Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Mechanic Reviews the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla spends more on R&D than any other car maker:

According to the article Tesla spends nearly $3K per car on R&D which is nearly 3x what their competition spends. It says Tesla has been investing more than 2x what Ford and GM combined have been investing.

The improvements to the Model Y over the last two years have been stunning:
  • Larger main battery
  • Li-ion low voltage battery
  • Bioweapon defense mode
  • More comfortable suspension
  • Ryzen processor
  • Heated wipers
  • Cargo cover
  • Improved rear door emergency release
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Comfort suspension
  • Laminated double pane glass
  • 128gb USB drive now included
Many of these improvements were requested or suggested by customers. The free OTA software updates have also been amazing.

It seems to me Tesla could be the poster child for re-investing profits and improving their cars. They recently revamped the X and S. They are ramping up two more gigafactories, ramping up 4680 production, doing a revamp of the Model 3, and switching to gigacasting which Sandy Munro gushes over.
Saving this post as it's almost impossible to find a short & simple explanation of what features have changed on the Model Y in the past few years.

Visually 2020 and 2023 look practically identical. Including the paint choices & wheels. So it makes it much hard to just look at a Model Y and determine when it was built.. and what features may have been upgraded on it, without getting a screenshot from the car's touchscreen.

Reactions: WyoDude
He has been on video before and discussed EVs. He doesn't seem as knowledgeable on EV as you might think. For example is comments in infrastructure are not backed up with any factual info. Another example where he is clearly ignorant is running out of gas. You have the car towed. Aside from when I was 20 years old and driving when I shouldn't have been I have never run out of gas. The time I did they towed me to the gas station.

He appears to be to be biased against EV. No other reason why he would come up with such silly arguments against EV. That video was less than a year ago.

He was on YAA YouTube Channel (Now CarEdge). He is a knowledgeable guy but I'm not a fan. EV Talk starts at 17:18

Last edited:
I watch most of his videos and he is a straight up mechanic and knows his sht. Not doubt about him being a Toyota/Lexus fanboy but I don't blame him, they are great cars. I agree with some of the cons he said but it was just too exaggerated and some are subjective. My only gripe with tesla is the interior could use more premium materials, some areas just feel and looks like an basic entry level economy car.
It's not a luxury car

Reactions: eleison
It was often said that the Germans build good cars, while the Japanese build cars good. Most of the criticism of Tesla is about superficial build quality, not the revolutionary design. Except for one design failure -- the abysmal suspension, which no doubt will be rectified when the Model Y is redesigned, the Model Y is in a different class than any Toyota. Many German car owners put up with repeated, expensive trips to the dealer as parts constantly fail, while Tesla owners only have to put up with panel gaps and substandard paint to get a superior product.

The list of Model Y improvements from 2020 to 2023 shows that not much has changed. The only improvement that would interest me is the double-glazed side window glass. Reviews of the "comfort suspension" suggest that it doesn't make much difference, at least on a MYLR with 19" wheels.

I really like that guy's videos and besides my Model Y I have a 2021 4Runner which is why I found his videos in the first place. For the most part I like his take on the Model Y, but my 2022 Model Y does not have the build quality issues he talks about. No rattles after almost 6 months and the interior door handles do not squeak. I did have an issue with a body panel not lining up when new, but Tesla fixed that. He also writes off the acceleration as a battery killer, but it comes in very handy in daily driving and has never caused me any battery issues because I use the car around town so am not approaching range limits. Of all the reviews he has done, this one is probably his worst as I felt he based his conclusions on one vehicle.

I generally like this reviewer, but as noted by others I take his views on EVs with a grain of salt. As someone who has owned five Toyotas, the case for “legendary Toyota reliability” is somewhat overblown. In many ways the biggest proponents of this narrative are the mechanics who make their living on keeping high mileage Toyotas on the road. It is true that many Toyotas will run for a long time, but not without a significant input of repair and maintenance. And Toyota has had its fair share of duds - just recall the catastrophic frame rust issues on Tacomas and easily blown head gaskets on V6s for a decade.

