Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally disagree - Sasha's video explain why:
A request for those that post videos.. Posting a gist or a summary would go a long way. You have already gone through the trouble of listening and understanding the message, so if you share the gist that will save a lot of us those precious 15 minutes sitting in front of the video..

This is what I understood:

- Inflation is up
- Employments numbers are not coming down
- Discretionary spending has come down
- Commodities, energy prices are trending down
- Interest rates are high
* BUT wages have been trending up.

That last point on wages is the key difference between historical past scenarios where wages were stagnant when inflation ran amuck. So he says things are in balance and the possibility of runaway inflation or the danger of stagflation is very low.. That is what I understood.

Last edited:
OK smartypants, do you care to tell us what the actual discount rate of TSLA was in the middle of 2019, assuming a price of $223.50 June 30, 2019 (split adjusted $14.90) and we assume the current price of $190 is a reasonable valuation.
I am not sure what you are asking. Is there even such a thing as the "actual discount rate"? Does it not depend on many factors?

Most people seem to use risk free return + a term for risk, in 2019 people were using 9% to 12%, recently I've seen 12% to 14% used by different people for discount rates. The term for risk is to some extent subjective.

So in 2019 the TSLA was priced with the expectation that now it would be 223.5 * 1.09^3 to 223.5 * 1.12^3. Obviously the share price now did not meet that expectation, that is perfectly normal because the future contains many unknowns.

Because it sounds like you are assuming the market price must be reasonable now when you judge $1000 in $2030 to be unrealistic. It sounds like you are saying that would imply an unrealistic discount rate.

No, all I am saying is that there is a disconnect between the valuations on TMC and what the market indicates, or that discount rates are assumed to be very high.

I am not saying that any of these are right or wrong. They are all justifyable with reasonable sets of assumptions.

The entire reason to invest in growth for the long-term is the observation that fast-growing companies are under-valued relative to their future earnings potential. Maybe I'm missing your point, but it sure does seem like you're giving the market more credit than it deserves in terms of being able to accurately value high growth companies. You are talking like a value investor that doesn't believe exceptional performance should be expected from exceptional companies.
If markets are efficient then share price would reflect NPV of future earnings, growth companies would be fairly valued and reflect their future earnings potential.

Neither analyst nor TMC estimates for 2030 have changed much in the last year, but the share price changed by a factor of 4. Massive changes in implied discount rates.

For Tesla, there are multiple scenarios: speed of vehicle ramp, percent of total market reached, total market size, competitors, gross margins, operating efficiency, FSD complete, FSD take rate, robotaxi, robotaxi competitors, energy, real world AI, Optimus (when, how successful), new products, geopolitical issues, and many, many more. If you could estimate their probabilities and joint probabilities then you could create a monte-carlo simulation to get a Probability Density Function (PDF) of the company financials in 2030 (and future prospects), then do NPV calulations using a range of discount rates (to reflect the possible future risk free returns). This would give a PDF for the current expected TSLA price.

The only attempt at doing this I have seen is from ARK Invest, they did not do a particularly good job in my opinion, but I applaud the attempt. We get something like the same thing by aggregating the analyst (and others) share price targets, however there are unknown biases in this and most do not seem to even consider FSD, Robotaxi and Optimus, many do not even take energy into account. Even if FSD, Robotaxi and Optimus are considered low probability futures, their enormous upsides mean they could contribute a lot to the expected NPV.

A monte-carlo simulation is a lot of work, and results are probably highly dependent on subjective factors.

A simpler technique is to model TSLA as a 50% growth stock, this is basically company guidance, past growth is more like 60%. Then model the products as overlapping S curves. So vechicles is about 4-5 more years of 50% growth, energy is another 18 months, FSD (no Robotaxi) is another year, Robotaxi is 3 more years, and Optimus is 1-5 years. After these S curves growth will inevitably slow.

So we have:

Probabilitynumber of yearsfactorproduct
very high4 - 55.1 - 7.6cars
very high5.5 - 6.59.3 - 13.9cars + energy
high6.5 - 7.513.3 - 21.9cars + energy + FSD
medium9.5 - 10.547.1 - 70.6cars + energy + FSD + Robotaxi
low10.5 - 15.570.6 - 536.3cars + energy + FSD + Robotaxi + Optimus

The factor is used to multiply 2022 income ( $14.1B ) to get income at those years. Lower gross margins are somewhat offset by increased operating efficiency. Then divide by the expected number of shares (after further dilution), multiply by the low growth rate P/E multiple, then discount back to today.

The high probability cars+energy+FSD gives an expected share price now in the $350 - $550 range, and a low probability (Optimus) expected price up to $5,000. Using this very rough estimate TSLA is about 2x undervalued and may with low probability be up to 25x undervalued.

Unknown unknowns increase the range further. The current share price is at or just below the minimum expected share price according to this analysis, there is very little downside, but considerable upside. If Tesla continue executing as well as they have been this is a real chance that they will make a sucess or FSD, Robotaxi and Optimus. As time goes by and they become more likely then the share price should rise to reflect this.

Last edited:
Well I made my contribution to Q1. Picked up our new MYLR. Yes, it's white, but the wife really wanted white! This is our second Tesla.
2E61B3E7-F048-42E3-8951-13F183C9BF38.jpeg

PS- For all the lease/buy talk, my wife has been driving her last new car for SIXTEEN years. Her new MY is well deserved. And a plug for Tower FCU (based in Maryland), who although took weeks to complete, finally came through with a 2.99% loan in this crazy economy!

Last edited:
Maybe, and as you know, Elon’s 50% projection is CAGR for cars, not share price.
Operational leverage means that Tesla's earnings is growing faster than auto deliveries. So historical deliveries CAGR is an underestimate of future earnings, which (along with market conditions) determines future share price.

Also, Rob Maurer who you don’t mention is as well informed as anyone about non-autos.
Rob's blind spot is his under-estimate of the effect of Tesla short sellers. He did an entire episode questioning whether naked short selling even occurs. Most telling, his guest was Ihor from S3, who's Tesla short interest numbers have been notoriously inaccurate: (his methodology is flawed, and he's blind to the issue)

TL;dr old-age and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm in the short term.

One of the things about how the CT is constructed is that the seating will not be much, if any, higher because there are no frame rails. (My understanding).
It appears to have a more upright seating position and definitely increased ground clearance.
Cybertruck is estimated at 75 inches in height.
X is 66 (9 inches shorter)
Y is 64 (11 shorter, nearly a foot shorter)
3 is 57 (18 shorter, foot and a half)
S is 56 (19 shorter, tad over a foot and a half)

Lol, that's literally Dr. Jeff Dahn's lab at Dalhousie. His 5-yr research contract with Tesla was renewed recently for a 2nd term.

Tesla donates $3.1M of $6M grant to Jeff Dahn's Dalhousie University battery team | Teslarati (2021-06-03)

Recent Advancements to a Million Mile Battery, Work by Dr. Jeff Dahn, Dalhousie University | (2022-02-03)
Here is Dr. Jeff Dahn’s October 4, 2022 30 minutes presentation and Q&A, “The Role of Energy Storage and EV Charging in the War on Climate Change,”

Description:
On Oct. 4, 2022, Dr. Jeff Dahn spoke to volunteers at the EAC's Energy Action Team about the role of energy storage and EV charging in the war of climate change. Dr. Dahn is a professor at the Department of Physics & Atmospheric Science and the Department of Chemistry at Dalhousie University. He is also a globally recognized pioneer in the development of the lithium-ion battery and a recent winner of the 2022 Killiam Prize. He is currently working on the million-mile battery sponsored by Tesla Motors.

While he mentioned Tesla Battery Day, he did not elaborate other than to say that it is pretty incredible how much of what was presented that day has been achieved, without listing any.

Last edited:
Well I made my contribution to Q1. Picked up our new MYLR. Yes, it's white, but the wife really wanted white! This is our second Tesla.
View attachment 903599
PS- For all the lease/buy talk, my wife has been driving her last new car for SIXTEEN years. Her new MY is well deserved. And a plug for Tower FCU (based in Maryland), who although took weeks to complete, finally came through with a 2.99% loan in this crazy economy!

View attachment 903599
Snap, also our 2nd Model Y. Took possession Feb 2nd, 2023.
4MYOHM.jpg

Why ? I've been under the impression that pack volume is a limiting factor, not weight

An increase in gravimetric energy density means more energy in the same number of same size cells. Pack volume would not change in this scenario. If Model X LR goes to a 4680 structural pack, I expect Tesla will reduce weight and reduce cell count rather than increase bty volume.

Reactions: SmokyPeat
Plus the $28 ($420 post splits) to $193 (currently) stock appreciation. That's around 50% annualized.

