Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade 2021 SR+ to 2021 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take you point but the OP is in a 2021 car already, so your list ends up as:

"it's not just the power, all wheel drive, subwoofer, 13 speakers, ambient lights"

And then add in the SR+ can charge to 100% with impunity and the LR can't, so take 90% of the LR range and compare that to 100% of the SR+ range and you get 278 miles v 0.9 x 360 = 324 (call it 50 miles more).

What we really need is the BT42 battery in the UK with the extra 5 kwh of battery

Not doubting that the 50 miles may well be worth having, but it's also worth being clear when spending other peoples money :)
You fail to mention 250kw v 170kw charging so that 50 miles is not correct over a longer distance also i don't recall referring to the OP's car as my SR+ was a 2020 model so my comment stands

Reactions: sho12345678
You fail to mention 250kw v 170kw charging so that 50 miles is not correct over a longer distance also i don't recall referring to the OP's car as my SR+ was a 2020 model so my comment stands
I just took your list and cut the stuff the OP already had. When answering somebodies question its customary to consider them and not yourself.

And peak charge rates are a bit irrelevant anyway, its the area under the curve. The SR+ may be worse than just the 170kw limit if last winter is anything to go by though although the batteries in the LR aren't excatly outperforming the 2020 and before batteries.

I just took your list and cut the stuff the OP already had.

And peak charge rates are a bit irrelevant anyway, its the area under the curve. The SR+ may be worse than just the 170kw limit if last winter is anything to go by though although the batteries in the LR aren't excatly outperforming the 2020 and before batteries.
The new SR+ with LFP charges considerably slower than the previous one

I swapped my 2019 SR+ for a 21 LR and extremely glad I did, extra range just makes life a lot easier and the heat pump seems to have made a big difference to overall efficiency. SR+ winter range was pretty crappy. If you have the new LFP battery and can change to 100% that might negate some of those gains.

And as you noted residuals are so good the finances also made sense. Not sure LR will have better residuals that SR+, think the lower price point helps and SR range still much better than a lot of its competitors.

interesting - popped my SR+ on motorway.com and they’re estimating £41.5k where I paid £39500 (was discounted just before end of the quarter when they actually had inventory). so on the face of it I might be able to clear the finance on my SR+ depending on the interest penalty they fancy putting on and get most/all of my deposit back. But would still leave me needing to finance another £100pm for an LR. Slightly tempted as some of my longer trips do need a top up on the way back, but 95% of my trips don’t.

Maybe that’ll increase as the years go on and the battery/range drops, and the LR would mean I’d have more buffer to not fuss about topping up to 100% the morning of a long trip etc.

Anyone had experience settling a Tesla loan? Can’t see an easy place to get a figure in the account pages on tesla.com. And importantly can you sell to motorway.com and have them settle directly or will i need a spare £40k in my pocket as a bridge?

Another consideration for me is the new 60kwh battery coming to MIC SR, which is quite a jump over the 2019 SR and not that far away from heavier and less efficient 74kwh LR in the real world.

I see UK doesn't have the new 82kwh (614 wltp) for LR like Europe does, so looks like we're still getting older hardware.

I'll wonder what'll come first: 60kwh SR or 81 AWD

Another consideration for me is the new 60kwh battery coming to MIC SR, which is quite a jump over the 2019 SR and not that far away from heavier and less efficient 74kwh LR in the real world.

I see UK doesn't have the new 82kwh (614 wltp) for LR like Europe does, so looks like we're still getting older hardware.

Do we think the current Nov estimated delivery could have the new SR+ batteries?

I believe its the other way round, if the 60kwh SR+ battery is still LFP then its heavier than the batteries in the LR, at least on a per kwh basis. One of the reasons they're not using the LFP batteries on the bigger capacity cars is simply size, the LFP has lower energy density.

But overall, if someone os looking to change, I'd sit tight until the end of the month. Strong suggestions that the MY will be available next quarter, the LFP battery didn't do well at the end of last year in winter but Tesla are said to have fixed the issues, there is talk of battery changes, there will be the 2022 updates coming in Nov if its like last year (probably not a big change, but something usually updates now at the end of the year), so you could change and find by the time you pick it up something else is coming along. While thats universally true with Tesla, there are more things in the near pipeline that usual.

I believe its the other way round, if the 60kwh SR+ battery is still LFP then its heavier than the batteries in the LR, at least on a per kwh basis. One of the reasons they're not using the LFP batteries on the bigger capacity cars is simply size, the LFP has lower energy density.

But overall, if someone os looking to change, I'd sit tight until the end of the month. Strong suggestions that the MY will be available next quarter, the LFP battery didn't do well at the end of last year in winter but Tesla are said to have fixed the issues, there is talk of battery changes, there will be the 2022 updates coming in Nov if its like last year (probably not a big change, but something usually updates now at the end of the year), so you could change and find by the time you pick it up something else is coming along. While thats universally true with Tesla, there are more things in the near pipeline that usual.

Weight per KWH totally agree, but looking like LFP SR is still 120kgs lighter than the latest battery LR. Same weight as the old US LR RWD.

In one of Bjorn's videos the 55kwh MIC had 5kwh buffer at the start, this got reduced in with an update to 1.5kwh.

It'll be interesting to see how the LFPs perform this winter, they must have alot of data to work from and with the updates to and heat pump heat management (early software sucking too much heat from battery) I hope they are better.

Last edited:
Weight per KWH totally agree, but looking like LFP SR is still 120kgs lighter than the latest battery LR. Same weight as the old US LR RWD.

In one of Bjorn's videos the 55kwh MIC had 5kwh buffer at the start, this got reduced in with an update to 1.5kwh.

It'll be interesting to see how the LFPs perform this winter, they must have alot of data to work from and with the updates to and heat pump heat management (early software sucking too much heat from battery) I hope they are better.
Makjes sense and the weight is goiing to be heavier from the extra motor too. It will be interesting if they can sort it out, a cold battery first thing in the morning is still a cold battery, and then the new M3P battery was really poor first thing in a morning especially if below 50% SoC. As you say they have the data, but physics might still be physics. I'm quite happy to be "stuck" with my 2020 LR battery at the moment until the dust settles on the newer ones..

The SR+ vs LR vehicle difference is around 120 Kg. A lot of that is the extra motor/gearbox/inverter/driveshafts/stereo amp and sub etc.

Previously the difference was 235kg so I presume that means the LFP battery is 115kg heavier than the earlier SR+ battery if all other components remain the same weight in both the SR+ and LR.

Does Tesla not still offer trade-in deals when they need new stock and need to get rid of stock?

They contacted a friend of mine before the new model 2021 came out and offered him a great deal to upgrade to 2021 model.

Hoping they will some deals when the Model Y is launched

what is ‘real world’ motorway mileage? For long trips I’m finding the SR+ has a ceiling around 190-200 at 73mph cruise control (with some 50mph variable speed sections). Would a LR get me closer to 300 (so those 200 mile round trips would be no brainers without a stop)?

I have £31700 to settle to tesla on my SR+ so that would give me £10k if motorway pay me what they say which would make a LR tesla loan doable.

what is ‘real world’ motorway mileage? For long trips I’m finding the SR+ has a ceiling around 190-200 at 73mph cruise control (with some 50mph variable speed sections). Would a LR get me closer to 300 (so those 200 mile round trips would be no brainers without a stop)?

I have £31700 to settle to tesla on my SR+ so that would give me £10k if motorway pay me what they say which would make a LR tesla loan doable.

Take a look at this table. It should help you answer your question.