The real question is whether anyone really still wants to own the type of Toyota this reviewer likes so much. The Lexus GX, which this reviewer just bought for himself, is one of the most fuel inefficient cars on the road. While interior “build quality” is somewhat subjective, we can agree that the GX is assembled with switchgear and parts that are now 25+ years old. If anything looks “cheap” it’s fake gloss wood dash trim used in these trucks. The rear gate on the GX opens on the wrong side for a left hand drive because Toyota didn’t bother to update the Prado when it brought it to the US. They may be useful for the small minority of people who actually need this type of vehicle but they are heavy, slow and burn through brakes and suspension parts when used in urban settings, as this reviewer himself says he plans to use it. And seems a bit of hypocrisy for someone who makes such a big deal of the look of the model Y, to drive a GX which has one of the most polarizing front grill designs in automotive history. Not even Toyota fans like it and there is a whole industry of changing it.

As someone who likes Toyota, I think the company has lost its way. Toyota now makes 4 of the 15 most fuel inefficient cars sold in the US. They haven’t made a legit reliable small truck in over a decade - which is what made them famous in the first place and what earned them their reliability record. Their current large truck and SUV business is just a way to improve profit margins, and the spin on reliability of these things is just that. A distraction from the fact these are decades old designs that cost a small fortune to own and maintain.

The Toyotas with low cost of ownership and maintenance are generally those with limited features and small four cylinder engines. Toyota’s supremacy in making a good four cylinder is why they are so committed to selling one in every hybrid. There will probably always be a place for this type of vehicle.

I generally like this reviewer, but as noted by others I take his views on EVs with a grain of salt. As someone who has owned five Toyotas, the case for “legendary Toyota reliability” is somewhat overblown. In many ways the biggest proponents of this narrative are the mechanics who make their living on keeping high mileage Toyotas on the road. It is true that many Toyotas will run for a long time, but not without a significant input of repair and maintenance. And Toyota has had its fair share of duds - just recall the catastrophic frame rust issues on Tacomas and easily blown head gaskets on V6s for a decade.

The real question is whether anyone really still wants to own the type of Toyota this reviewer likes so much. The Lexus GX, which this reviewer just bought for himself, is one of the most fuel inefficient cars on the road. While interior “build quality” is somewhat subjective, we can agree that the GX is assembled with switchgear and parts that are now 25+ years old. If anything looks “cheap” it’s fake gloss wood dash trim used in these trucks. The rear gate on the GX opens on the wrong side for a left hand drive because Toyota didn’t bother to update the Prado when it brought it to the US. They may be useful for the small minority of people who actually need this type of vehicle but they are heavy, slow and burn through brakes and suspension parts when used in urban settings, as this reviewer himself says he plans to use it. And seems a bit of hypocrisy for someone who makes such a big deal of the look of the model Y, to drive a GX which has one of the most polarizing front grill designs in automotive history. Not even Toyota fans like it and there is a whole industry of changing it.

As someone who likes Toyota, I think the company has lost its way. Toyota now makes 4 of the 15 most fuel inefficient cars sold in the US. They haven’t made a legit reliable small truck in over a decade - which is what made them famous in the first place and what earned them their reliability record. Their current large truck and SUV business is just a way to improve profit margins, and the spin on reliability of these things is just that. A distraction from the fact these are decades old designs that cost a small fortune to own and maintain.

The Toyotas with low cost of ownership and maintenance are generally those with limited features and small four cylinder engines. Toyota’s supremacy in making a good four cylinder is why they are so committed to selling one in every hybrid. There will probably always be a place for this type of vehicle.
I watched parts of the video regarding the Lexus purchase for his wife. The Lexus grill is polarizing at best! The fuel efficiency is a joke. I think I can put up with a few panel gaps on my Tesla😀

I've owned pretty much every Toyota Model and couple Lexuses.
The guy had some valid points on Tesla but barely touched technology and how the car drives, criticized infotainment system on Tesla :)
Toyota technology is a joke. 22 Highlander can NOT keep you in lane, constantly looses it and screams at you Toyota infotainment will remain the same when I sell it 3-5 years later, nothing will get updated.
Yes I enjoy 360 viewing a bit better quality inside (though it has similar creaks and rattles as Tesla), but I would trade all good Toyota features just for one that Tesla has - AUTOPILOT.
Next car that has good lane assist would be Honda, I also heard Ford has a good one but didn't try it yet.
Toyota has long ways to go. All Lexuses are nice but outdated. GX 460/470 is pretty much the same as it was in 2010. So they may look nice and drive good but that is past. And Toyota "Reliability" is a separate subject.
So not really sure why he wanted to put it out there meaning his thoughts on Tesla.
Unfortunately, there is no one on the market that can match Tesla technology. May be Rivian, but not a lot of data on those yet.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
I've owned pretty much every Toyota Model and couple Lexuses.
The guy had some valid points on Tesla but barely touched technology and how the car drives, criticized infotainment system on Tesla :)
Toyota technology is a joke. 22 Highlander can NOT keep you in lane, constantly looses it and screams at you Toyota infotainment will remain the same when I sell it 3-5 years later, nothing will get updated.
Yes I enjoy 360 viewing a bit better quality inside (though it has similar creaks and rattles as Tesla), but I would trade all good Toyota features just for one that Tesla has - AUTOPILOT.
Next car that has good lane assist would be Honda, I also heard Ford has a good one but didn't try it yet.
Toyota has long ways to go. All Lexuses are nice but outdated. GX 460/470 is pretty much the same as it was in 2010. So they may look nice and drive good but that is past. And Toyota "Reliability" is a separate subject.
So not really sure why he wanted to put it out there meaning his thoughts on Tesla.
Unfortunately, there is no one on the market that can match Tesla technology. May be Rivian, but not a lot of data on those yet.
I think for a lot of Toyota truck guys, technology is viewed with suspicion at best. I’d say setting aside the software side of things, and just focusing on the car itself, Toyota’s truck business isn’t all that innovative any more. When they came out with Toyota truck and 4runner those vehicles were game changing because they were small, efficient, reliable vehicles in a world dominated by trucks that were the polar opposite. Today their mass market vehicle model y competitor is the Rav4 and I don’t know anyone who gets in one of those and thinks “oooh this feels fancy”.

Over time Toyota has chased the large truck and SUV profit margins over an innovation cliff. IMO Subaru and Honda are much more interesting and innovative in making vehicles that blend function, looks and efficiency. There is nothing magical about a body on frame v8 that weighs 5-6000 lbs. These are expensive vehicles to run and they increase in cost exponentially once they start breaking down. They will “run forever“ if you have a good mechanic and deep pockets. A lot of it is nostalgia.

This is no knock on Amd who makes some very valid points that EVs don’t yet have the track record or infrastructure to match the run foreverness of a Toyota and local mechanic. But it is unclear to me who sees themselves driving the same Toyota RAV4 15, 20 or 30 years down the road.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Rav4 Prime is on a waiting list longer than some ev's
Y is a competitor to the Lexus NX phev, not the Rav4.
build quality of both are much better than the Y. Styling, not so much.

Rav4 is one of the best selling suv's - #1 in 2022, i believe and maybe a global sales leader.

Subaru and Honda are scrambling, just like Toyota is.
Honda's first ev Prologue is going to be a rebadged GM product.
Subaru is about as dead in the water as Mazda.
Mazda's ev sold 9 units in January total.
Outback is the worst selling suv of 2022.

I think for a lot of Toyota truck guys, technology is viewed with suspicion at best. I’d say setting aside the software side of things, and just focusing on the car itself, Toyota’s truck business isn’t all that innovative any more. When they came out with Toyota truck and 4runner those vehicles were game changing because they were small, efficient, reliable vehicles in a world dominated by trucks that were the polar opposite. Today their mass market vehicle model y competitor is the Rav4 and I don’t know anyone who gets in one of those and thinks “oooh this feels fancy”.