Now, if we could sue the SEC for triggering margin calls due to their hissy fit filing...
Worse than the filing was their settlement terms - they forced Tesla to pay a $20 Million fine while prohibiting them from making an insurance claim to pay it. This harms one and only one group: TSLA shareholders. That's the group they were supposedly "protecting," at least it's the group they are chartered to protect. In that case they genuinely were instead protecting the short sellers, a group that routinely broke securities laws by spreading (and timing) false stories intended to enrich themselves.

Worse than the filing was their settlement terms - they forced Tesla to pay a $20 Million fine while prohibiting them from making an insurance claim to pay it. This harms one and only one group: TSLA shareholders. That's the group they were supposedly "protecting," at least it's the group they are chartered to protect. In that case they genuinely were instead protecting the short sellers, a group that routinely broke securities laws by spreading (and timing) false stories intended to enrich themselves.
Spreading rumors and false information and then trading on it is the business model of short sellers, and hence protected by the SEC. /S

From a simpleton point of view to get US companies to re invest in themselves and accelerate growth, including manufacturing and jobs, instead of the US govt printing money, the SEC should be focused on facts and perfect information that the market can trade on. So that investors can be confident in their trades and support of companies.

On the other hand they'll pan it for lack of range and especially when towing. If I were Tesla and had the choice there is no question I'd release the longest range first.
Hopefully they will do that, they will release the highest trim that makes the most profit first anyways so hopefully it'll coincide with having the most range as well.

But, But everyone said it was an uphill battle. Sure to lose.

Elon Musk trial: Prospective jurors call him narcissistic, smart

Even Elon claimed that he could never get a fair trial in California. The result sure proves that idea false.

An increase in gravimetric energy density means more energy in the same number of same size cells. Pack volume would not change in this scenario. If Model X LR goes to a 4680 structural pack, I expect Tesla will reduce weight and reduce cell count rather than increase bty volume.
I would also expect them to reduce cell count if/when going to a 4680 format. It's a much bigger cell, after all :) . I get your meaning, though.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
low10.5 - 15.570.6 - 536.3cars + energy + FSD + Robotaxi + Optimus

I disagree with your ordering of new products, and timelines. Are you aware that McDonald's pays $22/hr to flip burgers in California? Then there's also sick time, and high turnover.

I'd say Optimus as a product is more likely to arrive before Robotaxi, not after 2030.5 as you suggest. Unlike FSD, the NHTSA has no say in delaying when Optimus goes to work.

Long before that, possibly within 2 years, Optimus will be working on the factory line in Tesla's Gigafactories, reducing the COGS of existing products. This means a gross margin increase for all existing products.

If you equalize the down payments it looks like this.

View attachment 903103
Still not an equal comparison. Tesla's lease is 36 months, Toyota's is 39 months. It's hard to make a precise comparison because for the Toyota there are 6 additional $369 payments that you must make but you also get to use the car for 6 more months. Was there also a difference in allowed mileage?

I don't believe aggrieved speculators instigated the lawsuit, they were sniffed out by lawyers working for people who wanted to harm Tesla/Elon Musk. Of course, they are going to join the suit when told they don't have to pay for the attorneys if they lose.
Pretty sure the lawyers are all about enriching themselves rather than having a goal of harming others.

I do not recall that ever happening. References would be appreciated.

Only post on TMC that I can recall which comes close. Although it probably wasn’t “welded” rather than the car was fried to the point that the lock wouldn’t work.

It also took a lightning strike nearby to fry the Tesla.

400$? With no splits? 🤔 We’re both talking 2030, right?
Yes, 2030.

I guess one way of thinking about my calcs (combined with past share price behaviour) is that the share price in 2030 would be unlikely to be below $400 for very long*, or over $2400 for very long*, so would be more likely to be somewhere between the two for much of the time. This is of course assuming successful delivery on the vehicles, energy, and continued progress on FSD (i.e. to support high margins).

* Where "very long" might be a mispricing event that could persist for say 1-3 years.
Yeah, that seems incredibly unlikely to me. Given even a conservative execution of Tesla's plan up to 2030 on auto + energy alone, an SP of $400 in 2030 would require a PE well below 10, somewhere in the vicinity of 7-8 with even very conservative numbers. While possible, I do not see that happening, not with all the growth potential Tesla has along the way.

If Tesla is $400 in 2030 then many things went terribly wrong along the way.
The purple line is NPV-driven for $400 share price in 2030, whereas the red line is PE-driven for $2400. If you look carefully at the divergence between them what that is really telling you is that the stuff happening (or not happening) after 2030 is (or will be) critical to how the market views Tesla at that time. So if you show me how you calculate a plausible EPS stream in the period 2030-2040 then it becomes trivial to calculate the corresponding NPV-driven valuation. However the PE-driven valuation of $2400 is the market assuming no slowdown in rate of growth whatsoever.
Forecasting the future has many potential pitfalls, therefore it makes sense to minimize the errors as much as possible. It doesn't make sense to purposefully skew estimates of things like kWh capacity of a battery pack because your estimates of other things have a bias to one side or the other. Always use the best available data for each estimated input. I'm saying we know all we need to know to be able to say anything over 200 kWh is just fantasy.

My entire point was using the highest of the capacity figures "in general circulation" is problematic because those figures are purposefully exaggerated to the upside, in order to make the actual figures, when they are announced, disappointing.

The more I see how you construct your arguments, the more distrustful I become of your perspectives. I remember in 2018-2019 this forum was full of people with similar arguments to tamp down expectations that TSLA and Tesla would or could perform exceptionally. These people always present their perspectives as being more reasonable and rational, but they don't seem that way to me. And they can prevent people from capitalizing on such exceptional performance, if and when it happens.

I could never have retired so young if I did not believe that some companies would outperform in a big way. Because it's impossible to identify those companies if you don't believe that kind of outperformance is possible over long, multi-year periods. This should be common sense.
You are aiming at the wrong issue. The way my model works it makes very little difference whether I dial in a 2.5kWh battery for a Cybertruck at launch, or 250kWh. In calculating the EPS stream the model just wants to know the sales volume, COGS, and price. My keeping tabs on the battery size is what allows me to cross check other stuff of interest. However I do acknowledge that I've used the battery size to get an insight into likely production ramp volumes. Anyway when Tesla start shipping the Cybertruck we can take a look at actual battery size, again for interest.

If you want to put your model on the table then it will be interesting to have a look at it. Personally I've always been pretty straightforward about how I look at this and what the results are, irrespective ofwhether they appear good, bad, or indifferent - and Ishow my workings. Interestingly I see this has led to both of us making our TSLA acquisitions in much the same time frame, i.e. late 2018 through to mid 2020. We both recognised the risk-reward window being very interestingly positioned in that period, and therefore significant undervaluation, so a t some level both our models at that time led to similar conclusions, so perhaps both our models are equally good.

Common sense is to realise that reversion to the mean is a very strong characteristic in human history; and so too are limits to growth. In the case of Tesla that is very important as the likely TSLA share price is highly sensitive to when the market thinks Tesla will come off-growth. Personally I'd rather figure that moment out in advance and try to reduce my exposure before everyone else does the same, ideally timing for some moment of irrational exuberance before the off-growth realisation comes. When that moment might be is not something I can yet discern, but at least I can try. (Well I can dream of trying).

The only attempt at doing this I have seen is from ARK Invest, they did not do a particularly good job in my opinion, but I applaud the attempt. .....A monte-carlo simulation is a lot of work, and results are probably highly dependent on subjective factors.
The high probability cars+energy+FSD gives an expected share price now in the $350 - $550 range, and a low probability (Optimus) expected price up to $5,000. Using this very rough estimate TSLA is about 2x undervalued and may with low probability be up to 25x undervalued.

I built Monte Carlo valuation models at my day job in the past, and fully agree that they are very dependent upon the inputs. Like you I think the best we've seen for Tesla is the ARK one. Model maintenance and auditability is always a nightmare, especially when modelling human-related stuff as opposed to physical systems, and maintaining Monte Carlo models is a non-trivial effort. But you know this.

Everyone likes to look at the upside cases and that is what your 2x and 25x undervalued comes from (which I like and agree with). We should also pay attention to the downside cases. For 2023 Tesla's own guidance is for deceleration to 37% production growth and there is also the possibility of further decreasing auto gross margins given the trend over the last four quarters and the price cuts. I'd like to hope that is only a temporary reduction in rate of growth and of margin, but in the downside case these things might persist. Just a simple scenario analysis makes it a struggle to achieve the 2030 targets in a high-value manner if these issues do persist, i.e. Tesla might be overvalued now (though I hope not and think not, as I think TSLA is at fair value now).

Irrespective we all need to continue to be vigilant in looking at all the available data as it becomes observable to us. (Again you know this.)