Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. But I’m positive there will be recorded complaints about how the stainless steel doesn’t have a consistent color and then later how the color changes to a patina. Just wait for it.

I think I saw a video on the cybertruck, where they were showing that welding stainless steel can be very tricky. I imagine this might be a possible area of complaint, perhaps not at first, but bad welds might cause problems down the road. Can't recall just now which youtube channel did that video. Maybe Rich rebuilds, or the Electrified Garage?

I think I saw a video on the cybertruck, where they were showing that welding stainless steel can be very tricky. I imagine this might be a possible area of complaint, perhaps not at first, but bad welds might cause problems down the road. Can't recall just now which youtube channel did that video. Maybe Rich rebuilds, or the Electrified Garage?

Have you seen Boca Chica lately??? o_O

I agree that some cars have problems, though I am skeptical of the "highly overstated" part. I think unhappy buyers tend to be vocal, for sure. But the majority are silent, take their cars, and go on with their lives. Which Tesla's counting on.

I'm starting to think Tesla's management strategy with car quality is "management by luck." They're continuing to count in incredible levels of customer goodwill, generated through the sheer delight and fun of the Tesla driving experience, the look and functionality of the cars, the feeling of being set FREE from the clutches of the oil and gas industry, and the feeling of helping the overall company mission and climate crisis mitigation and the sense of "belonging" with the millions of others who've already taken the plunge, etc. So there's all this goodwill that historically has helped out Tesla with customers overlooking/forgiving quality issues going back to day one.

I agree with others that the Y is still new, and anything new with relatively low VINs may have some issues. Most will be forgiven by new owners, if they even notice them. The detail-oriented, checklist-carrying mavens among us might send the car back, or demand repairs/corrections, and I think this is where the luck factor comes in: Tesla's counting on the number of such send-it-back-and-fix-it demands to be relatively low. If it got really big, then it becomes an Issue. And Tesla is also incentivized, by Wall Street and shareholders in general, to perform well in each quarter, especially in the current Q2 due to the pandemic. All these pressures come bearing down on Tesla and I think the company continues to count on luck with regard to the quality control issues that probably affect a small-to-medium portion the factory's output. Me, personally, I'd raise holy hell if I were Elon and fix the effing QC problems, put new management in place, do whatever it takes. But that's just me.

Cars for me has always been just a means to get somewhere as a last resort choice and I only ever owned a car right out of school because I had to commute far away for work. So I've never experienced a luxury car and hence my taste hasn't been honed and refined to that of a connoisseur. From that perspective Tesla Model 3s are amazing. And looking at the number of Toyota owners upgrading to 3 I am pretty sure Tesla will be fine.

Perhaps they can cater to the richer clients with luxe interiors in the future once the mission of saving the earth's climate is achieved.

A very, very large amount of knowledge and experience with stainless steel.
Good points. I haven't been following along to know if structural and pressurized parts are stainless as the outer skin is, but I imagine robots welding trucks at volume production is going to be quite a different situation compared to the low production situation at SpaceX. It's been 8 years of highly variable quality in paint jobs coming out of Fremont from what I hear at least.

Yep. But I’m positive there will be recorded complaints about how the stainless steel doesn’t have a consistent color and then later how the color changes to a patina. Just wait for it.

No, it will have scratches that Tesla will say are "in spec". The panel gaps will be large to help you climb in the bed.

I can hardly wait for my year one CYBRTRCK; paint issues and all. Bring it!

I'll make my own paint issues.

cybertruck13.jpg

Fortunately, I own two welders. ;)