Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice chat for Tesla fans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In similar light to the TMC Chat Room? thread, I have a desire to extend the Tesla community in a way that enhances communication and allows the global community to become more close-knit. Since we already have forums and an IRC chat room, the obvious next step is to add voice.

As a PC gamer, many of my strongest friendships have been with people who I regularly talked with on my voice chat (VoIP) servers. While much of the focus of multi-user VoIP is to make teamwork in games highly efficient and effective, it works just as well for many other purposes. If you can do it over the phone, you can do it even better with VoIP. No need to worry about available talk minutes or other costs and limitations you get with a phone. If anything, your ISP might have a monthly data usage cap, but we're seeing less of that these days, and the bandwidth requirements of VoIP is very minimal anyway, a drop in the bucket compared to most things the Internet is used for.

So, with that in mind, I've created a Mumble server just for Tesla enthusiasts.

Mumble is a multi-user VoIP program with high quality and low latency, much better than you can get over the phone. It can be downloaded from the Mumble website and is available for most major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS). For those who care, it is open source.
I've been running a Mumble server for over 7 years, replacing TeamSpeak which I hosted for 4 years. My passion for Mumble is nearly as strong as it is for Tesla and Linux.

Server details:
Tesla Motors Enthusiasts
Address: voice.pilot51.com
Port: 64739

This is a virtual server running alongside my primary Mumble server that I use with my Tesla-less friends. While it is publicly listed so other Mumble users who may have an interest in Tesla can discover it, it is only meant to be used by Tesla fans and anyone else may be asked to leave, or banned if they refuse. This is, of course, to prevent the community from becoming diluted and losing its purpose as a community with a common interest in Tesla. That doesn't mean we should be talking about Tesla all the time, I think it would be fun to play some games with other Tesla fans or do other activities that help keep the community active, but as enthusiasts I would expect that Tesla remains a frequent topic.
The permission system is extremely powerful, people can be given control over individual channels and make it private for their group if they wish. I've already created a channel for TMC of Michigan where only verified members of the group will be able to enter. One cool feature is that you can add a user avatar and comment (HTML supported) that is viewed when someone hovers their mouse over your name. On mine, I have my slightly modified TMC signature and a picture of my car.

If you join and nobody else is on the server, you will probably see me in the Inactive channel, which means I'm either away or I'm at my computer and just not actively using Mumble. If you stick around long enough for me to notice, you can expect me to say hi. If not, feel free to leave a text message and return later.

Hope to see you there!