Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was going to sell my Model 3 to help pay for a Model Y...then I got rear ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, just hoping to get some advice on how to handle this messy situation thats come up. I have a Model Y delivery coming up in December (estimated) and was going to sell my 2020 Model 3 SR+ to put towards this purchase. Unfortunately the Model 3 got rear ended recently and although the damage to the rear bumper is very minor, it seems most certified auto body shops around where I am are booking into the new year already. The damage is so minor its barely even noticeable, but I still doubt anyone would want to buy a used Tesla with even minor damage. I have a fairly new truck I could sell as well, but was hoping to keep this until the Cybertruck becomes available.

I think my options are probably:
  1. Take delivery of the Y and sell the 3 after its fixed, try to re-finance after the fact to lower payments
  2. Sell my truck and lose out on all the usability that goes with it, but potentially avoid further depreciation and definitely avoid future gas cost (not that I drive it all that much)
  3. Try to delay accepting delivery of the Y as long as possible? I don't know how long I can do this for but I doubt they'd let me delay upwards of 1 month
  4. Try to sell the 3 unfixed. Super minor damage but still would affect how much I could get I'm sure.
I appreciate any insight anyone can give, I'm just stressing out about what to do.