Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

This Flash Drive Corrupted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the below Endurance card for the Dashcam (replaced a normal flash drive that had been working fine). Today, I noticed that the Dashcam icon was missing. I took the drive in to my computer, and the TeslaCam folder was gone, and I couldn't create a new one.

I assume it got corrupted. Correct?

Should I try again or send it back?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HGF6D63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 11.22.51 AM.jpg

reformat and try again, unless you have the ability to do media verification tests.

if you have a linux system, you can enable 'read checking' and it will format the device AND do a read verify to make sure each block can be read (called a 'badblocks' phase).

that will show if your media is bad.

you may want to try it on another computer and with a different usb/sdcard adapter. the adapters are not high quality, overall, and they do fail from time to time.

I’d recommend getting a Samsung T5 SSD so you never have issues again. They are a bit pricey but have the read/write speeds and write cycles to support the system very well.

samsung is not really a trustable brand (some say that samsung intentionally makes products that last 'warranty and a day' (period). I half believe that, too. they make crap products and they are well behind sandisk in terms of reliability.

ymmv, but I don't use samsung if I can avoid it. too many problems with that brand, over the years.

samsung is not really a trustable brand (some say that samsung intentionally makes products that last 'warranty and a day' (period). I half believe that, too. they make crap products and they are well behind sandisk in terms of reliability.

ymmv, but I don't use samsung if I can avoid it. too many problems with that brand, over the years.
I’ve been using my Samsung T5 for 2 years now with intense reads and writes and never had an issue. That said, I also have a Sandisk Extreme USB-c SSD and it’s a stellar drive but too large for stashing away in a Jeda hub. The Samsung SSD is perfect size and small.

FYI there are a lot of counterfeit SD cards on Amazon, especially Sandisk and Sony branded media to name just a few. I'm using the same Sandisk Endurance microSD card bought from BH Photo and a Kingston metal SD+micoSD card reader with no issues. The Samsung T5 is also a good choice just more $$.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
without looking at tesla's code (which I don't have access to, lol) - its hard to say what the 'red all seeing eye' icon really means.

my guess is that they buffer the video where the LVD signal is being received and those video frames are 'synced' to a storage device as a separate thread or process. the red icon could mean that its receiving video and trying to send to the target usb device. its also my understanding that dashcam video can be sent directly to tesla, so that means its saved in a different location than the usb user drive.

without specs or source code access, we can't know for sure, though.

Until I get some kind of replacement, I put this USB back in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9V72H4

Is that very likely to get corrupted soon? And if so, will I lose the data that's been recorded on it?
Not sure what kind of computer you use, but if you can format the drive with EXT4 instead of FAT32 you will have journaling enabled which helps prevent drive corruption. Mac’s and Linux can format and use EXT4 and the Tesla supports this.

Also, I noted that the Sentry mode was recording, as seen below. That surprised me, since if the disk was bad, then nothing should have been recording, yes?

The red eye means Sentry Mode is on. It does not indicate whether it is recording or not. You can unplug the USB and you will still see the Red Eye. You can have Sentry Mode on without camera recording. It will still sound the alarm if someone break your glass. It will be just like a AP 2.0 car's Sentry Mode.

My understanding is that unless the word "endurance" appears somewhere, corruption is likely. Correct?

Also, it seems that no thumb drives are endurance (only SD cards + readers).

there are nearly no thumbdrives that are 'enterprise quality'.

again, sd-card can be purchased that is true industrial quality. can't get any better than that, really.

endurance is still just BS consumer crap. its either true industrial or its not (my view, fwiw).

I won't waste time on 'endurance' media. might as well just get the best you can and not wonder what the vendor is really doing (if anything).

My understanding is that unless the word "endurance" appears somewhere, corruption is likely. Correct?

Nope.

There's 2 most-relevant factors for your dashcam storage.

Speed, and endurance.

Speed is how fast the drive can write. Since there's only 4 720p cameras at 30ish fps, the system is only writing 2 MB/sec.

Pretty much anything of large enough size will be MANY times faster than that. So this isn't much of an issue unless you get a counterfeit or defective part to begin with.

Endurance is how many times you can write to the drive.

Even cheap/crap stuff is generally rated for 1000 cycles (meaning, very generally, you can write the entire size of the drive- once).

"good" consumer stuff is gonna be like 3000 cycles...

"endurance" consumer stuff is gonna be like 5000-10,000 cycles.

For most folks who are running dashcam a max of 8-10 hours a day on average Endurance is a waste of money unless they plan to keep dashcam footage for decades

Even "good" stuff is gonna get you 10-15 years of use...and even cheap stuff 3-5 years...assuming you go with something in the 128GB-256GB range for size.

And unless you bought like a 16GB storage device endurance won't ever have anything to do with it failing in days or weeks. That's simply defective hardware.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
I do know that the industrial sd-cards I've been referring to have a much larger 'spare list' internally and they do the best wear-leveling you can hope for.

they have a crapload of vendor extensions (which will go unused); but its the wear leveling, sustained high write speed before 'busy' (if the host dumps a lot all at once, like during a close() call) and its extended temperature operating range is what sold me.

ideally, you want to monitor the health of the card and if it runs low on the 'free list' (spare sectors, so to speak) then the card is nearing its end of life. its not easy to do without signing an nda with sandisk (I did not, likely never will).

if you do go the sata SSD route, you can't get access to SMART (health) data over usb but if you remove the usb bridge and go direct sata (in your pc) you can do a smart scan and get some health data on the media/controller.