line-waiters in the US. Everything about the car appeals to me, but the fact is it isn't available in the UK yet and my hand has been forced by the end of my ZOE lease. I suppose I could've kept hold of the LEAF for longer and waited, but the I-PACE I'm getting was too good a deal for me to pass up on. 18 month lease for £400 per month, no deposit. Needless to say I jumped at that opportunity. And after that 18 months, depending on how things pan out, maybe it will be a Model 3 in my driveway! :)

Having at least sat in an iPace I agree it's a nice little car, but I'm still curious why you'd choose it over, say, an entry-level Model S - surely the prices would be roughly equivalent?

As you rightly say, charing an EV in the wild, is a hit-and-miss affair, I couldn't possibly imagine doing road trips we do, upwards 1000km per day, in any other EV than a Tesla. The stress and risk would be enormous.

Having at least sat in an iPace I agree it's a nice little car, but I'm still curious why you'd choose it over, say, an entry-level Model S - surely the prices would be roughly equivalent?

As you rightly say, charing an EV in the wild, is a hit-and-miss affair, I couldn't possibly imagine doing road trips we do, upwards 1000km per day, in any other EV than a Tesla. The stress and risk would be enormous.

I would never choose an I-PACE over an entry level Model S myself, if buying with cash. But leasing a Model S for £400 a month isn't an option, sadly. :(

I would never choose an I-PACE over an entry level Model S myself, if buying with cash. But leasing a Model S for £400 a month isn't an option, sadly. :(

Surely Jaguar is losing money on such a cheap leasing deal. Usually such deals can only be found in ZEV-states in the US, where car manufacturers will happily sell or lease an EV with a loss, as that one sale prevents them from having to pay fines on the sale of several ICE's (if I understood correctly). For the same reason my brother in SF got a $138 per month lease deal (for three years) on a Bolt :eek:

Do car manufacturers in the UK also have such a need for 'compliance cars'? Or is Jaguar already having a hard time moving the I-Paces it produces?

Reactions: Lucky_Man