Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning for those charging using 120v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take is, that OP was unplugging as it was tapering off to 90%.

And that "Taper" is probably pretty wide because of being on 120V.

I think you can charge to 70, 80, or 90 on 120V or 240V and be fine, but just let it "finish" most of the time.

90% isn't some magic target. And I don't think it "balances" after the charge is done, it does not "trickle charge". Nothing it being sent to the car after the charge is done. But the OP stopped the charge BEFORE it was done.

I am really screwed than... I only do 8 to 10 miles a day during the work week but I went ahead and installed a 240v 14-50 on a 50amp circuit... so my average charge time is ~20 minutes or less...

It will be fine.

Either don’t set to high a target like 70-80
And charge nightly.

Or charge higher, like 90, but don’t plug in every night. And let it drop to say 50-60. Then charge back to 90.

You can also slow the current down by lower the amps in the car. But that’s not needed.

Problem is the OP repeatedly unplugged near the end of the charge right when it was balancing the batteries.

.....So I don't care if it's inefficient to charge at 120 volts, it's free. The question is: is it bad for the car to charge at 1440 watts every time?...
no, it’s not bad for the car, keep doing it! I’ve been charging daily on 120V for 4 years, but then supercharging multiple times every couple of weeks (road trip). I’m still at 235 mi on my 70D, which is close to the original 240 mi.

Reactions: mswlogo
I am really screwed than... I only do 8 to 10 miles a day during the work week but I went ahead and installed a 240v 14-50 on a 50amp circuit... so my average charge time is ~20 minutes or less...
Drive more miles! EVs are best for lots of cycling and miles. Get a used Leaf for that commute.;);););););) P.S., I keep mine at 50-60% until the night before my next road trip.

the biggest problem with 120 V charging, is that it takes 2-4 days to reach a full charge, which means a longer amount of time at a higher SOC (on an average weighted basis). Keep the battery close to 50% SOC, on an average weighted basis, no matter what your driving pattern, and you’ll be fine.

Drive more miles! EVs are best for lots of cycling and miles. Get a used Leaf for that commute.;);););););) P.S., I keep mine at 50-60% until the night before my next road trip.

Get a leaf?! What?! No way.... I find myself just sitting in my Tesla when I have no where to go I love it so much ;)

I keep mine at 80% SOC, but I might lower it some now that I’m used to how quick it charges and my driving habits.