Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in 2016 for 2022 advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys Im highly considering trading in my 2016 90d with about 50 k miles on it for a 2022 Tesla X plaid
Im getting about 50-55k trade in estimate
Any advice? Go for it or no??

My main concern is ride comfort, and cabin noise.

my opinion: that's a good trade in price.. the new X is much better in comfort, tech, range, and build.. it is quite expensive though, so if that difference is worth 50-75k for you and you can swing it easy.. enjoy!
on the other hand, both are Tesla SUV's, you may have free premium connectivity and supercharging on your 2016, range doesn't matter too much if you have ample superchargers en route, and you could conceivably keep your old X and get a new 3 or Y for the same price.

Reactions: mohanman
A 2016 is getting quite old. Have you had any repairs done to it yet? I traded in my 2018 100D with 30k miles for the 2022. The old car was already having suspension issue beginning of the year that was covered under warranty, but then it got the same issue on the other side which happened out of warranty. Since I was trading it in I didn't do any repair and Tesla didn't care. I can't imagine your 2016 being any better.

If money is no issue, go for it. It's a much better car even compared to my 2018. Both ride comfort and noise are definitely better on the 2022.

Reactions: mohanman
Oh yes, my car has been in the service shop many many times, especially for that stupid left suspension arm issue. I think its coming back .I do have extended warranty of my car so it has two more years warranty, and I have the latest software/hardware with sentry mode. But the drive is very stiff and noisy on highway. Those are the downsides.

Oh yes, my car has been in the service shop many many times, especially for that stupid left suspension arm issue. I think its coming back .I do have extended warranty of my car so it has two more years warranty, and I have the latest software/hardware with sentry mode. But the drive is very stiff and noisy on highway. Those are the downsides.
New cars are much smoother and quieter. And many other changes: the screen controls are much responsive, horizontal center display orientation is better than vertical, heat pump works very well, .... Don't know about ride comfort in the plaid, but the LR is pretty good with the smaller wheels.

hey guys Im highly considering trading in my 2016 90d with about 50 k miles on it for a 2022 Tesla X plaid
Im getting about 50-55k trade in estimate
Any advice? Go for it or no??

My main concern is ride comfort, and cabin noise.

That's a great trade in. They're offering me low 40s :p

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 10.38.50.png

so what guys think? white ext, white interior, or silver exterior black interior?
The seats are the same right, white and black seats have same cushioning/feel?
My S was midnight silver metallic over black and I loved it. My X is white/white and I really love it too. You can’t go wrong either way, but I like the white on white.

Two downsides to the white - you’ve got to coat the interior with something or your jeans might stain it and I don’t like the wood trim on the white as much as I do the wood trim from the black.
Two positives to the white - it looks incredibly good and doesn’t show every piece of dust and dirt like black does, and it doesn’t get hot.

Go with white/white.

Ok I ordered a plaid with white exterior and white interior, but now Im getting cold feet. Someone convince me to do it, or just hang on to my 2016. My 2016 still has 2 years warranty, only issue is the damn harsh ride and road noise.

Ok I ordered a plaid with white exterior and white interior, but now Im getting cold feet. Someone convince me to do it, or just hang on to my 2016. My 2016 still has 2 years warranty, only issue is the damn harsh ride and road noise.
For me, it was considering that my 2016 (S) was about to fall off a cliff in terms of value. I felt like by keeping it much longer that was going to be real expensive time in terms of depreciation and potentially repairs.

Consider what your current car is worth now, and what it’s going to be worth in a year or two. I think you’ll draw the same conclusion. The one benefit I had was there were 2014 and 2015 model year S’s available that I could look at.

Last edited:
I have other posts on how much my '22 MX LR is superior to my '16 P 90D. It's like a different car. 100% improvement. Go for it, you'll love it, but I don't see any value in Plaid. The LR is knock-your-socks-off fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman