Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive review: BMW i4-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the i4-40 at BMW Mountain View yesterday. Here is my review:

What I liked:

1. drives well, despite its 4600 odd pounds curb weight.
2. suspension is nicely damped. Soaks up the potholes and bumps well, while allowing sporty handling. IOW, ride and handling balance is quite good.
3. handling is pretty decent for its curb weight - not as good as my 3, obviously, but much better than my S, which is what I should compare it to.
4. good enough torque. I am not the one for straight line acceleration, and the 5.x seconds 0-60 is plenty for me, same as my S and 3.
5. Interior materials are good quality, but there is a bit of hard plastic to be found (door pockets).
6. Touch screen is responsive and snappy.
7. head up display is quite good.
8. NVH seems to be well controlled. Better than either of my Teslas, both of which have been modified with a lot of sound deadening added by me.(I am very picky about NVH in premium cars)

What I did not like:

1. interior space is a bit tighter than my 3. This is bad packaging. The car is heavier than my S, (which is 4460 lbs), but interior space is smaller.
2. no frunk.
3. trunk space is okay, but the middle part of the trunk is narrower than my 3.
4. The ’driveline tunnel’ eats into front leg space, and the rear leg space, thanks to the ICE 4 series platform. Really did not like this aspect.
5. Bad door closing sound - sales guy said this is due to the frameless windows. Very un-BMW.

Overall, the bad interior packaging, making for tight cabin space is what kills this car for me. For the curb weight of 4600+ lbs, I expect it to be big inside, as it is outside. My comment to the salesman was to use a dedicated EV platform to maximize the interior space.

Other than that, not too many bad things to say. I need to test drive the MBZ EQE to make up my mind as to which car will replace my S : Porsche Taycan RWD, MBZ EQE RWD, or this one. I don’t much like AWD for a sporty sedan, and also the added weight penalty of the AWD.

I did one of their test drive events; both i4 models. I agree with all of these comments ^^^. Also, it was a bit off-putting to have to order the M50 to get driving assistance features.

Oddly enough, I liked the acceleration sound effects!

I did one of their test drive events; both i4 models. I agree with all of these comments ^^^. Also, it was a bit off-putting to have to order the M50 to get driving assistance features.

Oddly enough, I liked the acceleration sound effects!
I’ve never liked those sounds, in the Taycan. I didn’t bother with the sounds in this one. 🙂

Germans have got the ‘car’ part right. Good build quality, nice ride and handling. Bad interior and exterior packaging, and somewhat unreliable charging network dampen my enthusiasm.

@_Redshift_ Thanks for the detailed i4 review!

Have you been in a Taycan yet? If you're evaluating it as a sedan, the packaging is terrible. Think of it as a 4 door coupe or big 4 door sports car and it makes a more sense. The Taycan "Turbo" (lol) I sat in felt special and very Porsche - far moreso than the mediocre Macan that we were actually there to test - but a Taycan wouldn't be at all practical as a Model S replacement for us.

I haven't been in a Cross Turismo though. Porsche says it has better ground clearance (without listing any absolute numbers 🤔), and the roofline looks like it might make for a more adult-friendly back seat. I'm pretty sure even the Cross Turismo will fall way short of Model S packaging but the driving experience could make up for that.

I think the Model 3, if upgraded with a truly good suspension, is difficult to beat for handling among EVs right now. All the other sporty ones are significantly heavier, and in most cases have other issues too. I can easily believe the Taycan handles much better than its weight suggests, but I'm still doubtful it would be quite as fun on a twisty road as a well-sorted Model 3. (I only got to sit in that Taycan, the Porsche dealer rep just laughed when I asked if I could test one.)

@_Redshift_ Thanks for the detailed i4 review!

Have you been in a Taycan yet? If you're evaluating it as a sedan, the packaging is terrible. Think of it as a 4 door coupe or big 4 door sports car and it makes a more sense. The Taycan "Turbo" (lol) I sat in felt special and very Porsche - far moreso than the mediocre Macan that we were actually there to test - but a Taycan wouldn't be at all practical as a Model S replacement for us.

I haven't been in a Cross Turismo though. Porsche says it has better ground clearance (without listing any absolute numbers 🤔), and the roofline looks like it might make for a more adult-friendly back seat. I'm pretty sure even the Cross Turismo will fall way short of Model S packaging but the driving experience could make up for that.

I think the Model 3, if upgraded with a truly good suspension, is difficult to beat for handling among EVs right now. All the other sporty ones are significantly heavier, and in most cases have other issues too. I can easily believe the Taycan handles much better than its weight suggests, but I'm still doubtful it would be quite as fun on a twisty road as a well-sorted Model 3. (I only got to sit in that Taycan, the Porsche dealer rep just laughed when I asked if I could test one.)

I’ve test driven the Taycan Turbo S. Interior packaging is as bad as the i4. Handling is very taut, but it feels a bit artificially leveled, kinda like a CGI Leia Organa. 😌 I need to test drive the RWD Taycan one of these days. That’s where the Porsche competency will be showcased. Non-air, traditional suspension setup.

Steering in the Taycan is as numb as in the i4, and my Model S. And as numb as in (sad, isn’t it) Alpha Romeo Giulia!

The touch screen lag is _major_ in the Taycan.

EDIT: After driving the i4, I drove my Model 3 back home and was so happy. The 3800lbs curb weight, the quick steering ratio, and the non-air suspension transmitting some road feedback to me, though not directly by the steering itself.

I have always said the Model 3 is a fun car to drive. The suspension is a bit too busy and harsh at times, but the handling is good. You cannot compare the i4 to the Model 3, though.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
My i4 is exactly what I wanted my Model 3 RWD to be - a hatchback with better suspension and less road noise. The superior audio (yes.. better than Teslas) was a nice surprise. Yes the weight and the lose nose are two negatives but after the speeding tickets I've gotten (on my Mach-E GTPE) I'm happier with a "slower" car.

It's nice to have many interior color choices. I loved the white interior of Teslas and love most non-black interior colors of the i4.

Photo Aug 31, 4 37 08 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 30, 6 01 54 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I've had it two weeks and I don't know why anybody would buy a Model 3 except they absolutely need Superchargers and want a much firmer/sportier ride.

This car is nearly as efficient as a 2022 3 RWD and definitely more efficient than a Y (duh). I'm getting 229 Wh/mile driving 65-ish on the highway (my latest journey was 37 miles at that efficiency). For reference I had 200-220 Wh/mile with my 3 RWD and 280Wh/mile with my 2022 Y - both lifetime numbers and both mostly driven on highways.

The i4 is much quieter, has vastly better suspension, better audio. The price difference is maybe $5K for maybe 0.5-0.8 seconds of quicker acceleration if you compare LR vs. eDrive40. The 3 is a better track car for sure but for a daily... I'd pick the i4 100% of the time.

It's not a replacement for a Y even though it has a hatchback end.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari and tm1v2
I've had it two weeks and I don't know why anybody would buy a Model 3 except they absolutely need Superchargers and want a much firmer/sportier ride.

This car is nearly as efficient as a 2022 3 RWD and definitely more efficient than a Y (duh). I'm getting 229 Wh/mile driving 65-ish on the highway (my latest journey was 37 miles at that efficiency). For reference I had 200-220 Wh/mile with my 3 RWD and 280Wh/mile with my 2022 Y - both lifetime numbers and both mostly driven on highways.

The i4 is much quieter, has vastly better suspension, better audio. The price difference is maybe $5K for maybe 0.5-0.8 seconds of quicker acceleration if you compare LR vs. eDrive40. The 3 is a better track car for sure but for a daily... I'd pick the i4 100% of the time.

It's not a replacement for a Y even though it has a hatchback end.
Not that it matters much but the long range Model 3 has a very different audio system than the RWD model.

Beautiful car!

I recently looked at the i4 and it seemed like a fine car but it was kind of cramped inside and the styling was not to my taste.

I was surprised how reasonable the MSRP was but the usual dealer shenanigans were in play with a claimed $10,000 market adjustment. Who knows how flexible that was (South Bay BMW) but it left a bad taste in my mouth. A friend of mine liked the car quite a lot.

It’s not though. They’re similar but the 3LR is better than the Y with tighter bass and better separation. I think they’re the exact same components but the Y has more interior volume and that booming hatch area.
I'll vouch for this. I didn't like the audio in the MYLR we tested when my wife cranked up the volume. I couldn't put my finger on why but something about it didn't sound good to me. No such issue with M3LR/M3P. Still not the very best among EV's we cross-shopped last year but it's good and very enjoyable to me, and better than the H-K system in the Polestar 2 which sounded rather "small" even when cranked up loud. Best we tested then was the Mach-E B&O system though.

I'm sure not all brand "X" car stereos are equal. Sounds like (pun intended :)) the i4 H-K system might be better than the P2 one.

Reactions: voxel
I recently looked at the i4 and it seemed like a fine car but it was kind of cramped inside and the styling was not to my taste.

I was surprised how reasonable the MSRP was but the usual dealer shenanigans were in play with a claimed $10,000 market adjustment. Who knows how flexible that was (South Bay BMW) but it left a bad taste in my mouth. A friend of mine liked the car quite a lot.

BMW dealers in Florida have been awesome. Almost all at MSRP for every car. The complete opposite of how Kia and Hyundai dealers are here with their $10K or $20K markups.

I'll vouch for this. I didn't like the audio in the MYLR we tested when my wife cranked up the volume. I couldn't put my finger on why but something about it didn't sound good to me. No such issue with M3LR/M3P. Still not the very best among EV's we cross-shopped last year but it's good and very enjoyable to me, and better than the H-K system in the Polestar 2 which sounded rather "small" even when cranked up loud. Best we tested then was the Mach-E B&O system though.

I'm sure not all brand "X" car stereos are equal. Sounds like (pun intended :)) the i4 H-K system might be better than the P2 one.

I test drove the P2 a day after buying the i4 and I concur about the HK stereo in the P2. It's noticeably worse than the i4 version (I had my i4 parked 40 feet away so I had a direct comparison). I hoping for more but it basically was in line with the Mach-E system which is a tad below the Model Y audio (which is a good audio system but not "premium" premium - it can sounds great but also hollow).

Still loved how the P2 + Performance + Pilot + Plus packages drove. Would not buy it for $72K (loaded) without the tax incentive. Used ones were $59K also.

The BMW iX with B&W system is considered one of the best audio systems with subwoofers underneath each seat. I still can't get over the wacky controls though.

I test drove the P2 a day after buying the i4 and I concur about the HK stereo in the P2. It's noticeably worse than the i4 version (I had my i4 parked 40 feet away so I had a direct comparison). I hoping for more but it basically was in line with the Mach-E system which is a tad below the Model Y audio (which is a good audio system but not "premium" premium - it can sounds great but also hollow).
@voxel Was your Mach-E audio system the base one, not the Bang & Olufsen?

Still loved how the P2 + Performance + Pilot + Plus packages drove.
Yes! P2 is a very nice driving car. Less overtly sporty than the Model 3 but very well sorted, much better suspension with the factory Öhlins DFV. (I never tested the P2 non-performance suspension, not sure how it compares.) P2P Öhlins DFV is what inspired me to put Öhlins DFV on our M3P, and it's why my wife approved, the difference was really obvious to her too.

On paper / from reviews it seems like P2 and i4 are the closest competition for eachother, with the P2 Performance having the edge for handling, and the i4 having the edge for refinement. For sure Model 3 is direct competition too, but P2 and i4 seem far more alike eachother. I still want to test the i4 to confirm those impressions though, it wasn't out yet when we were shopping.

Would not buy it for $72K (loaded) without the tax incentive.
Dang that's more expensive than I remember. Yeah that's too pricey. I remember the pricing was competitive with the Model 3 only after applying the tax credit to the P2, like Polestar had priced in the tax credit to their advantage. Can't blame them for it I guess. But now the P2 no longer qualifies right? If that's correct they'll need to adjust their pricing.

Reactions: pipestem
Ha, anyone who’s owned an e46 coupe knows that doors with frameless windows can still give you that very German bank vault closing sound.
I have owned an e46 sedan, (a sport pack equipped small, nimble but super fun 325i) not the coupe.

Thanks for this piece of info. I am a little surprised why BMW didn’t put more effort into the door closing sound. They are usually pretty good about these sorts of things.

@voxel Was your Mach-E audio system the base one, not the Bang & Olufsen?

Yes! P2 is a very nice driving car. Less overtly sporty than the Model 3 but very well sorted, much better suspension with the factory Öhlins DFV. (I never tested the P2 non-performance suspension, not sure how it compares.) P2P Öhlins DFV is what inspired me to put Öhlins DFV on our M3P, and it's why my wife approved, the difference was really obvious to her too.

On paper / from reviews it seems like P2 and i4 are the closest competition for eachother, with the P2 Performance having the edge for handling, and the i4 having the edge for refinement. For sure Model 3 is direct competition too, but P2 and i4 seem far more alike eachother. I still want to test the i4 to confirm those impressions though, it wasn't out yet when we were shopping.

Dang that's more expensive than I remember. Yeah that's too pricey. I remember the pricing was competitive with the Model 3 only after applying the tax credit to the P2, like Polestar had priced in the tax credit to their advantage. Can't blame them for it I guess. But now the P2 no longer qualifies right? If that's correct they'll need to adjust their pricing.
All three my Mach-Es (Premium RWD SR, Premium AWD ER, GTPE) had B&O. It's a decent sound system but I owned a Model Y at the same time and could compare them side by side. The Tesla was crisper at all frequencies. The Mach-E had some muddled mid-frequencies (still overall excellent)... it was obvious the Y audio system was better but now that I have an i4 with HK... that is obviously superior to both.

Ok, maybe not $72K... but very close with all packages:

(and no more tax credit)

1663440903886.png
1663440873654.png

All three my Mach-Es (Premium RWD SR, Premium AWD ER, GTPE) had B&O. It's a decent sound system but I owned a Model Y at the same time and could compare them side by side. The Tesla was crisper at all frequencies. The Mach-E had some muddled mid-frequencies (still overall excellent)... it was obvious the Y audio system was better but now that I have an i4 with HK... that is obviously superior to both.

Ok, maybe not $72K... but very close with all packages:

(and no more tax credit)

View attachment 853682View attachment 853681
@voxel You've priced the Polestar 2 with $4000 of leather. Tesla doesn't even offer leather on the 3 or Y currently. Without the leather that P2 would be $66,400 vs $64,440 to buy an M3P right now (with destination and order fees).

M3P is still quicker I suspect even after the P2P power boost for 2023, but the P2P comes with Öhlins DFV and forged wheels, vs cheap crappy suspension and fragile cast wheels on the M3P. P2 has the hatch which is great, but M3P has better range, efficiency, and charging.

To me the loaded P2 with all 3 packs looks competitively priced without any tax credits/rebates involved. 🤷‍♂️ Between them I'd pick based on which I like more, not the minimal price difference.

@voxel You've priced the Polestar 2 with $4000 of leather. Tesla doesn't even offer leather on the 3 or Y currently. Without the leather that P2 would be $66,400 vs $64,440 to buy an M3P right now (with destination and order fees).

M3P is still quicker I suspect even after the P2P power boost for 2023, but the P2P comes with Öhlins DFV and forged wheels, vs cheap crappy suspension and fragile cast wheels on the M3P. P2 has the hatch which is great, but M3P has better range, efficiency, and charging.

To me the loaded P2 with all 3 packs looks competitively priced without any tax credits/rebates involved. 🤷‍♂️ Between them I'd pick based on which I like more, not the minimal price difference.

I picked leather because I thought that was the only way to NOT get the cloth seats but I am wrong. The Plus package includes some vegan/vinyl seats. $66K+ is still pretty high. Especially for a low range sub-premium car.

I was surprised Brandon Flasch sold his P2 so quickly (but for a Rivian though).

His comments about the crashing software I heard about but didn't realize it was so common and basically as bad as the ID.4 system. Still... the handling, acceleration/regen, suspension are top-notch and maybe top of the class. The rest of the car... meh. Audio and interior are sub-par. Efficiency/range are poor. The exterior is generic. And the color choices are bland. Folks are emotional when buying cars... I see this all of the time on forums. Looks > practicality. Polestar 2 has almost no visual appeal... which is usually bottom of my feature list but it is TOO bland.

Personally... I think the M3P is too quick. If I bought one, it would primarily for track days.