Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So perhaps the difficulty is if the stock price remains below $450. If the stock price goes up to say $500 then those who need to cash out will fetch a good price on the open market. It seems this would obviate the need to raise the offer price.

Mmm, not so sure. Basically the question is whether there are a stockholders owning a lot of stock who both (a) think the stock is worth significantly more than the buyout price, and (b) aren't able to follow the company into private status for whatever legal reason. If there are, there would be objections and lawsuits and basically he'd have to raise the price to appease enough of them to reduce it to a small number. There would probably still be lawsuits. And if Tesla does really well, some of them would win (if you say "I was forced to sell at $420 due to the delisting, I knew Tesla would be worth $2000 next year, and the appraisal for the liquidity event says I was right", you have a bit of a case), but as long as it wasn't a large number, the payouts wouldn't be material. If it was a large number, the payouts would be material.

I hope Musk really has figured out a way to let *every* stockholder stay in private equity, but I just can't imagine how. If he does figure it out this will be one complicated deal, with endless footnotes. More likely he'll figure out how to handle maybe 90%+ of stockholders but not all.

I think this will get a lot funkier before settling down.

So far, Tesla was not up for sale. It was not in play. When Tim cook approached, Elon said it's not for sale and he backed off. Now that the company is up for a deal, the dynamic changes. Tesla's board will have to entertain all comers from Apple, Google, sovereign funds who might want to take control, etc. The board is obligated to act in the best interest of shareholders.

If Apple offers 500, and a majority go with it, (somewhat unlikely), Elon will end up swapping his stock for AAPL, which would suck for him and his compensation plan. Honestly, I feel this was a mistake to put TSLA in play.

He hasn't put TSLA in play. That would only happen if he was squeezing out existing shareholders. He isn't. Everyone can stay in. He might need very little money to take out the few shareholders who think 420 is a high price. If Apple offers 500 (which they could do at any time without Musk's offer), and also offered to keep anyone in who wanted in, Apple would probably not end up with a large stake in Tesla. And it would certainly be less expensive for Apple just to buy shares in the open market now.

The shorts, as they cover, are also going to be buyers, like it or not. The question now is not about who is buying, but who is going to sell, and at what price?

Not happy with this abrupt change.

$420 is NOT enticing at all. If Elon and Tesla actually deliver profits in q3 and q4, which Elon was highly confident about just 6 days ago, we could easily be at $500-600. That's the way to get rid of shorts, execute rather than play games.

$420 IS LOW LOW LOW

If this goes through, either I get a measly $420 or I go with the private option where I have very little liquidity and less clarity about my investment than would be required for a public company.

On the other hand, at least I'll be done with the never ending soap opera.

Still very unhappy though. We were finally getting on track...

I understand your sentiment. However, as long as TSLA stays on the public market the shorts will never go away it seems. Sure, let's say they deliver profitable quarter after quarter, keep growing, keep investing profits in to further growth etc. Stock price rises, shorts are forced to cover, BUT new short positions will be taken up at $500, $600 and at $1000 and so on, all with the same core rationale: the business model isn't sustainable and their are ahead of themselves in valuation. I think if the short interest had gradually dropped in the last 2-3 years so that TSLA had become a "normal growth stock" like many other tech stocks then this would not have happened. I mean, there are of course investors who short AAPL, GOOG, AMZN etc. at any given time, who think they're overvalued, but there is no other stock with the level of shorting, vitriol, and resulting lies, FUD and smearing that TSLA has experienced.

So far, Tesla was not up for sale. It was not in play. When Tim cook approached, Elon said it's not for sale and he backed off. Now that the company is up for a deal, the dynamic changes. Tesla's board will have to entertain all comers from Apple, Google, sovereign funds who might want to take control, etc. The board is obligated to act in the best interest of shareholders.

If Apple offers 500, and a majority go with it, (somewhat unlikely), Elon will end up swapping his stock for AAPL, which would suck for him and his compensation plan. Honestly, I feel this was a mistake to put TSLA in play.

Elon has a clear mission, and he does anything and everything possible to accomplish it. Part of the reason to go private is to put more focus on strategic growth. I don't see this ending up in a situation where one entity buys out a controlling stake and starts telling Elon what to do, effectively taking over the mission (presumably profit-oriented).

So how does this work, for Elon to continue his control over the mission? Does it depend on most of the dedicated longs staying in, and continuing their support for Elon? Personally i'm not getting out. Even if i don't understand the depth of the business, i have full faith in Elon to continue doing the best thing. I feel like many other investors think the same. My only worry at this point is the structure of the privatization, and how Elon will continue his control.

He hasn't put TSLA in play. That would only happen if he was squeezing out existing shareholders. He isn't. Everyone can stay in.

Good luck doing that and going private!

Basically I see no way for him to do that. We'll see how many groups he makes arrangements for, but I am pretty darn sure he can't handle everyone (such as people who have 401(k)s which can own stock but not private equity). I seriously doubt he'll manage to fix things for all the foreign retail stockholders. I'm not even sure he can manage to make arrangements for non-accredited investors.

People are going to get squeezed out, even if he manages to let most people stay.

I think this really does raise the possibility of a bidding war, especially since the Saudis are already trying to snap up shares and Tencent said they wanted to get in "early"...

