Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of Use Supercharging Rates in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 9.10.06 AM.png

I am looking around the bay and it looks the same. Populated areas have split rates of $0.24 off peak and $0.48 peak. Rural places like Fremont, Martínez, and Vallejo have one rate although it can be very different, those three at $0.24, $0.37, and $0.47 respectively.

Roseville and Gilroy were the cheap ways out of town but Roseville is up 8 cents at $0.28 all day and Gilroy all the way up to $0.37 all day from sixteen cents off peak a while back.

At least the rich folks in Menlo Park and Coupertino still only pay twenty-four cents all day. I guess that’s where Tesla R&D charge their cars.

EDIT: Oh, I see, it's the HOURS that changed. So I guess it used to be 10-7 were the peak daytime hours, now it's 11-9. Odd, the peak solar generation hours (11-2pm) is part of the peak rate hours.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Odd, the peak solar generation hours (11-2pm) is part of the peak rate hours.
I suspect Tesla “peak” times may not necessarily be grid usage peak times but rather peak charging times. Case in point being that weekends also see time of use rates for Tesla supercharging where as utility rates don’t count weekends for time of use.

It just so happens that a lot of their peak charging times also overlap with peak grid usage times in this case. Probably a coincidence or a little bit of both.

I am looking around the bay and it looks the same. Populated areas have split rates of $0.24 off peak and $0.48 peak. Rural places like Fremont, Martínez, and Vallejo have one rate although it can be very different, those three at $0.24, $0.37, and $0.47 respectively.

Roseville and Gilroy were the cheap ways out of town but Roseville is up 8 cents at $0.28 all day and Gilroy all the way up to $0.37 all day from sixteen cents off peak a while back.

At least the rich folks in Menlo Park and Coupertino still only pay twenty-four cents all day. I guess that’s where Tesla R&D charge their cars.

EDIT: Oh, I see, it's the HOURS that changed. So I guess it used to be 10-7 were the peak daytime hours, now it's 11-9. Odd, the peak solar generation hours (11-2pm) is part of the peak rate hours.
Menlo Park and Cupertino and not really wealthy by Bay Area standards... try nearby Los Alos Hills and Atherton. ;)

I suspect Tesla “peak” times may not necessarily be grid usage peak times but rather peak charging times. Case in point being that weekends also see time of use rates for Tesla supercharging where as utility rates don’t count weekends for time of use.

It just so happens that a lot of their peak charging times also overlap with peak grid usage times in this case. Probably a coincidence or a little bit of both.
Both are factors, but the key cost driver for Tesla are the commercial demand charges.

Reactions: Anothergeek
Case in point being that weekends also see time of use rates for Tesla supercharging where as utility rates don’t count weekends for time of use.
TOU rates are definitely in effect on weekends, though they are often different than weekdays.

SDG&E for example has 3-tiers - Super-Off-Peak, Off-Peak and On-Peak

Weekdays:
On-Peak - 4 PM - 9 PM
Off-Peak - 6 AM - 4 PM, 9 PM - 12 AM
Super-Off-Peak - 12 AM - 6 AM

Weekends & Holidays
On-Peak - 4 PM - 9 PM
Off-Peak - 2 PM - 4 PM, 9 PM - 12 AM
Super-Off-Peak - 12 AM - 2 PM

In March and April, there's a special schedule on weekdays due to the amount of solar on the grid and cool temperatures:
March/April Weekdays:
On-Peak - 4 PM - 9 PM
Off-Peak - 6 AM - 10 AM, 2 PM - 4 PM, 9 PM - 12 AM
Super-Off-Peak - 12 AM - 6 AM, 10 AM - 2 PM

TOU rates are definitely in effect on weekends, though they are often different than weekdays.

SDG&E for example has 3-tiers - Super-Off-Peak, Off-Peak and On-Peak

Weekdays:
On-Peak - 4 PM - 9 PM
Off-Peak - 6 AM - 4 PM, 9 PM - 12 AM
Super-Off-Peak - 12 AM - 6 AM

Weekends & Holidays
On-Peak - 4 PM - 9 PM
Off-Peak - 2 PM - 4 PM, 9 PM - 12 AM
Super-Off-Peak - 12 AM - 2 PM

In March and April, there's a special schedule on weekdays due to the amount of solar on the grid and cool temperatures:
March/April Weekdays:
On-Peak - 4 PM - 9 PM
Off-Peak - 6 AM - 10 AM, 2 PM - 4 PM, 9 PM - 12 AM
Super-Off-Peak - 12 AM - 6 AM, 10 AM - 2 PM
You’re definitely right it’s not universal. I was just thinking PG&E time of use rates and some of the public utilities TOU rates where weekends are off peak all day.

