Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Troy is now spreading FUD about inventory.

As @Artful Dodger pointed out, Tesla is intentionally trying to push sales to inventory and bring the backlog down. Which would then render Troy’s entire demand FUD based on backlog mute.

So what do you do then? Start questioning the inventory numbers. I’m not disputing that there might be duplicates of one config. I haven’t looked into it enough and just in the 15-20 mins I looked just now, still saw some instances of where exact same configs were listed multiple times and not just once, as Troy is claiming. But either way, to start a narrative that there might upwards of 12 or 15 vehicles per configuration at each location is just blatant fear mongering and FUD.

He knows what he’s doing here and I find it disgusting. There’s zero reason for even trying to bring this narrative into focus because there is zero way he’s going to have access to even 1% of the data needed to make any sort of assumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Troy making a good observation on twitter that I wasn’t aware of: the inventory listed on teslas website only lists each configuration of model once, so it doesn’t actually help us precisely see how much inventory there is.

Eg there is only one vehicle listed for each model/color combination. So one listing for a black LR model Y with odometer <50 miles might represent one car or one hundred of that particular configuration in that geographic region covered.

Troy is now spreading FUD about inventory.

As @Artful Dodger pointed out, Tesla is intentionally trying to push sales to inventory and bring the backlog down. Which would then render Troy’s entire demand FUD based on backlog mute.

So what do you do then? Start questioning the inventory numbers. I’m not disputing that there might be duplicates of one config. I haven’t looked into it enough and just in the 15-20 mins I looked just now, still saw some instances of where exact same configs were listed multiple times and not just once, as Troy is claiming. But either way, to start a narrative that there might upwards of 12 or 15 vehicles per configuration at each location is just blatant fear mongering and FUD.

He knows what he’s doing here and I find it disgusting. There’s zero reason for even trying to bring this narrative into focus because there is zero way he’s going to have access to even 1% of the data needed to make any sort of assumption.
I don’t think so at all (that @Troy is creating fud) he is trying to crowdsource a way to get a better estimate of inventory.

Can you highlight where you found multiple vehicles listed of the exact same configuration as n the US? Because that is exactly what @Troy is looking for.

Last edited:
@Troy making a good observation on twitter that I wasn’t aware of: the inventory listed on teslas website only lists each configuration of model once, so it doesn’t actually help us precisely see how much inventory there is.

Eg there is only one vehicle listed for each model/color combination. So one listing for a black LR model Y with odometer <50 miles might represent one car or one hundred of that particular configuration in that geographic region covered.
No it’s not. It’s fear mongering and absolutely zero way to have an answer because he doesn’t have any data to determine anything.

How you don’t see that is beyond me

I don’t think so at all (that @Troy is creating fud) he is trying to crowdsource a way to get a better estimate of inventory.

Can you highlight where you found multiple vehicles listed of the exact same configuration? Because that is exactly what @Troy is looking for.
There’s no possible way anyone could crowdsource enough data here to make any sort of remote conclusion. It’s practically following TeslaQ’s tried and true formula…start questioning a number or piece of data that you know there won’t be an answer to and paint a narrative that there’s tons of unsold inventory sitting around.

Again, I’m not disputing that there is or isn’t duplicates for each config listed in inventory. But it’s beyond stupid to try and track this. It would be like trying find out how many duplicate of every IPhone config are sitting in back of each Apple Store to then somehow determine how much demand there is.

It’s stupid, plain and simple.

Last edited:

EV-cpo.com and others scrape the database, I believe their numbers are accurate (except for hidden inventory, which you can't see).

No it’s not. It’s fear mongering and absolutely zero way to have an answer because he doesn’t have any data to determine anything.

How you don’t see that is beyond me
I used to like to come here to get every bit of possible information on Tesla. Where we could piece together what really was going on. Now it is a place where any new information is just shot down. It is mentioned several times we know Tesla is not showing all the inventory. As a Tesla shareholder I am interested in any data on inventory. Thank you very much.

So I don't think everything Tesla is picked up, just those things that support the current narrative

None of those were countering recent FUD. Tesla producing more vehicles will never have the same weight as countering "Tesla shutting down 20% of production!!!" or similar. There is value in countering every single piece of FUD put out there with supporting data. That's exactly what many of us have been doing for over a decade on various sites. It would be nice to reference a corporate statement to make a point instead of having to do hours of research and reading of tea leaves, which only reaches a relatively small audience.

