Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
His numbers make zero sense. If he's expecting 16k, why is he estimating that tesla would end Q4 with a massive number of vehicles in inventory. As in over 50k in inventory. The numbers don't add up.
I see the confusion on facts continues to rise. Imagine if someone allowed FUD to run free for a while, misinformation in both directions - what would happen? Sticking to my theory - the distractions may be intentional. Keep the confusion coming! (Edit: OK, that was harsh, was just battle talk is all.)

Last edited:
I've been struggling with the decision of canceling my Roadster deposit so I can reinvest that $50k in TSLA. I made a separate thread to discuss. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Indeed, I just looked at Belgian inventory and there's basically nothing. Normally this time of the quarter you'll see a excess of inventory "in transit", but nope... and we've seen record ships to EU this quarter too

Gives some hope on nasty red days like this...
Saw a few off-leases, maybe demos yesterday in inventory in the States with FSD included. Boy those look like buys to me! If/when the stars are properly aligned, I'll be taking advantage of one of the blue Long Range Y's.

I've been struggling with the decision of canceling my Roadster deposit so I can reinvest that $50k in TSLA. I made a separate thread to discuss. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I might need to in order to avoid an Elon induced margin call.

• Funny
Reactions: M|S|W and elasalle
Tesla does manage what inventory they show (have been doing this for the last 6 years at least), so it could be larger. You just don't know the real number, except if there was very little inventory at the end of a quarter. My guess is, the showrooms won't be empty this year (I'm sure Q1 will be back to the way it usually is).
Minor data point on this.

I have a Model X order with March-to-May 2023 delivery window.

Got a text today offering me to search available inventory for delivery this December. They gave me a link that pulled up 3 available cars with very similar configs (but priced higher because I had the old FSD pricing).

Not one of these cars is showing in available inventory for new Model X's in California if you search any way other than the link I was provided.

I'm waiting out for my original delivery date and price.

p.s. I'll leave it to others to speculate why they have excess X inventory at year-end and are reaching all the way to March deliveries to find buyers. My own view is that this time around is not like the past and something has changed.

On Monday, China's IT House reported, citing a Tesla employee, that Giga Shanghai is not suspending Model Y production from December 25 to January 1, 2023, as Reuters previously reported. “That's not true. Why would we stop production? It's a rumor,” said a factory employee, though the name or position was not given.
Woot! I can feel it now, incoming demand shares when Reuters goes for the trifecta in 3, 2, 1 -

Pretty much what we knew, but this sure as hell won't be picked up by Reuters.

What I don't get is, with all this FUD going around, how are people going to explain how insanely bad their predictions were when Q4 P&D hits? I mean, seriously, they are setting the stage for a sub-400k delivery quarter, but we all here are seeing just gang-busters numbers.
Yes! 383,000. Spread the word. The number is solid. I promise.

Minor data point on this.

I have a Model X order with March-to-May 2023 delivery window.

Got a text today offering me to search available inventory for delivery this December. They gave me a link that pulled up 3 available cars with very similar configs (but priced higher because I had the old FSD pricing).

Not one of these cars is showing in available inventory for new Model X's in California if you search any way other than the link I was provided.

I'm waiting out for my original delivery date and price.

p.s. I'll leave it to others to speculate why they have excess X inventory at year-end and are reaching all the way to March deliveries to find buyers. My own view is that this time around is not like the past and something has changed.
Your location says southern California.
Tesla focusing on matching cars to local deliveries at the end of the quarter instead of leaving them in transit is par for the course.

Tesla does manage what inventory they show (have been doing this for the last 6 years at least), so it could be larger. You just don't know the real number, except if there was very little inventory at the end of a quarter. My guess is, the showrooms won't be empty this year (I'm sure Q1 will be back to the way it usually is).
That $3,750 discount for new cars should help. The bitch about the $7,500 tax credit is that you have to owe that much FIT in order to take advantage of it and I typically don't owe any taxes, so it's really not that good of a deal but plus it's income constrained as well.

For most folks I would think the discount makes more sense, if you're buying new that is. As I posted earlier, there's some screaming deals in used inventory.

Edit: Added "for tax year 2022 at least"

Edit 2: Deleted Edit above. Reason? Stupidity on my part

Last edited:
That $3,750 discount for new cars should help. The bitch about the $7,500 tax credit is that you have to owe that much FIT in order to take advantage of it and I typically don't owe any taxes, so it's really not that good of a deal, plus it's income constrained as well.

For most folks I would think the discount makes more sense, if you're buying new that is. As I posted earlier, there's some screaming deals in used inventory.
If one is plannig the the 7500, I'd assume they would adjust their withholding no? And if the market recovers and there's a decent rally back to 300, we all could have some tax burdens? lol

If one is plannig the the 7500, I'd assume they would adjust their withholding no? And if the market recovers and there's a decent rally back to 300, we all could have some tax burdens? lol
You are correct, but each case is different. The only thing I owe FIT on is capital gains (mostly long-term) and a piddling amount of dividends. However, since I (hopefully) won't have a huge amount of medical expenses in 2023, if I sold enough chairs to buy a Y, I would have the taxes to take advantage of it!

Thanks for turning on my brain @mongo and @thesmokingman!

Last edited:

On Monday, China's IT House reported, citing a Tesla employee, that Giga Shanghai is not suspending Model Y production from December 25 to January 1, 2023, as Reuters previously reported. “That's not true. Why would we stop production? It's a rumor,” said a factory employee, though the name or position was not given.
Maybe a niave question, but how can Reuters continue this blatant manipulation and misinformation without consequence?