Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is the many buyers who can normally only afford a $25k-$30k car and who are already straining their finances to get a $35k Tesla. For them a $40k car is simply not an option - and they possibly wouldn't get the loan to begin with.

Here's the typical annual household income distribution in the UK (U.S. IRS data is way too coarse unfortunately, but it's similar):

resource

As we can see it on the histogram, "mean" and even "median" income levels don't give a real picture of income distribution: the best figure is "modal" income (not depicted), the peak of the histogram, which is about 65% of "mean" and 80% of "median".

U.S. median disposable income is around $31k, the "modal" max is probably around $25k. For most people the prudent "affordability limit" is around 100% of their annual disposable (post tax) income, and this is roughly how far their banks will allow their car loans to stretch as well.

A lot of people in the $25k-$35k income bracket (~20% of the population) are probably straining to get a Model 3 (giving /r/personalfinance a collective heart attack), and for them the $35k entry price is a godsend.

Put differently: due to the non-even distribution of income, every $1,000 reduction in the entry price moves about +2% more of all car buyers into the "affordability range" of the least expensive Tesla.

In the U.S. alone that's ~2 million more households that can afford a Tesla - and those households alone are buying 300,000 cars per year on average (!).

These entry price reductions are expanding Tesla's addressable market enormously.

One thing I'd like to point out is that (without getting into personal details, but it isn't an obvious reason) I have difficulty getting financing. When I was lining up my M3 purchase I went to my bank and they all but laughed at me -- and they know my income, balance growth, etc. I tried lining up a loan via USAA and was again rejected. In both cases they'd only approve a loan for $20k.

So I was not at all sure about financing, but tried Tesla anyway. Not only was there no issue with getting the loan, it was something like half the interest rate.

The trick is that when financing through Tesla they set the approval standards and they clearly don't care about my being black listed.

The reason I'm relating this anecdote is that people may find it easier to get financing, and at better terms, with Tesla than they are used to. Obviously there's no guarantee and I don't think my personal situation is that common, but Tesla seems more interested in selling cars than maximizing profit with a high interest rate that limits the principle based on monthly payments to reach that interest rate.

If I'm right there may be a swell in car purchasing among mid to lower incomes as the lower interest enables a higher purchase price and the incentive of getting an SR or SR+

My hypothesis is that all available March Model 3 production and most of inventory got ordered already by the time Elon tweeted the Model Y reveal.

He'd not risk Osborning Q1 Model 3 sales without having a firm idea about SR and SR+ induced sales.

Indeed, I suspect there was a torrent orders during the few days following the availability of a $35,000 Model 3. That could have been from both those with reservations and those simply inspired by the news. Google hits for Model 3 skyrocketed. That may have weighed on the ability to quickly deliver Model 3s. Hence an announcement of the Model Y might have been perceived as not osborning the Model 3. So no concern about a Model Y unveiling right at the time that was originally projected. Elon may now be aiming at hitting goals on time or even earlier. Perhaps Ellison has been an influence.

Last edited:
That article feels incredibly fake

I've been running the various Chinese articles I can find through Google Translate. The letter just appears to be "rumoured", and looks like anything that anyone could have written in Microsoft Word.

BTW, given that there's a bunch of owner protests in China right now about the price cut.... let's just say that motive is present.

Regardless of news flow, this stock is vulnerable to short-term manipulation. Closing of stores and a product-wide price drop sends signals to the market of a need to drive revenue and cut costs.

Regardless if this is due to desperation or a strategic move (or both), this move opens up potential risks to an investor.

If you're a short term investor, this price action is going to be queasy.

If you're a long term investor, this is Tesla doing Tesla things.

If true, this roughly can impact half the deliveries for Jan, Feb production ... hence better to clarify.

No, China deliveries are expected to be less than 10% of Q1 production.

I agree with @KarenRei, looks fake and inauthentic:
  • there's no reason to crop the photo unless the intent is to mislead,
  • Chinese officials are denying it,
  • Tesla is denying it,
  • there's evidence of shorts herding up.
We'll see later today what the short sale percentage was.