Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few concerns I have about the end of Q delivery rush:

- Will the winter storm in the US have a negative impact on deliveries during the last week of the year? Or is the worst weather limited to states where usually not a lot of Teslas are sold? And how about Canada?

- Now that a Covid-tsunami is sweeping across China and millions have to self-isolate, will less people be able to pick up their car? I guess it’s better than lockdowns though.

- Delays at sea and a lack of transport trucks are messing up the delivery timeline of the cars on the last two ships to arrive in Europe (Belgium) this year. Now that one ship has docked and the other one is about to, hopefully Tesla can find ways to speed up deliveries (like pick-up at the harbor).
As for news from China, nothing is closed due to covid, however the wave is huge and pretty much every family member we have got covid this week or last week. There's still plenty of economic activity going on according to boots on the ground, however this is Beijing which got the wave first.

The Treasury guidance is the trigger to switch from the current pack size requirement for the $7,500 to the new mineral and component requirements. It was supposed to be released by Dec 31st, but they are now guiding for March, thus the last minute scramble on discounts.

The rest of the criteria are active now and the 200k manufacturer production cap goes away Jan 1. This requalifies Tesla.
Point of sale credit kicks in 2024.

The cell and module credits are a different section (Advanced Manufacturing) and not tied to guidance.
So I still can’t decode from this info whether Tesla will get manufacturing incentives for producing cells and battery in North America in Q1?

Reactions: traxila
I wrote earlier when news first broke out about Tesla's shut down and my take was that it would happen, and we should be prep for a shut down but not due to demand. I believe when Tesla China refuted the original article, it was the demand part they had a problem with because you never shut down due to a lack of demand as it's cheaper to drop prices than to shut down.

I thought rolling blackouts were a California thing.

I thought Texas not being prepared for winter was a too far south thing.

Tennessee (where I am) isn't California and is noticeably further north than Texas. We are used to cold weather here.

When I went to bed last night it was 3 degrees outside. Before I got out of bed this morning we had a rolling black out around 4-6am (I just rolled over and half slept through all my UPSs beeping for about 30 minutes), a second rolling blackout around 8am (again I rolled over and half slept through all my UPSs beeping for about 30 minutes), I had breakfast and lunch and then we got another rolling blackout around 3pm (by then it was about 20 degrees outside).

I've been waiting to get Tesla solar PV + Powerwall for a long time. I thought I wanted it for random storm outages that last 3 minutes. Little did I know I'd be wanting it for rolling blackouts that happen multiple times a day leaving me without power for more than an hour (never more than 40 minutes in a chunk, but between 1 and 2 hours so far today in total blackouts).

1671918924638.png

Let me tell you, if Tesla can expand to 40+ states (at least the 40 most populated) they really do have nearly unlimited demand.

After what I saw today I'm so ready to order, if the site would take it my CC number would be in there...

even the smallest system 4.8kW and 1 powerwall would change this day dramatically. The estimator says 15 hours on one powerwall in the winter. Well I only need a couple of hours on the powerall to live through rolling blackouts.

oh and another surprise, they changed the ordering page for Solar PV again. You can now size your system in 400 Watt increments (0.4 kW) that are $804 each (pre tax credits). Mininum size 4.8 kW, max size 24 kw. So the old ~4kW buckets are gone. Build your desired spec now.

1671919430804.png

Last edited:

Tennessee (where I am) isn't California and is noticeably further north than Texas. We are used to cold weather here.

When I went to bed last night it was 3 degrees outside. Before I got out of bed this morning we had a rolling black out around 4-6am (I just rolled over and half slept through all my UPSs beeping for about 30 minutes), a second rolling blackout around 8am (again I rolled over and half slept through all my UPSs beeping for about 30 minutes), I had breakfast and lunch and then we got another rolling blackout around 3pm (by then it was about 20 degrees outside).

I've been waiting to get Tesla solar PV + Powerwall for a long time. I thought I wanted it for random storm outages that last 3 minutes. Little did I know I'd be wanting it for rolling blackouts that happen multiple times a day leaving me without power for more than an hour (never more than 40 minutes in a chunk, but between 1 and 2 hours so far today in total blackouts).

View attachment 888669

Let me tell you, if Tesla can expand to 40+ states (at least the 40 most populated) they really do have nearly unlimited demand.

After what I saw today I'm so ready to order, if the site would take it my CC number would be in there...

even the smallest system 4.8kW and 1 powerwall would change this day dramatically. The estimator says 15 hours on one powerwall in the winter. Well I only need a couple of hours on the powerall to live through rolling blackouts.

oh and another surprise, they changed the ordering page for Solar PV again. You can now size your system in 400 Watt increments (0.4 kW) that are $804 each (pre tax credits). Mininum size 4.8 kW, max size 24 kw. So the old ~4kW buckets are gone. Build your desired spec now.

View attachment 888675
Has there actually been rolling blackouts in california lately.

Honestly we owned property on Palm Springs for 18 years and we never had a rolling black out. But were there in winter mostly. Are they common in summer?

