Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla website Charging page redesign, future SC site location map gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I looked but cannot find a thread about this, which surprised me. It applies to S and X but I will just post in this subforum.

I don't know when this change occurred but I think it was less than two weeks ago. The Tesla website page at Charging | Tesla has been completely redesigned. In general I like the changes, however the biggest change is that the maps showing the approximate locations of current Superchargers and the planned new Superchargers over the next year are gone.

Of course that does not mean that Tesla will not be adding more Superchargers in the future. Obviously Tesla will continue to build out the network. I suspect that Tesla decided it wasn't worth it to show a map of future planned locations because in the real world plans change for a variety of reasons and they didn't want to deal with people being disappointed when a projected location either got moved or did not happen in the planned timeframe. Now that the Supercharger network is fairly extensive in most (but not all) of the regions where Tesla sells a lot of cars, the small maps they were showing had become extremely dense with dots and were hard to read. The redesigned "Charging" page simply links to the existing "Find Us" page to show people where existing Superchargers are located. But we no longer have any clues as to where and when future Superchargers will appear.

Let the complaining begin... ;-)

I am clicking on the "Charging" link in the top nav bar at tesla.com. Charging | Tesla

That used to go directly to a page that showed the two maps I referred to. Instead it goes to a completely new page.

And...now I see that on that completely new page there is also a new submenu of a type I have not seen before at tesla.com, sorry I missed that this morning.

On the right side the new submenu shows: Overview At Home Supercharger Destination Charging

I see that the "Supercharger" link in the new submenu goes to a page that looks very much like what the previous Charging page looked like. So the maps are still available. My apologies.

The new Destination Charging page has a map of the Destination chargers. Nice.

Reactions: brkaus
The Supercharger map now shows where they expect to open new Supercharger locations:
Find Us | Tesla
Superchargers.png

:D

Last edited:
Unlike previous maps that showed future supercharger locations, you can now zoom in. However, the future dots always just point to where the city name appears on the map. Still, with the previous map it could be difficult to see even what city they were planning to put it in.

Reactions: Ulmo
Tesla, always selling today's product on the basis of what they might have next year. I'll believe it when I see the corresponding blue and orange markers at supercharge.info. AP2.0 h/w in 09/16, AP 2.0 functionality reaches AP 1.0 in 04/17. Tesla is becoming less and less tethered to reality.

This is reality.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 12.49.29 PM.png

Reactions: GreenT
I noticed that in at least two cases (St. George UT and Flagstaff AZ) the map shows a future site but in fact there are ALREADY supercharger in those cities. WTF?
I don't see why Tesla could not build another Supercharger location in the same area. Perhaps the existing location cannot be expanded due to power supply constraints.

The St. George Supercharger has been partially full both times I've been there. The new Supercharger map is looking ahead to the Model 3 era...

But it is confusing because those locations, and some others in California (like Manteca and Gilroy) are in the gray "Coming Soon" color when in fact they already exist.
And sometimes it's just crazy. The existing Supercharger at the Qualcom building just north of San Diego is now completely missing from the Find Us map, but there are three grey dots for coming soon locations around the city.

And sometimes it's just crazy. The existing Supercharger at the Qualcom building just north of San Diego is now completely missing from the Find Us map, but there are three grey dots for coming soon locations around the city.
For locations that are adding more stalls, they appear to have removed the existing location and then the new "Coming Soon" location is located by the city name. Another example is Lone Tree, Colorado, where the location at Park Meadows is no longer listed. The upgraded location will still be there (in a different part of the parking lot) but the Coming Soon pin shows a point centered above the town name of Lone Tree on the map.

Hopefully they'll be able to clean up the display and show the brand new locations on a town basis but put the pins back for upgraded locations and indicate new stalls will be added there.