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19 and MXWing

I think whoever does bid on the company will probably also see the value in Tesla going private. Definitely could be wrong here. You raise a very interesting point that I haven’t seen mentioned yet. I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to Apple buying Tesla though. I’ve thought it seemed like a logical move for Apple for years now.
A Tesla is the closest thing to an iPhone there is in the auto world.

I’ve been trying to read back over all the pages I missed this afternoon, and I have seen very little discussion of “financing secured”. This financing seems critical to me but there has been no disclosure by Tesla as to who is providing this financing. Isnt a legal disclosure necessary when a public company secures financing? Or, maybe not when it is under consideration but once it is actually done.

Besides Larry Page, who do we think might provide financing? WS banks are excluded, public companies would have to disclose, so maybe a consortium of private investors who can fly under the radar?

I’ve been trying to read back over all the pages I missed this afternoon, and I have seen very little discussion of “financing secured”. This financing seems critical to me but there has been no disclosure by Tesla as to who is providing this financing. Isnt a legal disclosure necessary when a public company secures financing? Or, maybe not when it is under consideration but once it is actually done.
Oh, there are timing rules about these things. Often the disclosures come *after* the financing is lined up. If you don't hear any disclosures in the next couple of weeks, *that* would be weird.

Oh, there are timing rules about these things. Often the disclosures come *after* the financing is lined up. If you don't hear any disclosures in the next couple of weeks, *that* would be weird.

CNBC reported about 100 times in an hour that if something was really off, Tesla themselves would make a statement to the contrary.

It was noted their silence was confirmation something was in the works.

Elon Musk is not 100% of Tesla even though people forget that.

Reactions: wipster
My nigh instantaneous read on the “Secured Financing” was that management has made the probably well-founded assumption that a supremely large majority of shares and shareholders will follow into the private equity vessel...meaning that Tesla’s cash outlay at the end of the day will be....ah, what’s the term?

Mouse nuts.

For Canadians, it seems tax free vehicles can be used to hold share in private companies:

"It's a well-known fact that shares in publicly traded companies are generally eligible investments for an RRSP. But what about private company shares? Our tax law will allow an investment in a privately owned small-business corporation where you own less than 10 per cent of the issued shares of any class or, if you own more than 10 per cent, you're still arm's-length to the corporation and your total cost of the shares you own is less than $25,000. The rules are complex, so visit a tax pro if you're thinking of making an investment in a private company with dollars from a registered plan."

From: Creative RRSP investments: they could lead to a tax hit

For Canadians, it seems tax free vehicles can be used to hold share in private companies:

"It's a well-known fact that shares in publicly traded companies are generally eligible investments for an RRSP. But what about private company shares? Our tax law will allow an investment in a privately owned small-business corporation where you own less than 10 per cent of the issued shares of any class or, if you own more than 10 per cent, you're still arm's-length to the corporation and your total cost of the shares you own is less than $25,000. The rules are complex, so visit a tax pro if you're thinking of making an investment in a private company with dollars from a registered plan."

From: Creative RRSP investments: they could lead to a tax hit

Thank you very much Zhelco, that covers one of two of my main questions. My other concern is if liquidity suddenly dries up in the options market can I do execute and cash out option covered by my broker as I can't fund my TFSA anymore. And if QuesTrade provides that as an option even. I'll be on the phone tomorrow morning asking them. Unless someone else can be super helpful? :p

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Actually, I'm 100% sure a short squeeze is happening, for the reasons you say and the reasons Gene Munster says. The only question is *where* the price will stabilize after the fact.

Do I understand it right that the necessary condition for short squeeze to happen is that there is not enough current shareholders who do not plan to stick around after Tesla goes private and would be good with cashing in at slightly over offer price and sooner? Can't we actually come up with some estimate on who those would be and how much would they be willing to let go of?

Not happy with this abrupt change.

$420 is NOT enticing at all. If Elon and Tesla actually deliver profits in q3 and q4, which Elon was highly confident about just 6 days ago, we could easily be at $500-600. That's the way to get rid of shorts, execute rather than play games.

$420 IS LOW LOW LOW

If this goes through, either I get a measly $420 or I go with the private option where I have very little liquidity and less clarity about my investment than would be required for a public company.

On the other hand, at least I'll be done with the never ending soap opera.

Still very unhappy though. We were finally getting on track...

Going forward, Tesla's risk will reduce as a private company, growth will be faster. I am a happy TSLA holder, I will be much happier to be an investor in the private Tesla. It will re-IPO in a few years.

I would be really sad if retail investors can't stay in. Knowing Elon, he won't let that happen.

It just happens to be where the largest profit is if this strategy works.

For example:
For target 320, the premium is 94.13, so 42000 - 32000 - 9413 = 587 per call option, so the profit per call option isn't as big
If you do 350, the premium is 74.98, so 42000 - 35000 - 7498 = -6972 per call option, so you'd actually lose money

Based on the current option prices, there's a bell curve that tops off around target price 210 for me

I've attached what I have on my excel sheet to show what I'm talking about.

You are looking at pure calls, but why not look at call spreads? If you also sell a 420 call at the same expiration, then that reduces your initial purchase cost of the lower leg and makes for a different profitability calculation. If you want to keep the shares and assume that 420 is the final offer by Tesla, then you could sell 425 or 430 calls as those would be OTM and your shares wouldn't be called away.

I did this with Jan 19 options and got 360-420 and 370-420 spreads at different times yesterday for 23.5 meaning that it's 150-180% gain if TSLA indeed delists for 420.

Status
Not open for further replies.