View attachment 888669

View attachment 888675

So, far ERCOT seems to be in pretty good shape.

D9165FB9-AEE4-460D-BA2E-1AD0EBEF3734.jpeg

Has there actually been rolling blackouts in california lately.

Honestly we owned property on Palm Springs for 18 years and we never had a rolling black out. But were there in winter mostly. Are they common in summer?

The past few years PG&E have been forced to shut down power in some areas during High-wind events due to fire danger and ancient infrastructure. The outages (imo) have disproportionately affected remote/rural areas.

We had very few outages in the greater Bay Area due to demand spikes despite freakishly hot record breaking weather.

In most of the cases I can think of this year, wind was more of a factor than the heat/demand.

View attachment 888669

View attachment 888675
Rolling blackouts in NC right now...

Looks like a lot of places would benefit from stationary storage.

For instance, the NUMMI plant was purchased in 2010 by Tesla with funding support from the Administration elected in 2008.
No, while the grant was issued under the 2008 administration, the program itself was from the previous administration, and I believe the process was started well before the transition.

The past few years PG&E have been forced to shut down power in some areas during High-wind events due to fire danger and ancient infrastructure. The outages (imo) have disproportionately affected remote/rural areas.

We had very few outages in the greater Bay Area due to demand spikes despite freakishly hot record breaking weather.

In most of the cases I can think of this year, wind was more of a factor than the heat/demand.
Ah ok. We kinda get that here in BC but it’s usually after the fact. Eg, a tree blows across a power line.

But from what I am getting from you this is not a capacity thing but a pre-emptive move due to bad weather is that right?

Hi everybody. Here is the latest news:

Saz4yKj.jpg

This was as expected based on my inventory calculations. This actually happened a day before earlier reports by Reuters and Bloomberg that said the shutdown was expected between Dec 25 and Jan 1, However, I was expecting it to happen earlier because otherwise, they would have too much inventory. Here is what I wrote on Patreon on Dec 20. I thought the shutdown would start on Dec 23. It started on Dec 24. Not bad as far as estimates go because you have to spitball how much inventory is too much.

4Qm4929.png

Some people likened my estimates to art to make fun of it.

Some people kept saying things people wanted to hear:

Some people were too sure because Tesla refused something twice:

Some people decided to attack.

Yet, here we are. The production slowdown started on Dec 12. It happened based on reports that I quoted in my post on Dec 20. The production shutdown was denied by Tesla but it happened today on Dec 24.

I think 2023 will be a better year for Tesla. My delivery growth estimate is 45-50%.
Applause to you. I’m not a fan of the members who attack you or are trying to spin some narrative that you are a bear.

Unfortunately watch the same people now move the goalpost / their narrative that Tesla is probably doing some expansions and will make even more cars in January.

Ah ok. We kinda get that here in BC but it’s usually after the fact. Eg, a tree blows across a power line.

But from what I am getting from you this is not a capacity thing but a pre-emptive move due to bad weather is that right?
That is right. Pg&e had faulty equipment causing billions in fire damages and many fatalities. So in an effort to reduce liability they began preemptively shutting down known risky equipment in advance of major wind events that correlated to red flag (high fire danger) events.

My understanding is that thanks to some modernization of equipment and massive rate hikes they’ve made quite a bit of progress. *edit: record high profits along with record high rates 🤷‍♂️

They’ve had a horrible public image for a couple years; but us rate payers are fortunate to also be paying for a massive misinformation campaign targeted at convincing us all that PG&E are the real hero’s and Californias solution (when they’re actually the problem) after spending the past 20 years paying dividends to investors while their failing infrastructure continued to deteriorate.

Sorry for the rant. TLDR: PG&E bad, make fire.

Last edited:
Has there actually been rolling blackouts in California lately.

I didn't say lately. I've been alive more than a year and I was drawing from memory.

As someone that lives in the US, when we see rolling blackouts on the news it's usually in California.

Reactions: UncaNed

They should have a bunch soon when everyone turns off their solar together to protest the new solar rates they passed with the corrupt PUC. I wonder if they realize the solar owners hold them hostage now.

Further context, it wasn't just TN, NC, and VA. Oh and they want me to know it's not called a rolling blackout when they say it.

We have ended "planned intermittent interruptions", also known as rolling blackouts. We appreciate your patience as we worked with our 153 local power companies and industrial customers to manage record-setting power demand.

We recognize that these "planned temporary disruptions" are a challenge, but it was needed to maintain grid stability for 10 million people across seven states. Thank you for doing your part, conserving energy, and helping us manage this extreme weather event.

1671929443556.png

1671929411842.png

I’m super impressed with how easy it was to set up Apple Music with the new update. Car displays QR code, scan with camera, enter apple password and car is signed in. This is super bullish for me, especially after reading a lot of FUD about Tesla not having a software advantage, etc. I think Tesla’s software lead is actually increasing. A nice surprise after last week.

View attachment 888640
I think that’s an Apple feature rather than Tesla. I just used the same method to sign into Apple TV on a new Amazon Fire stick.

Still terrific!