Over time Toyota has chased the large truck and SUV profit margins over an innovation cliff. IMO Subaru and Honda are much more interesting and innovative in making vehicles that blend function, looks and efficiency. There is nothing magical about a body on frame v8 that weighs 5-6000 lbs. These are expensive vehicles to run and they increase in cost exponentially once they start breaking down. They will “run forever“ if you have a good mechanic and deep pockets. A lot of it is nostalgia.

This is no knock on Amd who makes some very valid points that EVs don’t yet have the track record or infrastructure to match the run foreverness of a Toyota and local mechanic. But it is unclear to me who sees themselves driving the same Toyota RAV4 15, 20 or 30 years down the road.
You know there was a story on MSNBC I believe. Many think Toyota is in bed with big oil. Toyota came out with some innovative cars ...they practically put hybrids on the map with the Prius. They have just stagnated and not done anything with EV even when everyone else is. They have indeed built a reputation for reliability by not innovating. They use the same power plants for as long as possible and use previous generation fuel injection tech. Anyone could do what they are doing by doing the same thing I feel.

being a Toyota tech should be much simpler because nothing really changes all that much at Toyota.

Rav4 is one of the best selling suv's - #1 in 2022, i believe and maybe a global sales leader.

Rav4 Prime is great car same as Venza.
But knowing it can't hold on between 2 lines it is a deal breaker.
For me Prime is not worth what Toyota is asking for. I know a ton of people obviously disagree with me. :D
I would rather get Honda CRV Hybrid. Nothing groundbreaking there but much better vehicle for me.
Lexus NX is just better quality build vs MY but again not that great tech wise.

Toyota is still stuck building proven vehicles that most customers want. Like 4Runner unchanged forever. Tundra was a nice V8 truck till they screw it over with V6.

I don’t think this is all correct. Responding specifically to the perspective in this video, Lexus GX, which Amd considers an exceptionally well built vehicle deserving of his cash, sells 27,000 units a year. The Outback outsells the GX by a factor of 6, and it's arguably a better vehicle in the conditions most people need an SUV in (eg snowy roads). Sure, Subaru and Honda are behind on the EV race (like everyone else) but they're also not selling 3 ton 4x4 V8s that most people just use to clog mall parking lots, with hyperbolic justifications about build quality and longevity.

Lexus NX and Rav4 are essentially the same underlying vehicle rebadged and with different trim. Fine, let's say both are "better built" than any Tesla, whatever that means. Neither is a Land Cruiser, or even a 4Runner or a Tacoma. Neither of these is built with the 25 year lifespan (mechanic not included) that the Toyota truck guys are really talking about when they talk about Toyota quality. Nobody is overlanding their prime.

Either way you slice it the RAV4 prime is a losing proposition. You can argue it is either the pinnacle of 90s era hybrid technology, or a really crappy EV that comes with a free 4 cylinder engine to help propel it along. Neither is a long term bet I would take. The reason there is a waiting list is that they only make about 30k of them a year. Not because of Toyota build quality or any of those other platitudes.

That said to each their own, If your thing is 40 mile range backed up by an excellent 4 cylinder engine, go Rav4/Nx. If you want full electric get a tesla. If you want a cool old land cruiser, sell a kidney and get an Icon.

I don’t think this is all correct. Responding specifically to the perspective in this video, Lexus GX, which Amd considers an exceptionally well built vehicle deserving of his cash, sells 27,000 units a year. The Outback outsells the GX by a factor of 6, and it's arguably a better vehicle in the conditions most people need an SUV in (eg snowy roads). Sure, Subaru and Honda are behind on the EV race (like everyone else) but they're also not selling 3 ton 4x4 V8s that most people just use to clog mall parking lots, with hyperbolic justifications about build quality and longevity.

Lexus NX and Rav4 are essentially the same underlying vehicle rebadged and with different trim. Fine, let's say both are "better built" than any Tesla, whatever that means. Neither is a Land Cruiser, or even a 4Runner or a Tacoma. Neither of these is built with the 25 year lifespan (mechanic not included) that the Toyota truck guys are really talking about when they talk about Toyota quality. Nobody is overlanding their prime.

