Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not a Tesla story. It's an idiot driver story. The fact that it's a Tesla is completely incidental to the event. Teslarati is doing no one any favors by carrying it. WTF.
I agree and was kidding. A Tesla story that would make national news is :
"Tesla driver killed at gas station trying to fill car with gas. Tesla did NOT put a warning label saying "No gas here", then when the driver kept trying he created a spark killing himself and everyone at the gas station. NHTSA investigation has already started.. "

"Tesla driver killed at gas station trying to fill car with gas. Tesla did NOT put a warning label saying "No gas here", then when the driver kept trying he created a spark killing himself and everyone at the gas station. NHTSA investigation has already started.. "
Yeah, I was just sort of commiserating. Hope it didn't look like I was calling YOU out for sharing, as that's not the case. Just tired of people not using any critical thinking skills when selecting/writing news stories not to mention what goes on in the brains of some of the morons that read them.

It's happening...

There doesn’t seem to be an appreciation here for just how much the fed is likely to be raising interest rates. Maybe a lot of people here aren’t old enough, but rates were in the 6% area in the late 1990s during the initial dot com boom and life was fine. Admittedly a lot of things are different today, like high inflation (which only makes high interest rates even more likely).

Anyways, here’s a fairly quick video warning that rates are going significantly higher. Having said that, it also points out that the US is hoovering up capital from around the world since our economy is still consuming. This will help the stock market at least not crash. And it makes an interesting prediction about Germany and possible capital controls coming in their future.

When my parents bought their first house (Sault Ste Marie ON) in 1961, the mortgage rate was 6.25%.

My dad reiterated that while we were discussing the current hand wringing over ”high” interest rates.

Well, I don't own any Baron funds, so I registered as "other." Still had the T-shirt thing though.

If they announce a new X.com or Elon fund (SpaceX, Boring, Neurolink, Tesla, (nouveau-Twitter, etc) I'll move some that direction.

I can't be tricked into getting on another mailing list for a mere t-shirt (although had they offered me a couple pounds of butter I would have been tempted). I stocked up on butter before the latest drop in share price and I can only hope my butter stash lasts until the next breakout!

Thanks to @Discoducky for the fabulous spread he put out for the Seattle TSLA Investor Summit, homemade bread and real butter! m-m-m-m-m! Don't get me wrong, there was a wide variety of awesome looking foods, but it was hard to beat the homemade bread and butter! I tried not to hog the butter too much. It was impressive to see a like mind at work, so we didn't have to eat beans and rice, you know, with the share price in the dumpster and all. ;)

Finally, FINALLY, got the cameras upgraded on my S for FSD after waiting 6 years. Bring on the next FSD release already.

While there, I had my bride sit in a Y, and after years of trying to talk her into getting rid of her hybrid Camry, I think she’s seeing it my way. More work to do though.

While there, couldn’t buy a parking spot. The lot was jammed with a mix of shiny new 3’s and Y’s and even S and X’s. Over 100 will be “delivered” over the next “few days” we were told.

When my parents bought their first house (Sault Ste Marie ON) in 1961, the mortgage rate was 6.25%.

My dad reiterated that while we were discussing the current hand wringing over ”high” interest rates.

Kinda of apples and turnips there though.... it's not merely the rate that is an issue, it's that it's a higher rate on a much larger amount of money

home prices have rapidly increased over the last five decades, eclipsing the inflation rate by 150% since 1970. In fact, if home prices grew at the same rate as inflation since 1970, the median home price today would be just $177,788 – rather than $408,100

Not to mention income has barely kept up with inflation, so it's behind housing price increases by similar amounts.

So 6.25% on a 177k loan (if a house cost the same today relative to inflation as 50+ years ago) vs a 408k loan (actual median today) is a massively larger payment.

