Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Partially watched, some points so far.

John & Michael get it, others heads-in-sand.

Effects on suppliers of move to vertical integration, go EV early/late/hopeful denial, lower ICE volume (below point of profitability for suppliers especially), need to increase piece-prices when production is smaller, China coming, EV adoption rates, concern from diesel industry of effects on economics of diesel if petrol (gasoline) sales also fall, as it will make diesel uneconomic (paraphrased).

My view is this supports my existing opinion that when the tipping point of ICE to EV occurs, it will be quick - as even existing ICE vehicles are disposed of before the end of their expected working life due to a wide set of economic drivers (parts, fuel, infrastructure, OEMs/makers viability) plus general disgust at pollution when ICE are a minority (eg Norway cities now).

Wow, interesting. They seem to have a grasp on the severity and speed of the EV migration (laggers aside). It explains Ford (Doug's) move to bring the hardware and software in-house. Tiers for Fears.

Jim Farley: "In 2024, Ford customers will have access to Tesla Superchargers... a huge move for our customers... later (Tesla's) NACS interface will be added to our next generation vehicles."

Live on Twitter spaces now.

Edit 1: Elon: "A Ford driver will be able to use a Tesla SuperCharger using the Ford app."

Edit 2: Lots of love being shared between Elon and Jim. This is a huge cross-roads IMHO, and probably the relationship Diess was working towards. What will VW do now??

Last edited:
Jim Farley: "In 2024, Ford customers will have access to Tesla Superchargers... a huge move for our customers... later (Tesla's) NACS interface will be added to our next generation vehicles."

Elon: "A Ford driver will be able to use a Tesla SuperCharger using the Ford app."
Hmm, only 51 people listening?? But we know them:
  • Sawyer
  • Gary Black
  • Rob Mauer
  • Larry Goldberg
  • greg
  • Whole Mars Catalog
  • Walter Isaacson (writing the latest Elon bio)
  • Dan Ives
  • Munro Live
  • Gordon Johnson (!?!)
  • Farzad (Elon gave him the first question)
  • Me :)

I have mixed feelings about this whole open Supercharger thing. It's a huge moat. Tesla should charge more for it for non-Tesla drivers. I get the mission and all, but Tesla should be handsomely rewarded for what it's built.
That's what they're doing though. Non-Tesla EV's pay a higher rate or they have to pay a monthly (or is it yearly fee) to get the same rate as Tesla owners.

Its very likely that the "Ford Pass" has a fee to Tesla hidden into it's monthly cost.

It's also very important to get buy in from legacy auto to use Tesla's NACP interface which Tesla can then essentially bully other auto makers to use their interface and the Supercharger network and once the majority of legacy auto is on Tesla's Supercharger network, Tesla can up the fee's for usage.

This is a important first step to Tesla becoming the default "Gas Station provider in North America"

Last edited:
I wonder what the payment structure for this is. In the past Elon has said anyone is welcome on the network as long as they contribute to the buildout and maintenance of the network relative to how much they use it. With nothing yet stated about Ford contributing to the buildout, I suspect Tesla intends to make a profit selling the electricity.

Elon offered to help Ford with over the air updates.
Musk has in the past been very cordial and friendly to competitors, particularly those who treat Tesla and Musk with respect. Remember when Diess invited Musk to speak to VW managers?

Ford is quickly becoming the legacy auto company most likely to survive the next 20 years.

I wonder what the payment structure for this is. In the past Elon has said anyone is welcome on the network as long as they contribute to the buildout and maintenance of the network relative to how much they use it. With nothing yet stated about Ford contributing to the buildout, I suspect Tesla intends to make a profit selling the electricity.
Tesla charges more for non-Tesla customers or the same if they pay a membership.

I have mixed feelings about this whole open Supercharger thing. It's a huge moat. Tesla should charge more for it for non-Tesla drivers. I get the mission and all, but Tesla should be handsomely rewarded for what it's built.

Its okay. Tesla will keep building more if there is a problem nobody else will. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, they'll build more irregardlessly. :cool: (used made up word to make Dodger crazy)

Superchargers can become just another profit center as the NACS is adopted by others.

Agree that Tesla should get compensated somehow, but in the meantime, putting Tesla-style charge handles in Fords really tips the (Betamax-VHS) balance towards these becoming a de-facto US standard..