Either way you slice it the RAV4 prime is a losing proposition. You can argue it is either the pinnacle of 90s era hybrid technology, or a really crappy EV that comes with a free 4 cylinder engine to help propel it along. Neither is a long term bet I would take. The reason there is a waiting list is that they only make about 30k of them a year. Not because of Toyota build quality or any of those other platitudes.

That said to each their own, If your thing is 40 mile range backed up by an excellent 4 cylinder engine, go Rav4/Nx. If you want full electric get a tesla. If you want a cool old land cruiser, sell a kidney and get an Icon.
Wait....I have two kidney! 😯

Reactions: spiny and WyoDude
You know there was a story on MSNBC I believe. Many think Toyota is in bed with big oil. Toyota came out with some innovative cars ...they practically put hybrids on the map with the Prius. They have just stagnated and not done anything with EV even when everyone else is. They have indeed built a reputation for reliability by not innovating. They use the same power plants for as long as possible and use previous generation fuel injection tech. Anyone could do what they are doing by doing the same thing I feel.

being a Toyota tech should be much simpler because nothing really changes all that much at Toyota.
Toyota stagnated on ev's because Aioka Toyoda believed in hybrid and hydrogen, wasting billions on it and most importantly-time.
They own patents on many hybrid technologies they license out to Ford and others.
Most consumers see them as half-steps that cost the same as a ev.
Toyoda stepped down recently because he's so out of touch. Sato (Lexus) takes over.

In the meantime, Tesla went from 22k units to 1million per year - in less than 10 yrs. Probably the fastest growth in the history of mass production cars.

By 2030-2032, predictions are the global market will be 100% EV.
Even if Toyota could match Tesla's historic growth in sales to 1 million ev's per year in 10 yrs... they would only be making 1 million cars.
Problem is, they currently make 10 million cars a year. Those factories can't just start pumping out ev's.
So, starting this year, Toyota would have to pump out 1 million ev's every year to 2032 to break even. That is not counting the cost of ev manufacturing plants, which don't exist yet. Uphill battle.

2022 global sales:
1. Toyota RAV4
, leading with 871,513 sales
2. Tesla Model Y that with 758,599 sales
The key here is that Tesla did it without marketing, the vehicle is double the price of the Rav4, and is on a radical upward sales trend.
Rav4 is on a negative sales trend.

Yes, a vehicle like the Land Cruiser is built to last 30 years +. That's the reason they are special vehicles. That's also the reason they don't sell well: The same reason Teslas do- what's underneath is what's special about both these vehicles.

Better built means just that. Construction, fit, finish, assembly, materials and details. Land Cruisers are built far better than almost anything available.
"hyperbolic justifications"... anyone can objectively look at the construction of a Land Cruiser, GX, or NX or Tesla and see all the manufacturing comparison. It's in your driveway. Tesla didn't hide it. They were smart about how they did it, but it's right there for you to see.
Tesla did things very smart, and they've come a long way very quickly and did it in the US. They are not, however, at the coachwork standard of Toyota or Lexus. But, as i've said many times, Tesla offers the best overall package.

Not sure why people get so butthurt hearing that. It's like saying "that is white paint" and then someone gets upset you called it white.

I personally don't think PHEV's work for me. Doesn't alter the point they are popular.
The reason there is a wait list for any car is production. That's why Teslas were backed up for a year.
They aren't making enough of any popular model.

That is a different argument from Toyota build quality. People do, in fact, look at Toyota's for reliability. That's not my argument, that's just part of the brand. That's because many Toyotas are on the most durable vehicle lists.

Of course to each their own. Speaking honestly about products is just that. Just because I state a fact doesn't mean i'm defending it.

• Informative
Reactions: 240vPlug
Personally, I feel Tesla reputation on build quality would be much higher if they let the factory and service center folks actually pull a car off the line when they find issues. Instead, it’s punted to delivery experience for the customer to complain.