There’s no possible way anyone could crowdsource enough data here to make any sort of remote conclusion. It’s practically following TeslaQ’s tried and true formula…start questioning a number or piece of data that you know there won’t be an answer to and paint a narrative that there’s tons of unsold inventory sitting around.
The last few weeks there have been dozens/hundreds of posts in this thread detailing how much of each model was available in numerous different geographic locations, the assumption being how bullish this is for the quarter.

However if all those posts were incorrect because one inventory listing could represent an unknown number of actual cars, then many of those posts were incorrect information

Troy pointing that error out is not FUD at all.

Last edited:
I haven’t looked into it enough and just in the 15-20 mins I looked just now, still saw some instances of where exact same configs were listed multiple times

I'm pretty sure you didn't and you are ignoring the location which I highlighted in my tweet with the red boxes. Add a screenshot and a link so we can see the duplicates too. There are none in the US.

Here is Tesla's inventory page in case others want to try to find multiple instances of the same configuration in the same location: New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Also, I'm getting some feedback about how many multiples actual inventory is in the US compared to the listed inventory (which shows only unique configurations per location). The idea that I can't possibly calculate an estimate is not correct.

Last edited:
Also, I'm getting some feedback about how many multiples actual inventory is in the US compared to the listed inventory (which shows only unique configurations per location). The idea that I can't possibly calculate an estimate is not correct.
It’s almost comical how delusional this is. You thinking that because you get some responses from people that drive by a delivery center today at one particular time and count how many cars are in the lot, without them knowing what cars are inventory, which ones are pre configs and what the interior trims/configs are just ridiculous.

It depends. I work for an EV manufacturer that when public via a Spac this year and the stock has tanked hugely. Stock options that I got 5 years ago are not even worth exercising because the strike price is higher than the current share price 🤣. I got some RSU's after they when public that are already becoming vested and they are worth some money but not much. Yeah it is somewhat depressing that options and stock didn't become a huge bonus but it doesn't affect my work. I always saw that type kind of compensation as something extra; as the cherry on top that was not certain. I might get more RSU's early next year and I hope they increase the share count a lot to compensate for the low stock price.
are you an hourly line worker?

It’s almost comical how delusional this is. You thinking that because you get some responses from people that drive by a delivery center today at one particular time and count how many cars are in the lot, without them knowing what cars are inventory, which ones are pre configs and what the interior trims/configs are just ridiculous.
There is a white tag on the car when it is delivered to the service center that says if it is an inventory car.

Again, I’m not disputing that there is or isn’t duplicates for each config listed in inventory. But it’s beyond stupid to try and track this. It would be like trying find out how many duplicate of every IPhone config are sitting in back of each Apple Store to then somehow determine how much demand there is.

It’s stupid, plain and simple.
Why is the search for truth and better information an attempt to create FUD? I view it as the exact opposite. When one decries the search for truth and testing and rigor...those are the ones with something to hide.

I think what Troy is trying to do is interesting, and even possibly useful to us investors. I'd like to know more about how much inventory Tesla has sitting around, it could help us calculate production vs delivery numbers, or at least estimate them better.

Just my two cents.

EV-cpo.com and others scrape the database, I believe their numbers are accurate (except for hidden inventory, which you can't see).
and tesla clearly has hidden inventory because posters here have been offered hidden vehicles.

Personally, I think far too much attention given to the monthly numbers. This month is the last before IRA. It would be odd if people didn't wait. Next months numbers will be interesting but again, just a month. Watch for trends emerging. Don't speculate on monthly numbers. Don't speculate. Buy and hold.

I think what Troy is trying to do is interesting, and even possibly useful to us investors. I'd like to know more about how much inventory Tesla has sitting around, it could help us calculate production vs delivery numbers, or at least estimate them better.

Just my two cents.
I agree it’s interesting information; but it’s the assumptions drawn from the data that are erroneous. Inventory will be building. That’s not a bad thing especially coming into a subsidy environment in 2 weeks. The cars will get sold. Even if free charging or cheap other freebies are needed. Trust the process?

People really like to buy a car and get a car. Most people don’t want to order and wait multiple weeks for a car. Inventory in itself can increase demand and reduce logistics costs.

Wow ok, if some here can’t see the impracticality of what Troy is trying to crowd source here and then make a determination about how much inventory there is for the entire US market…I don’t know what to tell ya 🤷.
especially as other services are already doing it. You could tell us "my bad for trying to suppress the truth" and apologize to Troy for attacking him. That would be nice in this end of the year season that is a period of reflection and holy for many.