Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V8.0 Autopilot Update to Use Radar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if the question has already been answered, but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Since the radar will now be used as a primary sensor with the camera will the auto braking for autopilot occur earlier now? I do not know the technicals of it, but I am wondering if radar can see further than the camera (I know there is a max distance the camera can see). Currently it causes the Tesla to be a bit of a late braker. If you are driving at 50 mph and come up on a stopped car at a red light it will stop, but waits far longer than I would to brake.

Any ideas, or thoughts?

I don't think anyone outside of the beta program knows this answer. The main thrust of the v8.0 whitelist approach is to capture stationary objects in the road which the camera hasn't flagged as dangerous/noteworthy.

Most automotive radar has a range of either 100m/330ft or 200m/660ft - I don't know for certain what the limits of the range are in the Bosch unit we have, or how long it will wait before braking (though they said it will be five times faster in 8.0)