Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do what you need to do that makes you feel comfortable. Don't let them pressure you into making a decision about your investment to keep them happy. I've been with Fidelity over 20 years now and in the beginning they contacted me at least monthly. Now the guy that was my assigned advisor back then (and still is now) is a VP there and he has an assistant call me once a year to see if I want to schedule an appointment with him. This guy convinced me that having too much AAPL 20 years ago was dangerous and I needed to diversify. Sadly I finally let him talk me into selling half my AAPL chairs just before iPhone. Their mantra of "diversify for safety" probably makes sense for a lot of people who really don't know what they are doing, but also selling/buying keeps the churn going which profits the brokers. It was a learning experience that cost me a few million dollars.
Yep, following the conventional wisdom (of diversifying) also cost me a few millions. When I left Amazon (after 11 years), I sold most of my stock options to avoid having too many eggs in one basket. Still I am luckier than a few of my colleagues (who sold everything), what I kept is still worth a couple millions. Live and learn!

I wonder about how it all collapses, like what comes first, second...? Anyone for a thought experiment?
- Parts not available
- Nobody want's your used ICE
- Nobody want's your Hybrid
- Price of a barrel of oil drops from low demand
- Gas prices rise as refineries exit
- Gas stations close or convert to EV, no customers

Like what's the actual wakeup call that sets it in motion to where it's so obvious and the scramble happens in every home? When can I say to the people in our cul de sac... "I warned you."
The wakeup call happens when your cul de sac neighbours go to buy a new ICE vehicle and want to finance the purchase and are asked to provide collateral since that new ICE vehicle can no longer act as its own collateral.

Looks very murky to me whether or not Elon is selling today. We are outperforming macros by a good bit as of this.
Don't forget it's a smaller tranche this last one, so they say, completed sooner. Sure looked like continual selling pressure until suddenly there it was gone and it popped. Unfortunately the macros took a dump after that, plus Hedgies still would like the SP below 1100 for the Friday close...

Don't forget it's a smaller tranche this last one, so they say, completed sooner. Sure looked like continual selling pressure until suddenly there it was gone and it popped. Unfortunately the macros took a dump after that, plus Hedgies still would like the SP below 1100 for the Friday close...
nothing as of yet

Do what you need to do that makes you feel comfortable. Don't let them pressure you into making a decision about your investment to keep them happy. I've been with Fidelity over 20 years now and in the beginning they contacted me at least monthly. Now the guy that was my assigned advisor back then (and still is now) is a VP there and he has an assistant call me once a year to see if I want to schedule an appointment with him. This guy convinced me that having too much AAPL 20 years ago was dangerous and I needed to diversify. Sadly I finally let him talk me into selling half my AAPL chairs just before iPhone. Their mantra of "diversify for safety" probably makes sense for a lot of people who really don't know what they are doing, but also selling/buying keeps the churn going which profits the brokers. It was a learning experience that cost me a few million dollars.
IMHO, neither "Financial Planners", nor Real Estate agents are your friends; they have their own best interests in mind, not yours.

I mentioned, to both my venerable and trustworthy long-time accountant and the kindly fellow who runs the local office of the brokerage associated with the local credit union I have an account with, that I hoped they weren't giving folks bad advice that they should "diversify". Neither one of them said anything in reply, they just got really quiet all of a sudden...

I'm posting this as I pat myself on the back for NEVER diversifying, though I have made lots of other relatively small but quite costly mistakes...
Yep, following the conventional wisdom (of diversifying) also cost me a few millions. When I left Amazon (after 11 years), I sold most of my stock options to avoid having too many eggs in one basket. Still I am luckier than a few of my colleagues (who sold everything), what I kept is still worth a couple millions. Live and learn!

I just now sold off all my bitcoin GBTC at a loss, going pure TSLA but need to understand something first... new territory for me. Thanks in advance.

I still have one Call and it's gradually coming back faster than decay, so I might ride it out TBD. Considered buying it at maturity or sell once green (soon I believe). It's a Jan 21 850 strike (paid way too much, still red). So if there's another TSLA correction and I have no cash, margin call time? I'd then have to sell a few shares to cover it, correct? But earning won't be out until after the 21st?

Choices (not options, lol):
1. Keep the option for now, buy more TSLA, but keep enough cash to cover if needed, or
2. Wait until Green and if it grows enough, try to own it by selling a few TSLA shares, or
3. Just dump it now and go all in? No margin worries, less risk of downside.
4. Other?

WWMD (What Would Musk Do?)

I just now sold off all my bitcoin GBTC at a loss, going pure TSLA but need to understand something first... new territory for me. Thanks in advance.

I still have one Call and it's gradually coming back faster than decay, so I might ride it out TBD. Considered buying it at maturity or sell once green (soon I believe). It's a Jan 21 850 strike (paid way too much, still red). So if there's another TSLA correction and I have no cash, margin call time? I'd then have to sell a few shares to cover it, correct? But earning won't be out until after the 21st?

Choices (not options, lol):
1. Keep the option for now, buy more TSLA, but keep enough cash to cover if needed, or
2. Wait until Green and if it grows enough, try to own it by selling a few TSLA shares, or
3. Just dump it now and go all in? No margin worries, less risk of downside.
4. Other?

WWMD (What Would Musk Do?)
Sell a calendar call against it and make your money now - day before expiration close them out.
I.e. Sell a $1200 call against the $850 is $30 right now - or an $1150 for $45.
Then if it is more your upside is caped but you at least made some of the cash back.

Or option 2 is to roll it out a month and up a couple of strikes - you could free roll it to March 22' $900 right now and have plenty more time and limited downside.

Or like a million other things - but don't let it be wasted money.
Come visit us in the "other thread" if you want more specific "not advice"

It'll be Dec sales numbers, not production number.......but it's clear the number will be good. Likely over 60k, maybe 65k since he seems to think it's a big surprise.

Hopefully it's a surprise like, "Wow, what a beat!" and not, "Wow, was expecting a much higher number!" 😅

Hopefully it's a surprise like, "Wow, what a beat!" and not, "Wow, was expecting a much higher number!" 😅
That would be some epic trolling.

Luckily we have no reason to think production/sales would have dropped considering all the anecdotal evidence out there. Thus the only logical assumption is that the number will surprise as a much higher number than expected.