Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK and Ireland sub forum - your thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the UK and Ireland sub forum.

Many topics in this sub forum are not really specific to the UK and Ireland so I am wondering why people post in this sub forum and not in the global areas?

Is it that people are not aware of the other areas etc? For those that start threads, why do you start them in this sub forum not in a potentially more specific global thread?

If you don't want to say in public but wish to air your thoughts, please feel free to PM me and I can aggregate and repost anonymously on your behalf.

I am asking as a result of someone querying the content of some posts in UK and Ireland threads and whether they contain information specific to this region or are better posted elsewhere on the forum.

I think this forum section is excellent. As above, I rarely bother looking at any other section. So many things relate specifically to the UK and Ireland, from deliveries, though to RHD specific issues (like changing the air filter) to things that relate to UK and Irish laws and regulations. In addition, it seems that many of the software issues are fairly specific to these regions, because of the way our roads are laid out, the typical weather conditions, or as recently discussed, why wheelie bins are given so much prominence in the visualisation.

Add in that finance arrangements, used sales, vehicle registration requirements, insurance, etc are very much region dependent, and the argument for keeping this section as it is seems compelling.

The forum is pretty busy. There’s a bit too much going on over the entire forum, so it’s nice to be able to focus on thoughts and concerns raised by people in this area. I personally don’t bother looking in the other sub-forums, as that would be a full time job.

Pretty much my exact thoughts - I only ever venture out of the UK forum when I'm doing a search for something, as keeping up with the traffic levels just in this forum is challenging enough. I also think that even if something may not techncially be UK specific, we do tend to have a very different set of challenges and views than other locales do, from deliveries, the side of the road we drive on, laws, energy suppliers and tariffs, RHD specific accessories to name just a few, and trying to separate these nuances out would be extremely difficuly and would result in a much worse user experience.

For me like Cardo and Blokie have said it's about the traffic, some of the other areas of the forum are super busy, I rarely check anything other than this area, occasionally dipping my toe into the Model 3 specific forum.

To add a few more regional differences: electrical standards (Type 2/CCS), home chargers, insurance, electricity suppliers, accessory and equipment suppliers.

Would be hard for UK members to receive relevant advice if these topics were discussed in a global forum. Some topics formed of conjecture could place well within a global forum.

I do check out the other parts of TMC but don't post there as I find it quite hostile due to particularly frequent usage of the disagree function.

• Love
Reactions: M3noob
I live in the UK and France. In normal times, I'd spend around three months in our Suffolk home and the rest at our home in the SW of France but Covid has stopped all that so since I purchased my M3, we've stayed in France. I decided to purchase a LHD Tesla but as we are all part of the Tesla Europe 'sub-empire', 99% of what is discussed about the cars seems relevant to both regions - especially FSD. I have tried to use the 'France' sub-forum but it is a shadow of this one with months going by without any new comments or threads. When I do participate in the UK & Ireland forum, I try only to do so for threads which I know won't be affected by my location and certainly, the information provided by others is always useful.

The forum is pretty busy. There’s a bit too much going on over the entire forum, so it’s nice to be able to focus on thoughts and concerns raised by people in this area. I personally don’t bother looking in the other sub-forums, as that would be a full time job.

That about says it. Also agree with @Glan gluaisne regarding many of the specific differences that affect our discussions. I only rarely take a look at the wider forum ... there's enough going on here.

Many topics in this sub forum are not really specific to the UK and Ireland so I am wondering why people post in this sub forum and not in the global areas?

The thing is even if a topic starts with a no geographic specificity, it usually creeps in somewhere along the way. Possibly the only thread I can think of where that didn't happen was Red vs Blue but even then the pictures of cars in Florida or LA sunshine looked like they were taken on a different planet :D

Is it that people are not aware of the other areas etc? For those that start threads, why do you start them in this sub forum not in a potentially more specific global thread?

If you don't want to say in public but wish to air your thoughts, please feel free to PM me and I can aggregate and repost anonymously on your behalf.

I am asking as a result of someone querying the content of some posts in UK and Ireland threads and whether they contain information specific to this region or are better posted elsewhere on the forum.
It is fine. No need to change. If people are not interested in a particular post they don’t have to read it.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
It is fine. No need to change. If people are not interested in a particular post they don’t have to read it.

Its really about why people do not use the global forums and post/read here instead.

The UK and Ireland sub forum is a bit of an outlier with it being used to support a large range of topics and its raised a few eyebrows elsewhere that a largely independent sub forum contains many non region specific topics.

As others have said I welcome the level of activity on the UK and Ireland Forum, lots of useful information and opinions shared.

Reactions: mjmherts