Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Capture 3.JPG

:eek:

Rolled my Puts over for an easy $5K. Whats the worse that can happen? I'll have to buy 100 more long shares at a price I'm very comfortable with.

Re: Islands. I prefer to get one of those floating chairs with a cupholder and sit in the center of my pool on my self made island. Much less stressful then running a real Island especially with a tasty drink in the cupholder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/06/25/tesla-plant-firings/

Tesla gave workers permission to stay home rather than risk getting covid-19. Then it sent termination notices.

...to two workers.

As far as I know, the workers should have been back after May 31. I guess that they did not return to work in June, which is why they got their notices.

"The company is giving employees the option to take unpaid leave until May 31, with HR approval, if they are worried about exposing a household member to Covid-19."

See cnbc article from 2020/05/21 - "Tesla returns to normal operations"

That's a great looking solar install! Very clean looking and it makes me think of an idea for a solar roof product I've had for a long time. Tesla should branch out now while the opportunity is hot.

As an alternative to using over-lapping solar shingles and the issue of all the electrical connections subject to corrosion, why not design a roof using large solar panels, tightly butted, with integrated metal flashing "gutters" underneath to channel the small amount of water that might make it through the seams. The joints between each panel could be designed along the lines of a standing seam metal roof with small flashings to keep most of the water sheeting off the tops of the panels. It wouldn't replace their solar roof as some people want the more traditional look of shingles, and it wouldn't be suitable for a lot of retro-fits because roofs typically have a lot of protrusions, shaded areas, etc. but for purpose built, new construction I think such a system would be cheaper and longer-lasting with a very modern, clean appearance. Because it would be slightly raised off the roof structure, air could flow between the roof and panels. This would also greatly reduce power requirements for air conditioning by keeping the entire top of the house in shade.

Barron's - 19 minutes ago: Tesla Flops in Initial-Quality Survey. It Likely Doesn’t Matter for the Stock.

Excerpt:

The industry average is 166. So Tesla is about 0.8 problems per new car away from the average. The 2019 initial quality average was just 93 problems. Car quality isn't going south. Instead, cars are getting more complicated. There are more chances for issues to pop up. "Premium brands generally equip their vehicles with more complex technology, which can cause problems for some owners," the JD Powers news says.

Tesla's individual models weren't rated by JD Power. "Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla doesn't grant us permission to survey its owners in 15 states where it is required," Doug Betts, president of the automotive division at JD Power, said in the news release. "However, we were able to collect a large enough sample of surveys from owners in the other 35 states and, from that base, we calculated Tesla's score."

Consumer Reports does rate individual car models, giving an overall test score and a rating on predicted reliability. The Model S gets a score of 83 out of 100 and is the No. 2 ultraluxury vehicle ranked, edged out by the BMW (BMW.Germany) 7 Series. The Model S is a Consumer Reports recommend car and its predicted reliability is average.

The Model 3 scores 80 and is ranked fourth out of 17 compact luxury cars on the site. Its predicted reliability is also average and it is a recommended purchase. The Model X is the one Tesla model that struggles, scoring 57 and ranking in the middle of the pack among luxury SUVs. Its predicted reliability is below average. The Porsche Cayenne, scores an 88 and the Audi e-tron scores an 81.

Great video from Rob this morning. He says Tesla already has a million mile battery and addresses CATL's announcement (and why it isn't a big deal).

Thanks for this - Rob's putting great content out and to do this on a daly basis is pretty astonishing. Aside being informative, revealing, I find his analysis extremely insightful. Thinking to cross his palm with some silver...

...You're in Los Angeles.

Try that somewhere more remote. There is none within 100 miles of Hanford, CA; the closest are actually in Los Angeles, which is a 4 hour drive from there.

Exactly! The highest margins are cars sold close to the factory. The only time I believe this isn't true is when there is a favorable move in the foreign exchange rate in a market where Tesla's are priced in the foreign currency (or perhaps China with GF3 production). But, in general, Tesla wants to avoid there ever being a disincentive for sales close to the factory.

Demand outstrips supply so they meet demand needs closest to the factory first (even then they can misjudge the strength of local demand and run out of inventory close to the factory).

• Informative
Reactions: bpjod
I don't wanna go any further down this rabbit hole:
  • $0.15 / KWh is NOT dirt cheap
  • Tesla will sell energy to Semi users at $0.07 / KWh which includes
    • Solar panels and electrical infrastructure
    • Land costs
    • Megapack storage for solar energy for 24 hr operations
    • Charging infrastucture (ie: MegaChargers)
That article likely conflates "installed capacity cost" (that's the $0.15/KWh) with "project cost".

There is no way they are going to do a 1 GWh-scale project like Tesla is doing right now for Southern California Edison for $150/MWh capacity cost. That'd be like $150,000 for a Gigawatt of installed storage. Ridiculous. waste. of. time.

Again, I am DONE. Please, no more on this topic. I will delete this reply in 1 hr.

I don't know the cost of the big battery systems, but they don't compete with baseline cost, they compete with peaker plant cost, which is likely over 20-25 cents per KWh. Batteries can also reduce long distance distribution requirements, which enables further cost avoidance.

I'm not debating either of your assumptions, just noting they don't need to compete with baseload pricing (coal, solar, wind).

Chemical batteries have advantages in speed of response, but this could be a better solution to grid scale energy storage.

Cost-effective seasonal energy storage would be a great addition to battery energy storage. The two could be very complimentary. But I think it's going to be difficult to beat batteries for absorbing the daily fluctuations due to their constantly dropping cost curve and ease of integration.