Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with a targeted Internet campaign, I think Tesla would benefit greatly from a TV show, something like NightRider meets Miami Vice. Look what MV did for Ferrari. Bonus if the hero/heroine could be fighting global warming. Does anyone have Hollywood connections?
I think we need more Uber drivers with Model 3's...

Along with a targeted Internet campaign, I think Tesla would benefit greatly from a TV show, something like NightRider meets Miami Vice. Look what MV did for Ferrari. Bonus if the hero/heroine could be fighting global warming. Does anyone have Hollywood connections?
While it sounds like a good idea on the surface, I suspect in reality any attempt to do so with a climate angle would come off as disingenuous and actually hurt the brand more than help, with the target audience (as kids these days can be very cynical, when it comes to brands trying to associate themselves with things important to them).

Sneaking Teslas into more shows/movies without fanfare (i.e., never ever do the product placement move of talking about the vehicle ever) however might work. You have to be subtle, and ensure that it appears the vehicle was chosen by the production, not foisted upon them by the studio and advertisers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Scuttlebutt
A $650 million loan isn't chump change. Shouldn't it be readily found with an internet search along with the identity of the lender? Will see in a month if it shows up on the Debt table in the 10Q.
I suspect they would structure it so that a wholly-owned subsidiary (Tesla Shanghai LLC or something) was the one getting the loan and thus being saddled with the debt. If they do that, would it show up on a 10Q for TSLA (other than that they own a subsidiary)?

Reactions: neroden

Gotta get the roadster into a movie!

My spouse and I have been watching the two seasons of "Salvation" on CBS. This is really more in the SpaceX vein though there have been several subtle Model X placements in both seasons.

Interestingly the story arc of 'Darius' starts as predictable egotistical mad/brilliant scientist, but by the end of second season while still confident and brilliant is putting the future of humanity above his personal safety.

:rolleyes:

FYI, I now own the t-shirt and will proudly wear it. Yes, I own a t-shirt with that exact picture of Elon with the smoke curling up to intertwine with outspace and a planet.

All my friends and family are going to kill themselves laughing (in a good way). We refuse to act like stuffed shirts and old codgers. We got over ourselves a long time ago.

Another FYI, he didn’t smoke marijuana/a blunt/et al... by any definition.

Hey, I ordered one of these too, but it didn't turn up yet :mad:

If Tesla doesn't take control of their narrative, then somebody else will. Actually, that is what happened. Tesla has basically been absent in setting and controlling the narrative, and as a result they've let whoever wants to set the narrative and it's been ugly.

Just focusing on deliveries can help, but it hasn't helped much to date. Many people here are thinking Q3 results will be the magic that shifts everything. Could be true. But maybe not.

I doubt Q3 will do anything at all for media sentiment. Tesla will forever be one of those divisive companies that many people thrive on beating up. In fact that might only get worse the more successful it gets. But if management are serious that they don't need to / don't want to raise equity capital or bonds from here, then this all matters less. Just keep on delivering excellent product and the reward for stockholders will take care of itself in time.

Elon probably feels like much of the working world do at this moment - counting down to the end of 2018. Year-end should allow him some time to look back at his considerable achievements for the year and turn a page on the more difficult aspects of 2018. With the hard nuts of Model 3 and Falcon Heavy already cracked, he should have every reason for optimism for his companies in 2019. And frankly so should we all. Model 3s swarming across the world, Model Y finalisation and unveiling, Semi project moving towards go-live, China factory, BFR flight test (?)... and amidst all that is a material de-risking of Tesla's balance sheet. Sounds like an exciting future to me. These storms about what Elon tweeted or whether he inhaled will look quaint in a few years.

But in a new filing with the Hong Kong stock exchange first reported by Reuters, Evergrande Health says it was informed in July by Faraday Future that the $800 million it received from Season Smart had already been spent, and that Smart King, the joint venture set up between Faraday Future and Season Smart, had been asked to provide another $700 million. As a result, Season Smart had entered into a supplemental agreement to advance $700 million.

At least with Tesla's "cash burn" they produce something, WTF are Faraway Furniture actually achieving, any ideas anyone??

I suspect they would structure it so that a wholly-owned subsidiary (Tesla Shanghai LLC or something) was the one getting the loan and thus being saddled with the debt. If they do that, would it show up on a 10Q for TSLA (other than that they own a subsidiary)?

Yes, ordinarily the subsidiaries would be consolidated, so the assets and liabilities would show.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
Quite a difference since 8/17/17 (the spread is over 9x more for Tesla) :
COMPANYHIGHLOWSPREAD
Amazon100.1897.652.53
Tesla104.8381.7523.08
Tesla high: 11/6/17 Tesla low: 9/7/18

Conventional wisdom is the bond market evaluates risk better than equity markets.

I politely but strongly disagree. Its an often repeated narrative that the bond market evaluates risks better and this is certainly true for almost every company but Tesla.

Don't believe a second that a Bond investor is better informed about Tesla versus anybody else. They read the same nonsense and come to the same wrong conclusions from the balance sheet and quarterly numbers as many other. Also forward looking assessments in a high growth company is clearly not their field of expertise. Actually I believe they don't even try.

Cramer is repeating all the times talking about Tesla "Bond investor know better". In the context of Tesla thats just a complete wrong assumptions.

Better is to ignore them for now. In that respect the Bond rates tell us nothing I am afraid.

The Handelsblatt is the largest and most read economy newspaper in Germany, highly recognized, conservative and one of the most active smear campaign source if we talk Tesla.

I read them to understand their "though process" and usually read a lot of uneducated nonsense and hard to justify conclusions normally quoted by a lot of "Experts".

Today is remarkably different. Its the first time that they clearly state and explain why Tesla's so called German competitions are not competitors at all and have to play catch up for many years to come.

Its in German language.

Warum es die Tesla-Jäger schwer haben werden

It doesn’t matter who you listen to - nobody knows. Nobody can know - since recession timings are indeterminate.

But I won’t be surprised if there is a downturn soon. Republican presidents always leave the country in a recession, going back 30 years.

You can't know the exact timing. But you can know the range. There won't be a downturn soon. There still is a lot of slack in the economy. A lot of people still have a lot of cash on the sidelines. "Everyone" needs to be full invested before the downturn.

I'll say the range here : between April 2020 and October 2020.

Obviously that's pure speculation, but, will be interesting for me to look back once it happens.

Unlike elections or referenda Tesla doesn't need 50% + 1.

It needs ~3% [of new car] consumers [in markets Tesla operates in]. And grow that number ~50% per year, on average.

The 60 largest stock exchanges are worth ~$70T. Getting .08% of those investment dollars and grabbing an average of .08% of those investment dollars every year for 10 years exceeds Tesla's market cap goals.
Yes, exactly.

Maybe this will help you find what you’re looking for. There were several different sources that talked about it and I seem to remember something about phase 1 already approved, but I can’t find that information anymore. We’ve been so distracted by other news that we somehow missed this one:

Tesla reportedly raises registered capital to $680 million for Gigafactory 3 in China, still a lot more to
In the article they estimate 500,000 cars per year for Chinese in 5 years, so around September 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.