Yes, Tesla makes some poor builds in some of their units. But Tesla also makes plenty of perfectly good vehicles.

They get too held up on trying to push as many units as possible vs. a small haircut to improve overall brand image and logistics. Imagine how much repairs would be easier if 5% of parts for new production got diverted to parts for existing cars?

I say this as a Toyota and a Tesla fan.

1999 Corolla -> 2008 Lexus IS -> 2018 Model 3
1997 4Runner -> 2006 4Runner -> 2013 Model S
2008 Lexus ES -> taking over the 2013 Model S, S swapped with 2023 Model Y.

I’d love if Toyota would put a Tesla-level effort into an EV and I wish Tesla would put Toyota build quality to the minimalist interior (the Infiniti M37 scared me away with all its buttons when I was buying the S).

My 2006 4Runner had a great physical control setup and IMO Toyota’s infotainment has gone downhill since then. Meanwhile Tesla makes some aggravating UI decisions that feel like the developer never drove a car while trying to skip ahead in a song.

Regardless of build quality though, it would be nice if Tesla would shadow-develop new features and not remove the old version until parity has already been released. I’ll see with the 2023 Y, but my 2013 S with an infrared sensor has FAR BETTER automatic wipers than the 2018 3. The 3 has far better tight parking assist with USS than the Y will have until Tesla Vision improves. I’m not ranting for Tesla to stop pushing the envelope and improving tech, but it would be nice if they didn’t take the existing working tech out until AFTER they’ve got the new system working as good as the old.

Toyota stagnated on ev's because Aioka Toyoda believed in hybrid and hydrogen, wasting billions on it and most importantly-time.
They own patents on many hybrid technologies they license out to Ford and others.
Toyoda stepped down recently because he's so out of touch. Sato (Lexus) takes over.

In the meantime, Tesla went from 22k units to 1million per year - in less than 10 yrs. Probably the fastest growth in the history of mass production cars.

Even if Toyota could match Tesla's historic growth in sales to 1 million ev's per year in 10 yrs... they would only be making 1 million cars.
Problem is, they currently make 10 million cars a year. Those factories can't just start pumping out ev's.
So, starting this year, Toyota would have to pump out 1 million ev's every year to 2032 to break even. That is not counting the cost of ev manufacturing plants, which don't exist yet. Uphill battle.

2022 global sales:
1. Toyota RAV4
The key here is that Tesla did it without marketing, the vehicle is double the price of the Rav4, and is on a radical upward sales trend.

Yes, a vehicle like the Land Cruiser is built to last 30 years +. That's the reason they are special vehicles. That's also the reason they don't sell well: The same reason Teslas do- what's underneath is what's special about both these vehicles.

Better built means just that. Construction, fit, finish, assembly, materials and details. Land Cruisers are built far better than almost anything available.
"hyperbolic justifications"... anyone can objectively look at the construction of a Land Cruiser, GX, or NX or Tesla and see all the manufacturing comparison. It's in your driveway. Tesla didn't hide it. They were smart about how they did it, but it's right there for you to see.
Tesla did things very smart, and they've come a long way very quickly and did it in the US. They are not, however, at the coachwork standard of Toyota or Lexus. But, as i've said many times, Tesla offers the best overall package.

Not sure why people get so butthurt hearing that. It's like saying "that is white paint" and then someone gets upset you called it white.

I personally don't think PHEV's work for me. Doesn't alter the point they are popular.
The reason there is a wait list for any car is production. That's why Teslas were backed up for a year.

That is a different argument from Toyota build quality. People do, in fact, look at Toyota's for reliability. That's not my argument, that's just part of the brand. That's because many Toyotas are on the most durable vehicle lists.

Of course to each their own. Speaking honestly about products is just that. Just because I state a fact doesn't mean i'm defending it.

2022 global sales:
1. Toyota RAV4

Wait, wasn’t one of your “facts“ that the Subaru outback was the worst selling SUV of 2022?

