Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This must be the silliest reason to sell a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She tells me that this hockey parent was also looking to switch from a Maserati but after extensive research found that the Tesla causes testicular cancer as well as Leukemia.

Am I the only person here wondering why your wife is worried about testicular cancer? :p

Anyway, I am sure the research for this came from the same bucket of turds that revealed 5G will turn your kidneys inside out, Front-Line will turn your dog into a turnip and the measles vaccines instantly kills children and is part of a vast conspiracy to cull hippy communes.

My friend actually bought a Maserati a few years back. He had a deep and meaningful relationship with his garage over the next few months and spent nearly £30k in repairs. He has a Porsche now.

Repairing your Italian car is all part of the romance though! You haven't lived unless you've had to jump start your Alfa Romeo one cold February Monday morning when you absolutely could not be late for work...

Taking your post literally, I would agree that this is perhaps the silliest reason to sell a Tesla. I had a concern about electromagnetic radiation, but as others have posted there is so many other methods of radiation all around us. Natural UV, gamma, long and short wave radio, cellular bandwidth, power lines, radon, etc. I'm pretty sure BEV is a lot better for my health than my TDI and Duramax.

I've wondered about this myself... I wouldn't be surprised if there's a large amount of electromagnetic radiation coming off the motors themselves... much more so than the other examples (eg. home appliances, cell phones, etc) people are throwing out here. Your fridge, coffeemaker, etc isn't running on 400V and up to 1000's of amps when pushed hard. You also aren't sitting INSIDE those devices for hours at a time (in my case) each day...

Having said that, I think the bigger risk is being able to exit the vehicle quickly after a bad accident. The windows are very tiny on the MS and if the doors are damaged to the point where jaws of life are needed you better get the HELL out of the car as quickly as you can. Runaway thermal reaction and 100's of 18650's below your feet can result in you getting an early (and free) cremation

This is by far my biggest concern. The cell chemistry Tesla chose to go with was a trade-off... mass availability (and lower cost/more storage density) balanced with safety/stability of the cells. These little suckers are highly volatile once they decide to give up the ghost and IMO this is Tesla's Achilles heel until they find a safer battery chemistry that can produce similar performance characteristics at the same price points as today's.

Yes, gas cars catch on fire too... but 18650's explode and catch on fire in a very different way.. Many first responder-types are still getting used to the procedures/protocols they'll need in place to handle EV car fires. Not only do these things catch on fire easily, but they'll re-ignite after being put out too. Hopefully well after you're out of the car :-o

In a nutshell, I frequently remind my wife that if we ever get in a bad accident get out of the car as quickly as possible... especially if you hear hissing or smell anything funny... and stand way back after you get out

All it takes is one cell (and there are hundreds) that decides to go thermal and it could take the whole pack with it. Tesla has put safeguards in place (fusing, etc) to hopefully reduce this but it can still happen.

Having said all that I do think the MSM is now starting to attack Tesla seemingly out of nowhere. It seemed to start right around the time Elon had that back and forth exchange with the cave diver guy... Makes me wonder if Elon struck a nerve with the cabal.. but I digress, the one thing about a Tesla fire is it's like fireworks and very dramatic... and we know the clowns in the MSM LOVE DRAMA much more than FACTS

Last edited:
Send her this link to The Oatmeal's wonderful treatise on owning a Model S, which includes this apt and very accurate description of the fact that in an ICE there are small explosions going on very close to you, whereas this doesn't happen in an EV:

A friend of mine and fellow Model S owner recently had solar panels installed on his house...what I find insanely wonderful about this is that technically my friend is now driving a car which is powered by the motherfreakin' sun. I love this idea. In a traditional gasoline automobile there's a combustive explosion happening in the engine block, which is located roughly 36 inches from my crotch. In my friends's case, this explosion is happening on the surface of the sun, which is located approximately 92 million miles from my crotch...I'm just happy to put some distance between my privates and a searing ball of fire.

I mean, if she is worried about testicular effects and believes Maserati-driving-hockey-parent, surely she'll believe a published cartoonist. :D

• Love
Reactions: jlv1 and hcdavis3
Hockey parent...Maserati? There’s something really wrong with this picture. Also tell her to get rid of her cell phone. It been proven 100% to cause brain cancer.

No problem. Wait til she takes the kids somewhere and put a for sale sign on the house, borrow the largest tent and all the camping gear you can find, and have it in the living room. When she comes in shocked that the house is for sale, make sure you are carrying in some lanterns and ice chests, tell her that you heard the electricity in the walls also causes cancer and that you are ALL going to live in a tent in the woods. Having a port a potty would also be a nice touch, and explain that she won't be able to shower, but that you ordered 20,000 handy wipes, so it will be ok. Tell her you found an empty lot in the woods with no powerlines for miles, and the closest Starbucks in 50 miles away. That should it.

Last edited: