Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted yes on everything except reelection of Kimbal and James. Yeah Im asking what have you done for me lately. I honestly dont know.
Not sure how you define “lately”, but Kimbal was the one that revealed that the board was not properly informed related to that billion dollar venture into crypto. I believe that set the stage for the departure of Zach whose job it was to inform the board. Others may disagree but I count this as a good thing and would not be surprised if more comes out as time goes on.

For this reason alone, I count Kimbal as a better influence on the board.

1716274071163.png

Looks like the following got it right with 2 seats:
We have seen much of Cybercab, I'm expecting something else at 8/8.

Not sure how you define “lately”, but Kimbal was the one that revealed that the board was not properly informed related to that billion dollar venture into crypto. I believe that set the stage for the departure of Zach whose job it was to inform the board. Others may disagree but I count this as a good thing and would not be surprised if more comes out as time goes on.

For this reason alone, I count Kimbal as a better influence on the board.
I have mixed feelings with Kimball. He seems a nice dude, not the smartest tool in the brunch but I kinda like him. His biggest asset would be not ti fear his Brother tho: Elon Is probably intimidating for everyone, but Kimbal knows him best.
Otoh, I don't see him as having much Influencer lately.

I kinda have a problem with the way layoff is being conducted. Its as if Elon just came back from Mars to a mess. So:

1. If Elon was on top of things the whole time, how did he let it get so bloated?
2. If Elon was absent, what did the board do or not do that led to it getting so bloated?

This sort of things is why key man risk has never been successfully addressed. There is not a stream of consistent decisions that speak to management cohesiveness.

Anyone got an explanation that doesnt involve me being a carebear?

Why would the board be responsible for the company getting bloated? The board is not responsible for any of the operational responsibilities. That responsibility lies solely with the executive team, the CEO most of all.

I hope this is just the start, 50k/yr globally seems cautious.
Is it? These are not model Ys, they will be the priciest vehicle product Tesla makes. The market for semis is also very conservative and cautious. I think this shows quite a bit of confidence.
I also suspect that this will end up being US only, with a second plant built in China or Europe once they have a LOT of semi miles under their belt. They may also by that point pivot to all semis being FSD only, in which case they can save money and have no drivers cab at all...

My interpretation of the earnings call is that they are not going to.

The "next-gen" vehicles on the Model 3/Y lines are probably going to be smaller versions of the Y and maybe a van, but not a compact car.

The compact car is now only for the compact robotaxi.
BERLIN needs a Model 3 performance sports back. Virtually all the Beemers in my town are sportsback (estates)

I kinda have a problem with the way layoff is being conducted. Its as if Elon just came back from Mars to a mess. So:

1. If Elon was on top of things the whole time, how did he let it get so bloated?
2. If Elon was absent, what did the board do or not do that led to it getting so bloated?

This sort of things is why key man risk has never been successfully addressed. There is not a stream of consistent decisions that speak to management cohesiveness.

Anyone got an explanation that doesnt involve me being a carebear?
Didn’t we see the same approach be applied with the store closing and layoffs 3-4 years ago after dismissal Q1 sales?
Seems a cyclical purge is his style. More over he then applied this in X and he doesn’t like dissent ( incase of the SuC team)
He also has a penchant for drama ;)
Not excuses …

Has anyone been able to vote IBKR shares? I got emails from my other brokerages but not IBKR...
Yes, they send a mail on May 1st. Nearly missed it, because in the title was about Tesla's Annual Shareholders Meeting. You will find a "Vote" button in the text.
IBKR is one of the only broker that allows voting for TSLA in Germany without any hurdles or costs.

I dont *sugar* on the board unless I have a good reason to. Defend it when appropriate even. Elon is a wartime CEO, I agree with that. He can take over and "resign" even the most senior executives. Fine, if thats what it takes. But, what does Tesla even need a board for? Why r we paying them tens of millions every year, just so they can come out asking for votes? I voted yes on everything except reelection of Kimbal and James. Yeah Im asking what have you done for me lately. I honestly dont know.
Aren’t Boards a legal requirement for publicly listed companies (and even most or all private ones)? Honestly, I don’t see the Tesla BOD as being less involved in operations and strategic development than those of other large corporations. It seems very rare that US corporate boards make public statements on anything other than legally required financial and annual reports.

[I am disturbed by the lack of oversight by someone of the way Elon sold shares and tanked the stock, but not sure whether the current Board or Compensation Committee’s hands were tied by the terms of his much earlier options grants. Would that be on the 2010 or whatever BOD? I voted FOR the reconfirmation of the 2018 compensation plan, but am unsure if shareholders are better protected this time from a repeat of the same debacle.]

Last edited:
Reactions: stef and tslagreen
Why would the board be responsible for the company getting bloated? The board is not responsible for any of the operational responsibilities. That responsibility lies solely with the executive team, the CEO most of all.
That just pushes the question one level higher, why didn’t the board hold the CEO to these responsibilities?

Do you think truck driver want an autonomous truck and have no future job ????
I this think is build they have mass strike everywhere
Yeah, strikes are very likely from those disrupted by autonomy, be it taxi drivers, delivery vans, truck drivers, food delivery.... it may make things tricky for some corporations, or lead to acts of sabotage by some disgruntled workers, but I doubt it will slow the transition in any meaningful way.

For the companies/operators themselves, they likely will have no choice but to transition to autonomy quickly, as should they not change, then newcomers which are fully autonomous will come in with much reduced costs and steel their business.

Its always struck me as significant that Pepsi has not (to my knowledge) highlighted or referenced FSD in their Tesla Semi's publicly at this point. This is likely strategic, to avoid staff unease now, whilst building a fleet that can be "switched on" to autonomy overnight at some future point.

There are two bits of news that Sawyer is declining to share.

1) Pepsi said their current fleet is 21. What happened to the other 15 from their original 36?

2) Deliveries to other non-Pepsi customers is now targeted for 2026. That's further out than the "production starts 2019" claim made in 2017.