Reactions: GoVols!
Personally, I feel Tesla reputation on build quality would be much higher if they let the factory and service center folks actually pull a car off the line when they find issues. Instead, it’s punted to delivery experience for the customer to complain.

Yes, Tesla makes some poor builds in some of their units. But Tesla also makes plenty of perfectly good vehicles.

They get too held up on trying to push as many units as possible vs. a small haircut to improve overall brand image and logistics. Imagine how much repairs would be easier if 5% of parts for new production got diverted to parts for existing cars?

I say this as a Toyota and a Tesla fan.

1999 Corolla -> 2008 Lexus IS -> 2018 Model 3
1997 4Runner -> 2006 4Runner -> 2013 Model S
2008 Lexus ES -> taking over the 2013 Model S, S swapped with 2023 Model Y.

I’d love if Toyota would put a Tesla-level effort into an EV and I wish Tesla would put Toyota build quality to the minimalist interior (the Infiniti M37 scared me away with all its buttons when I was buying the S).

My 2006 4Runner had a great physical control setup and IMO Toyota’s infotainment has gone downhill since then. Meanwhile Tesla makes some aggravating UI decisions that feel like the developer never drove a car while trying to skip ahead in a song.

Regardless of build quality though, it would be nice if Tesla would shadow-develop new features and not remove the old version until parity has already been released. I’ll see with the 2023 Y, but my 2013 S with an infrared sensor has FAR BETTER automatic wipers than the 2018 3. The 3 has far better tight parking assist with USS than the Y will have until Tesla Vision improves. I’m not ranting for Tesla to stop pushing the envelope and improving tech, but it would be nice if they didn’t take the existing working tech out until AFTER they’ve got the new system working as good as the old.
Well said
If you drive the 2022-23 models of Lexus, They are beautifully made vehicles.
Fabrication, assembly, welds and construction. Upper level Lexus panel gaps are chefs kiss.

But, maybe the more fair comparison is with US made products in the same class.
Y is a global product now but really, its a Made in USA, sourced and assembled vehicle for most of us.
Y and 3 are 1 & 2 on that list, I believe.
That is meaningful in many ways, but having a USA made vehicle dominate ev sales in Germany is amazing.
If you know Germans, that says a lot. LOL

Toyota, just like most legacy makers, have terrible infotainment compared to Tesla.
Tesla owners take for granted OTA's but even companies like Ford and VW (who invested billions and focus on ev's) struggle with doing OTA's

Maybe i'm in the minority, but the UI is pretty great in the Tesla.
To me, It's a totally different mindset on how to use a car on a daily basis.
After you adjust, it's like someone Marie Kondo'd the inside and it's just mentally a great space to be in.

Maybe i'm in the minority, but the UI is pretty great in the Tesla.
To me, It's a totally different mindset on how to use a car on a daily basis.
After you adjust, it's like someone Marie Kondo'd the inside and it's just mentally a great space to be in.
It's funny that the reviewer agree with you that the Tesla UI is great but he thinks the car is a terrible place to be in.

I thought about it a little more and I do take issue with his assertion that the Model Y is "horrendous" as a car. He hammers on how cheap the materials and build quality are. While that particular car does have the squeaking interior door handles (mine doesn't), at the very least I think the materials you can touch is objectively not "worse than then cheapest Mitsubishi", as he contends. I've always found the plastics used in the MY to be of decent quality. The matte center console feels pretty solid to me and good to the touch. I believe every metal looking piece is also actually metal, unlike many other cars that use painted plastics, even some that are in the near-luxury class. No gloss black is also a plus. I really hate gloss black plastics in cars so I appreciate that Tesla got rid of that in 2021. He says that the plastic cover behind the front seats are super cheap and could break if you look at it. Really? It may not be the most luxurious thing, but at the very least it's a pretty sturdy piece (easily surviving kids feet kicking against it), so I thought that was a really stupid comment.

Anyway, it's fine that he hates the car overall. Not everyone has to like it. It's just that some of the exaggerated negative stuff is a bit much.