Not only were they animal meat, but I found out afterwards that they are the cheapest hotdogs you can buy (which could explain why it tasted so bad). Since our disabled daughter is a human garbage disposal that eats anything, my wife gets those dogs for $1/pack. That's right - an entire pack for $1. I'm pretty sure that means those are filled with all the animal scraps that other profit hungry hot dog companies have too much integrity to use. I'm lucky I didn't need to get my stomach pumped, but it probably took one year off my life.... 🤕

(Edit: Apparently she got the cheap hot dogs to save more money since we were facing margin calls.... She won't do that again.)
My third boy sustained a severe craniocerebral trauma while pushing himself from his high chair by pushing with his 2 legs ont the table when he was 8 months old. He sustained an occipital skull fracture, subdural hematoma, bilateral retinal hemorrhage and C-spine fracture. He used to swing his head back and forth for fun and did swing it as a whiplash when falling down on his back with the high chair and broke his skull right on the wooden floor where the beam passes. I had just got back home after 72hrs on call and had just got back home from a full night fixing open fractures. My wife brought him to me unconscious and I just did CPR without thinking until the paramedics arrived… 35 minutes later. He stayed intubated at the children hospital ICU for 3 days before opening his eyes again but was completely blind. He recovered partially he is still hard to understand. His speech is like a drunk guy coming out from a bar.

My wife made him eat all the fish and the Omega-3 in the world to try to make his brain develop normally but I might switch to the diet you are feeding your daughter with the upcoming margin calls from the next next lower in the stock market. I don’t think the $400 weekly fresh vegetables she orders right from the local farms and all the organic fish we feed him is going to bring him back normal again. However this gives hope to my wife she is doing everything she can to make him grow and thrive a normal life. Hope TSLA goes back up someday because a part of my investments will be to support him if there is no more job for people with severe limitations in the future from Optimus and al.

Last edited:
Kinda of apples and turnips there though.... it's not merely the rate that is an issue, it's that it's a higher rate on a much larger amount of money

Not to mention income has barely kept up with inflation, so it's behind housing price increases by similar amounts.

So 6.25% on a 177k loan (if a house cost the same today relative to inflation as 50+ years ago) vs a 408k loan (actual median today) is a massively larger payment.
All true…but something has changed.

That first home (1960-1969) had three bedrooms, one bathroom and the kitchen/dining room in a 950 sq foot area; my folks raised my brother and I in that home, which was a typical sized home for that time.

Now, it is a situation where everyone has a private bathroom, the kitchen has solid materials for countertops, the floors are finished with expensive materials and the average footprint of the house is more than double.

So yea, it costs more because its over twice the size.

My third boy sustained a severe craniocerebral trauma while pushing himself from his high chair by pushing with his 2 legs ont the table when he was 8 months old. He sustained an occipital skull fracture, subdural hematoma, bilateral retinal hemorrhage and C-spine fracture. He used to swing his head back and forth for fun and did swing it as a whiplash when falling down on his back with the high chair and broke his skull right on the wooden floor where the beam passes. I had just got back home after 72hrs on call and had just got back home from a full night fixing open fractures. My wife brought him to me unconscious and I just did CPR without thinking until the paramedics arrived… 35 minutes later. He stayed intubated at the children hospital ICU for 3 days before opening his eyes again but was completely blind. He recovered partially he is still hard to understand. His speech is like a drunk guy coming out from a bar.

My wife made him eat all the fish and the Omega-3 in the world to try to make his brain develop normally but I might switch to the diet you are feeding your daughter with the upcoming margin calls from the next next lower in the stock market. I don’t think the $400 weekly fresh vegetables she orders right from the local farms and all the organic fish we feed him is going to bring him back normal again. However this gives hope to my wife she is doing everything she can to make him grow and thrive a normal life. Hope TSLA goes back up someday because a part of my investments will be to support him if there is no more job for people with severe limitations in the future from Optimus and al.
Oh man, I'm so sorry for you and your family. What a horrible accident.

Stories like yours snap me right back into place that I should not be complaining about minor life's quibbles such as TSLA stock price.

Hang in there (I know you are and will!).