Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know of an ecosystem map of companies/startups that are focused on building sustainability in the home as a market?

Curious. I'm going through a remodel and reading a lot about sustainability and trying to pick/choose products that lean towards being eco-friendly for the most part. The only non-ecofriendly product I got was a Carrier HVAC w/ gas furnace and looking to replace with a Tesla heat pump in the future.

For example: flooring, tiles, furniture, vanities, cabinetry, doors, blinds/shutters, windows, roof, water piping, etc. outside of the known hvac, solar, water heater, electrical panel, wall charger, etc.

Reactions: UncaNed
Anyone know of an ecosystem map of companies/startups that are focused on building sustainability in the home as a market?

Curious. I'm going through a remodel and reading a lot about sustainability and trying to pick/choose products that lean towards being eco-friendly for the most part. The only non-ecofriendly product I got was a Carrier HVAC w/ gas furnace and looking to replace with a Tesla heat pump in the future.

For example: flooring, tiles, furniture, vanities, cabinetry, doors, blinds/shutters, windows, roof, water piping, etc. outside of the known hvac, solar, water heater, electrical panel, wall charger, etc.
OT
@betstarship
you are literally missing the collective knowledge of a lot of folks but there may be folks near you. also the PHIUS conference

One of my favorite bits of trivia:

Contrary to popular belief, Nixon was not in front of his helicopter when he uttered his famous phrase, "I am not a crook". And it wasn't even something he planned to say. It was in response to a reporter's question.

But the fun tidbit is the following. The place where he told us he was not a crook was, of all places, Walt Disney World. The press conference was held in the Contemporary Resort, the one that the monorail goes through.

Needless to say, it's not a piece of history that the Walt Disney Company brags about being a part of.

There were many different pics with this quote that turned up in a search. This one just looked the best, as I was only emphasizing the quoted post.

Thanks for the background on where Tricky uttered it!

Reactions: Usain
OT
@betstarship
you are literally missing the collective knowledge of a lot of folks but there may be folks near you. also the PHIUS conference

I'm not so sure, this is the best I could find for what I'm looking for but its dated...all the way from 2015 and doesn't have an eco-friendly tint.

1696794163370.png

Source: Home Is Where The Startups Are: 84 Companies That Will Transform Your Domestic Life

After absorbing myself into this the past year+ and not knowing much about the creation of physical goods for most of my life, it's been eye-opening to think about the creation of physical goods (and have a deeper appreciation for what Tesla and SpaceX are doing among other companies led by Elon)...especially when its for the home. For a sustainable future, I'm hoping new processes are created to improve products/services for the home and it's more marketed.

Thanks for the hat tip on Phius, looks cool.

I'm not so sure, this is the best I could find for what I'm looking for but its dated...all the way from 2015 and doesn't have an eco-friendly tint.

View attachment 980675

Source: Home Is Where The Startups Are: 84 Companies That Will Transform Your Domestic Life

After absorbing myself into this the past year+ and not knowing much about the creation of physical goods for most of my life, it's been eye-opening to think about the creation of physical goods (and have a deeper appreciation for what Tesla and SpaceX are doing among other companies led by Elon)...especially when its for the home. For a sustainable future, I'm hoping new processes are created to improve products/services for the home and it's more marketed.

I'm looking at this chart, and with the exception of Houzz, I'm not using any of these. Most I've never even heard of.

Reactions: betstarship
I'm looking at this chart, and with the exception of Houzz, I'm not using any of these. Most I've never even heard of.

It's what I'm trying to say and ask the forum members here. Namely - I'm doing several google image searches and can find nothing on this in the past year(s). I just sold a home earlier this year with a heat pump and wall charger and those were big deals in the purchase (seriously - solar was the other but I didn't invest in it before I sold the home). With a follow-up with my real estate agent, there's barely anyone homes sold with either of those. I think there's a missing gap here in regards to having more of an ecosystem, or one that's not super obvious, for people to purchase physical goods for the home that's eco-friendly outside of anything electrical.

After my experiences building up my own home, I bet there's some real non-eco-friendly manufacturing and delivery processes in the creation of things for the home too that could surface real potential for reducing carbon emissions while spurring on better products/services.

...but that might be a naive view. I don't know, its why I'm asking here.