You’re definitely right it’s not universal. I was just thinking PG&E time of use rates and some of the public utilities TOU rates where weekends are off peak all day.
PG&E's TOU rates for businesses have peak rates from 4 PM - 9 PM every day, just like SDG&E.

Additional details reported by Electrek.

This week, Tesla announced an important change to its off-peak hours in California, its biggest market:
Starting April 12, 2022, off-peak hours will change at California Supercharger locations. Charge for less at select Superchargers before 11 AM and after 9 PM. Tap the Supercharger map pin in your in-car touchscreen to view specific rates and eligible sites. Navigate to your destination using Trip Planner and your battery will automatically precondition before you arrive.
The company basically moved the window two hours later in the day as it used to start at 7 p.m. Rates are different depending on the station, but they can often charge around $0.48 per kWh during peak hours versus $0.24 during off-peak hours. The new hours will encourage people who can charge later to wait and free up some traffic at the Supercharger stations during busier hours. It will also bring Tesla additional revenue, which it can use to increase Supercharger capacity where needed. California is Tesla’s biggest market, and while it’s also where the Supercharger network is most extensive, owners are still often experiencing wait times at stations due to high traffic.

I’m trying to figure out the rationale for the most recent price changes but I’m not sure I can figure out any pattern. So it looks like the majority of the non TOU stations outside of the Bay Area, SD, and the larger LA/OC markets have mostly gone up by varying amounts. At first I thought now it was according to local electricity prices because a few SMUD powered stations were a bit lower than surrounding PGE powered stations but considering the place with the lowest rates in CA (Patterson) is the highest priced station in CA (45 cents/kWh all day) then it’s definitely not that.

They did get rid of pretty much all of the old TOU rate station pricing outside of the urban areas and their corresponding cheaper prices such as Manteca 1, Antioch, Vacaville, and Tejón Ranch. Now they just have high all day pricing in the range of 38 or more cents/kWh.

FWIW, the TOU stations remain at 24/48 cents for now.

I’m trying to figure out the rationale for the most recent price changes but I’m not sure I can figure out any pattern. So it looks like the majority of the non TOU stations outside of the Bay Area, SD, and the larger LA/OC markets have mostly gone up by varying amounts. At first I thought now it was according to local electricity prices because a few SMUD powered stations were a bit lower than surrounding PGE powered stations but considering the place with the lowest rates in CA (Patterson) is the highest priced station in CA (45 cents/kWh all day) then it’s definitely not that.

They did get rid of pretty much all of the old TOU rate station pricing outside of the urban areas and their corresponding cheaper prices such as Manteca 1, Antioch, Vacaville, and Tejón Ranch. Now they just have high all day pricing in the range of 38 or more cents/kWh.

Paid 0.48 or so in Fort Bragg 2 weeks ago. It did not seem to matter whether it was early AM or late evening. I thought it was expensive until I noticed the almost $6 gas prices. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Anothergeek
Paid 0.48 or so in Fort Bragg 2 weeks ago. It did not seem to matter whether it was early AM or late evening. I thought it was expensive until I noticed the almost $6 gas prices. :eek:
With the revised prices from yesterday Fort Bragg shows 38 cents/kWh. Upon doing a little more research I see Santa Ysabel supercharger is actually the highest in CA for the non TOU superchargers: 47 cents/kWh all day.

Since what Tesla charges is far more than their cost, and rightly so, their price changes can be all sorts of things. They may want to encourage charging at one location, while discouraging it at another (for example). Or change their profit margins differently in different locations.

Where I live (Colorado) our off-peak cost is $.07/hr.

Peak is $.235 (about 3.5x as much).

So of course, we try to use our needed electricity at off-peak times….

Reactions: 1100MCM
Since what Tesla charges is far more than their cost, and rightly so, their price changes can be all sorts of things. They may want to encourage charging at one location, while discouraging it at another (for example). Or change their profit margins differently in different locations.
I wish it was easier to see current pricing without having to look in the car.

Without being able to see pricing easily from a website or mobile app, it's impossible for these pricing changes to have any significant affect on usage except for locals who repeatedly use the same Superchargers.

Reactions: Willis

Where I live (Colorado) our off-peak cost is $.07/hr.

Peak is $.235 (about 3.5x as much).

So of course, we try to use our needed electricity at off-peak times….
Are those the commercial power rates? I believe that is what Tesla is charged

Reactions: FlatSix911