Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Fat for Tesla? (Model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm likely larger than you, and have been in and out of the Tesla service center many times, including about stuff that I broke because of my size/weight, which they fixed (multiple times) as goodwill.

Never heard a peep out of them.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
Was this, like, a prank call?

Sorry, that just sounds ludicrous - not in a good way. It wasn't an actual Tesla representative saying this, I hope?
This was from the SC service manager, who told me that the reason why me seat in my Model X rocked was that because I was too heavy for the seat. She kept telling me that their engineering team asked her about my size and she was uncomfortable asking (but asked me indirectly if I was over a certain weight limit).

I'm in complete shock here. They're offering to replace the seat once again, but I simply can't believe this...

• Helpful
Reactions: Chickenlittle
I sincerely doubt that any person is too heavy to break a seat during normal driving (or else they wouldn't be able to fit through the door...of the car or their house). Car seats have to be designed with astronomical tolerances so that they don't fail during an impact (weight of the occupant times several orders of magnitude for g-forces). Given Tesla's crash safety ratings, I doubt that they have substandard tolerances on their seats. This sounds like another of the Model X production issues.

I'm curious too ... I remember reading somewhere that the max total weight was like 2k lbs and i remember thinking that can't be right 6 people at 200 lbs each plus luggage would exceed that pretty quickly

• Love
Reactions: Jsilva
This was from the SC service manager, who told me that the reason why me seat in my Model X rocked was that because I was too heavy for the seat. She kept telling me that their engineering team asked her about my size and she was uncomfortable asking (but asked me indirectly if I was over a certain weight limit).

I'm in complete shock here. They're offering to replace the seat once again, but I simply can't believe this...
I would like to see that explanation on the service receipt or invoice.

They won't tell you something they aren't willing to write down.