It's what I'm trying to say and ask the forum members here. Namely - I'm doing several google image searches and can find nothing on this in the past year(s). I just sold a home earlier this year with a heat pump and wall charger and those were big deals in the purchase (seriously - solar was the other but I didn't invest in it before I sold the home). With a follow-up with my real estate agent, there's barely anyone homes sold with either of those. I think there's a missing gap here in regards to having more of an ecosystem, or one that's not super obvious, for people to purchase physical goods for the home that's eco-friendly outside of anything electrical.

After my experiences building up my own home, I bet there's some real non-eco-friendly manufacturing and delivery processes in the creation of things for the home too that could surface real potential for reducing carbon emissions while spurring on better products/services.

No doubt, but in an industry that mostly relies on low paid unskilled labour, it takes a lot of effort (and cost) to change. I'm pretty sure I doubled the cost to dump gas and get all the eco-friendly items--right down to a heat pump dryer. Unfortunately no solar yet. Come on $TSLA.

No doubt, but in an industry that mostly relies on low paid unskilled labour, it takes a lot of effort (and cost) to change. I'm pretty sure I doubled the cost to dump gas and get all the eco-friendly items--right down to a heat pump dryer. Unfortunately no solar yet. Come on $TSLA.

I hear ya - though, I post in this thread because its:

TSLA and "the investment world"

When it comes to startup investing (which I stick to mental health only), usually venture capital is a leading indicator for where the public market is going to be in 3-5 years time too. So, hence, it's important to know what's happening now in early and medium stage startup investing as all of these startups are on their way, hopefully, towards the public markets in the future (and a consistently health public market).

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and jerry33
Some ancillary links between private and public markets:

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and 2daMoon
Some ancillary links between private and public markets:

No surprise here. Most public companies are concerned with stock market value ($TSLA is not one of them). Private companies are concerned with at least medium turn and mostly long term company health. This makes a big difference in how companies are managed.

View attachment 980675

<blush> forgot to include link and ot comment "Solar home tour" of volunteers who show off what works etc

Make no mistake, while US customers might consider this the cheapest time to buy a Model 3 or Model Y, it's not the lowest price Tesla has received for them.

Model Y
01/07/21$41,990
02/16/21$41,990
02/17/21$39,990
02/20/21$39,990
10/02/23$43,990

Model 3
02/28/19$35,000
03/20/19$35,000
03/21/19$35,000
04/10/19$35,000
10/05/23$38,990
10/13/23$38,990

1c16df8cf3d40d48f2d4bb55fbc5ff2aca0b7d0078525dbf2542fd4b09e44997.png

e7639c4c0d44ffdacf4c0ba7ac0a897fd43b619f6fb6824bd35f9fa79adde0ee.png

not quite what you’re looking for, but your area would have a company doing natural building that will build you an actually eco friendly house that’s durable and healthy to live in.

Reactions: wtlloyd
Make no mistake, while US customers might consider this the cheapest time to buy a Model 3 or Model Y, it's not the lowest price Tesla has received for them.

Model Y
01/07/21$41,990
02/16/21$41,990
02/17/21$39,990
02/20/21$39,990
10/02/23$43,990

Model 3
02/28/19$35,000
03/20/19$35,000
03/21/19$35,000
04/10/19$35,000
10/05/23$38,990
10/13/23$38,990

1c16df8cf3d40d48f2d4bb55fbc5ff2aca0b7d0078525dbf2542fd4b09e44997.png

e7639c4c0d44ffdacf4c0ba7ac0a897fd43b619f6fb6824bd35f9fa79adde0ee.png
35K from 2019 ain't the same as 35K from end of 2023.

35K from 2019 ain't the same as 35K from end of 2023.
While that is true most people making the comparison are doing so with the $7500 credit in the math. Which makes no difference to the income statement.

So yes inflation is part of the story, but no the current one isn't coming off the books minus that $7500 everyone is crowing about.

Even in this thread a few days ago someone had the "insert term here" to suggest that the current prices were cheaper than they had ever been. I'm saying in literal interpretation that is not true. None of the people that said that discussed inflation, I felt they were just talking raw pricing. Even if they were implying "inflation adjusted" they didn't say that and someone other than me might have misinterpreted them.

Also if you want to talk inflation, take a look at the graph, it was 35K all through 2020 (until Nov 15 2020) so it's not just 2019 vs 2023, it's also Nov 15 2020 vs Oct 05 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisStockGood